Time Survivor

PhilJeffries

edit: added start screen to top of thread
NZK0xmg.png

9tTgdOu.png

SW0fsAb.png

gC6sdaq.png

*edited a bit

For my WIP, I built up a world of completely custom sprites, music, tiles, etc etc. tried to remove every trace of the tutorial assets, and add in some extra bits to tweak the adventure module a little.

It’s loosely based on the comics that I write, which has a running video game element, where some characters are players of this very widely played mmorpg called Time Survivor, which has a focus on time travel.

As for a the game engine, it’s pretty bare bones:
•walk around different areas
•find two different npcs that give you attacks
•figure out which blocks are breakable by shooting lasers at them
•enter the dungeon part, but there is no warp out

Let me know what you think!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DO237l32fo0_hA4cYzQ82iQd9kQXymsB/view

Last edited:

dale_coop

Staff member
Hey PhilJeffries, it's beautiful! Wow congrats, will definetly follow this WIP. Love the art style.

PhilJeffries

Thanks!
Love Earthbound and that style! I’m definitely going for something that looks really clean and crisp. Trying to avoid anything looking super grid-based by trying to be creative with extra environment objects.

Some updates:
0yYjmRm.png

3aGUFuv.png

so i got some eh.. interesting feedback via imgur comments. (mainly that the player character looks a bit like kirby) so I went ahead and added some more detail, even though he doesn't have eyes or a mouth in the comic.

changed a couple other sprites,
added custom blood splatter when killing enemies

download the new version:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fw8uFTTLPy-Tvi47PFNN_pei-arGgdCn/view?usp=sharing

SerafukuSoftware

I'm a huge fan of the aesthetics you've got going on with your game so far, the art-style and colours are very nice.
Not gonna lie, I'm very curious about your comic which Time Survivor is based upon and wouldn't mind checking it out in the future :D

Keep up the awesome work, defs looking forward to updates!

PhilJeffries

Hey I really appreciate the positive feedback on the graphics!
Illustration and design is my main focus, so I’m really hoping my experience with art makes up for my complete lack of programming skill.

I forgot to mention dale_coop for being a total champion, and helping me with some basic health bar stuff! Massive thanks!

Serafuku, super nice of you to ask about my comics! Here’s a link to my site, which has some previews of the books and links to some other stuff in the about section:
https://www.curtistinsley.net

I work a hectic job on the weekends, so I wasn’t able to get much done. I’m gonna start writing and re-writing some of the dialogue to better clarify the setting and plot today though.
Maybe a new build soon!

dale_coop

Staff member
Thank you for keeping us informed of the progress of your game, it’s very interesting.

And if you have questions, issues, don’t hesitate to ask. Always a pleasure to help for NESMaker games!

This is really awesome!!!
Please keep up the great work, and most importantly follow you gut. :)
I'll definitely play this soon.

SerafukuSoftware

You're very much welcome, and I just checked out your comic previews and honestly I'm blown away. The covers look beautiful and I love the variety you have in your art-style. Seeing that being transferred into graphics for the NES is just awesome. It's inspired me with some of the graphics in my game, especially the dithering and anti-aliasing effects, so Thank You!

Illustration and design is also more of my cup-of-tea than programming is currently, more effort is being put into the graphics than the gameplay thus far. lmao. Though with the help of people on the forums here, It's a good learning experience. You're way ahead of me both in terms of art and gameplay. I'm always keen for future builds!

I'm not sure if you're planning to but you should definitely submit Time Survivor into the NESMaker Byte-Off Competition, even if it's still a W.I.P., Demos are accepted and you never know you may win a prize or two.

PhilJeffries

all the kind words about the art and graphics are so appreciated! means a lot that you guys are into Time Survivor's aesthetic!
that dithering and anti-aliasing stuff i picked up way back in the day on the pixelation.net forums (anybody remember way of the pixel?)

actually, i was considering entering Time Survivor into the competition, and all the positive reinforcement is really pushing me towards going for it!
dumb question, what's the proper way to submit an entry??

Also, I made some final box art:

mBc8Gpe.png

pen & ink on bristol (japanese title included), scanned at 600dpi, colored and smashed into a template!
hope you dig it!

dale_coop

Staff member
PhilJeffries said:
dumb question, what's the proper way to submit an entry??

Of course you will! Love your game!
For the submission, we will have more info on March 1st.
I suppose the last tab in “Project Settings” will be useful ;)

PhilJeffries

Hmmmm, last tab in project settings? Overflow Ram?
I'm still on version 4.1.0, does that matter?
I was going to update after Time Survivor was completed, so as not to accidentally ruin something i cannot fix!
If updating is a requirement, i will muscle through it though

dale_coop

Staff member
Ah ah ;) The new tab for the competition is on the 4.1.5
You should update, it will not affect your project... But you have to follow the steps :
1/ backup your NESMaker folder (just in case).
2/ Update to the 4.1.1 following all the steps fro here: http://joshuafallon.com/nesmaker/?fbclid=IwAR1ZQaSV0CURv4vQv02i6BcKAM2u8zTpvwXfeye5uCeubdqc7lNThc2drnc
3/ when you are in NESMaker 4.1.1 select the menu "Help > check and updates" and it will update your NESMaker.exe to the most recent one. No risk for your project.

:)

Top Bottom