About that HUD subpallet

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
You can use it for background tiles too! But, as of right now, it is also clamped to the HUD.

So like...if your HUD used blue and red and white, you COULD make a background tile that used the fourth subpal, to make a background tile blue and red and white. If you CHANGE it to green and brown and yellow, your HUD will change to green and brown and yellow.

We originally had that subpal for flowerbeds in Mystic Searches, however since one of the colors ended up being variable depending on the magic you selected, it made the flowers variable, which led to weirdness, so we just relegated it to the HUD. You don't have to though. :)

CutterCross

That's good to hear! For one of my planned games I was planning on using all four subpalettes at once for background assets, one of them being shared with the HUD. I was planning on keeping all the colors non-variable anyway, but it's definitely good to keep in mind how a variable color can mess things up. I'm assuming you're going to un-clamp that fourth subpalette for the full release in August?

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Chances are, the fourth subpal will always be tethered to the HUD without going into code. But there's no reason you couldn't say, ONLY have white and black in your HUD, and use black+two other colors (unused in the hud) to get most of a fourth subpal out. We CONSIDERED this for Mystic Searches, but we wanted the extra colors in the HUD. :)

CutterCross

Oh I know that the HUD will always use the fourth subpalette. What I meant by "un-clamp" was to allow that fourth subpalette to also be used with background tiles ALONG with the HUD. For example, if I wanted that fourth subpalette to be Black, Gray, Light gray, and White (basically grayscale). And I wanted to use all four of those colors for a background tile WHILE also using those four colors for the HUD. Granted the HUD will only be grayscale, but I don't mind that for the project I'm doing.

darkhog

I wish that in hud editor you could set hud attributes so it doesn't need to use 4th palette and separate sections of hud can use different one, but it's okay if you can't.

Top Bottom