Scrolling making player go too far to the right.

DanielT1985

This might be way past the limitations of NESmaker, but I was wondering if there was a way to change the scrolling settings so the play stays in the middle when scrolling both left and right.

DanielT1985

dale_coop said:
Check that post
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2091

I tried editing both SCROLL_RIGHT_PAD and SCROLL_LEFT_PAD... they just cause an error that literally makes me have to load a backup... I'm being serious.

dale_coop

Staff member
I think you just need to slightly change those values (specifically the "SCROLL_RIGHT_PAD" one in your case)

DanielT1985

dale_coop said:
I think you just need to slightly change those values (specifically the "SCROLL_RIGHT_PAD" one in your case)

I got it to go down to 150, but it's still a bit too far to the right.

Mugi

128 is #$80 which is the middle of the screen.
setting pad_right to smaller than 80 will try to make the screen scroll before you pass the middle of the screen, which is a terrible idea.

dale_coop

Staff member
NES game dev is a lot of experiments... just don't forget to write down the old values (or make backups) before going wild experimenting ;)

DanielT1985

dale_coop said:
NES game dev is a lot of experiments... just don't forget to write down the old values (or make backups) before going wild experimenting ;)

So if 160 and 150 are not only the only ones that work (for me) but are still too far to the right, then what would be a good number to have to at least give the player a greater view of what's ahead of them?

drexegar

So if 160 and 150 are not only the only ones that work (for me) but are still too far to the right, then what would be a good number to have to at least give the player a greater view of what's ahead of them?
[/quote]

My sweet spot is 130, it doesn't crash and seeing how even official games on nes was even smaller, this is fair.

Also for scrolling one direction, you do want to be past the middle, makes it hard for small backtracking paths.

Top Bottom