Sample Projects for NESmaker ???

erockbrox

So I downloaded the program and opened it and just tried to figure it out without reading or watching any instructions on it. I actually found it kind of difficult to wrap my head around everything.

In comparison, Lunar Magic a Super Mario World rom hacking editor, all you have to do is open the rom and everything is already there. The level already loads data the controls are already set up and you can easily create a level and hit save and presto.... you have a game.

So why not for NESmaker have some sample projects, basically per-built games that people can use as a base to then start their projects?

Because seriously, I opened up NESmaker and tried to make something and didn't really understand it. The program should be somewhat self explanatory and easy to use and pick up.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t think any current from scratch game development engine is that intuitive. I don’t think someone could just pick up gamemaker or unity with zero instruction or research and come out understanding it’s workings. Every program will have it’s quirks.

A rom hacker is just moving around existing assets. THIS tool, much more like gamemaker or unity, starts with zero assets, because there is no indicator as to what you’re going to create. It’s not hard to learn to make palettes, make graphocs using the pixel editor, make tiles, and paint screens. I’ve watched 5th graders doing it without issue. But yes, you’ll have to at least look at a walkthrough. That’s how this can be versatile and not just make the same game over and over.

erockbrox

Yeah, so a while back I paid for a license for Game Maker Studio 2. Guess what I made with it? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Meanwhile with hacking tools and using preexisting resources I have made several hacks.

I just want to drag and drop stuff in a level. That's all.

dale_coop

Staff member
erockbrox said:
I just want to drag and drop stuff in a level. That's all.

Hmmm... I suppose NESMaker is not exactly what you need.
But if you take the time to watch some of the recent tutorial videos, with the beta assets that actually come with the beta, you can almost do your drag and drop (with some minutes of preparation before that).

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
It’s imposible to make NESmaker flexible AND tether it firmly to a single set of assets. But yeah, with an hour or so of time learning how it works, you can have your own set of assets that will work exactly like you’re wanting it to.

Top Bottom