Mermay's Den

CutterCross

That's pretty awesome! Nice to see you got it running on all sorts of hardware!

Game looks pretty good too! All it needs is an NES version of Aquatic Ambience (DKC) in the background XD

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
That's pretty awesome! Nice to see you got it running on all sorts of hardware!

Game looks pretty good too! All it needs is an NES version of Aquatic Ambience (DKC) in the background XD

Hmm, I like that idea. Been wracking my brain over just what type of musical mood I want to set. Want something dark and atmospheric, but not overly sinister or broody as it'll get lighter as you move up towards the surface.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
Hmm, I like that idea. Been wracking my brain over just what type of musical mood I want to set. Want something dark and atmospheric, but not overly sinister or broody as it'll get lighter as you move up towards the surface.
Ambience is definitely a good mood to set for this sort of game. Depending on how long you're planning the game to be you might want multiple songs for different screens (like in the darker sections the music is more atmospheric but the lighter sections are more inspiring/hopeful etc.)

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Mihoshi20 said:
Ambience is definitely a good mood to set for this sort of game. Depending on how long you're planning the game to be you might want multiple songs for different screens (like in the darker sections the music is more atmospheric but the lighter sections are more inspiring/hopeful etc.)

Yeah, that's what I'm going for as it'll be fairly lengthy, but I also plan for a common melodic theme. Think something like Super Mario World where it had different moods but a common recurring melody.

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Well if you need any help with music I'm always open for commissions! (Though you probably already know that.)

True true and I will indeed as I'm as tone deaf as can be to my dismay.

Mihoshi20

Thanks to a little notational wizardry from CutterCross, mermay's Den now has a bit of level music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxBtT6aFDGY

Mihoshi20

TheNew8bitHeroes said:

Thanks to the efforts of MistSonata, Mermay's Den also now has diagonal movement! The original concept I had in my head for Mermay's Den is already falling into place and NESmaker is just only a few versions old! This is going way faster then my first buggy mess of a project that i was cobbling together on my own out of raw ASM.

Mihoshi20

TheNew8bitHeroes said:
That's super validating to hear :)

It really is like night and day. I've learned so much about the NES and how it works by just toying around and experimenting with NESmaker then the three years of tudying the NESDEV reading the many technobabble filled 'tutorials' by people who know the hardware far too well to layout the information in a comprehensible 'walkthrough' way for those not used to working directly with the hardware. Understanding how polling the inputs worked was the wost. I knew what to do with the data once it was read but it jut wasn't clicking otherwise. Same with writes to the PPU. NESmaker flung those doors right open in a hands on manner where I could poke around and see what happens or what breaks. Thanks to NESmaker I now not only have an understanding of coding for the NES but everything else fell into play also. Like how the mapper hardware in the carts work and how they interface with the CPU and PPU. I'd still be struggling to wrap my head around it let alone have my game running on NES hardware variants like the Playchoice 10 or Vs. System. This alone has made NESmaker more then worth it and the time you graciously dedicate to it. :D

Mihoshi20

While Joe and the team has been toiling away tirelessly on the next version of NESmaker, I too was slaving away in my nerd den over a hot burning hex editor poking around and studying sheets of technobabble all weekend, but it was far worth it as I managed to give Mermay's Den on the Playchoice 10 a custom menu and instructions screen. I was nearly at the end of giving up though when I made a major breakthrough as the little I know about the 6502, I knew even less about the Z80.

Attachments

• MermaysChoice10a.jpg
    MermaysChoice10a.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 3,430

dale_coop

Staff member
Oh wow, good job Mihoshi!
Do you have a Playchoice 10 arcade machine (to test on real hardware)?

Mihoshi20

dale_coop said:
Oh wow, good job Mihoshi!
Do you have a Playchoice 10 arcade machine (to test on real hardware)?

Sadly no, so I won't ever know how it behaves on the real hardware until I can make arrangements with someone who does and burn the roms or get a board myself to test on the real deal. That is a goal eventually though as emulation only gets you so far and a local arcade has one but there'[s no telling how thay'd take to me poking around in their machine. LOL.

Mihoshi20

With version 0.10 of Mermay's Den being shown off in Joe's latest video and the version on the convention floor during the launch event. I thought I'd give a sneak peek at what to expect.
MermaysDen010b_003.png
MermaysDen010b_006.png
MermaysDen010b_010.png

Mihoshi20

dale_coop said:
Yeah, saw the video, this morning. Excellent job, very nice design. And I like your weapon.

Many thanks. As the release date draws ever closer, I find myself getting more excited that more people will be getting the chance at playing around with the tool.

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
I really like those new level layouts! I think the octopus is my favorite.

Many thanks. They were fairly fun to design and see just how far I could push the simple tile set. I'd always planned for a octopus or squid like boss inspired by the one from Mario RPG and speaking of which, the sunken ship is my favorite part inspired by the one in Mario RPG and the ghost ship from super mario world. If I had more time I'd have had you write up a level theme for it inspired by DKC2's Klomp's Romp and hot-head bop for another level but thus is the way of deadlines. LOL.

Top Bottom