NESmaker pi beta (3.14x) and tutorials!

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
This is the beta that was originally dubbed "The Memorial Day" beta, now called the Pi beta (due to it being version 3.14xxx of the tool). You can download the ZIP file for this NESmaker version here, however you can only run it with an activation code, which will only be provided to NESmaker beta backers. If you are a NESmaker beta backer, look for an email from us with instructions.

As for the tutorial series, a few suggestions:
1) Here is the direct NESmaker tutorials for this version, which we will continue to add to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a139v3DjrPQ&list=PL90FP_E2HIa4TiV4S2rKUjuaWkoPg7Hma
** THESE ARE NEWER TUTORIALS, IN PROGRESS. MOST OF THE OLD TUTORIALS STILL APPLY, TOO, FOR SUPPLEMENTAL INFO!

The first video in this is a LONG 2.5 hour excursion into the world of making a Platform game. It presumes that you have a little working knowledge of some of the parts of the tool. The subsequent videos are SHORT videos about various bits of the tool, so if you are watching any of the tutorial videos, or need a reminder/explanation about a particular part, you can simply look at the video for that part.

2) many of the older tutorials still apply! However, you need to supplement the info from the newer tutorials to get everything working right. For instance, this is the old tutorial set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEInmZH8Nq8&list=PL90FP_E2HIa4R14dAFVD5tw1CizYaK57D
** THESE ARE OLDER TUTORIALS, AND IT WOULD BE ADVISED YOU WATCH AT LEAST THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS IN CONJUNCTION WITH THESE TUTORIALS
- https://youtu.be/XZxA8KEl8W0 - HUD DESIGN
- https://youtu.be/C7ep570_wxQ - SCRIPT PICKER

Additionally, check www.TheNew8bitHeroes.com for continual updates!

*** IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THE ABOVE VERSION TO CREATE A TOP DOWN STYLE GAME***
Since I semi-disabled up/down button presses, there may be a conflict where it can't find a certain script when you go to compile. It's a very easy fixed, explained by user Dale_Coop in this thread:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=238

Attachments

• NESmaker_Pi (2).zip
    44.5 MB · Views: 1,190

dale_coop

Staff member
Thanks Joe for that update and for those videos, great vids! I will spend a part of the night watching them.
Love those videos <3

huuanhuynh

Một người Việt Nam tò mò muốn thử, nhưng không biết làm sao để có mã kích hoạt.
A Vietnamese curious to try, but do not know how to get the activation code.
Part of my collection.
https://mightytext.net/z7vAJS

Rob Burrito

Not sure if it was intentional, but the beta assets for the paths are already in RGB, but palettes assigned differently than in your general rule and load differently than in the tutorial (long platformer approx 0:24:00)

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Yep - I want people to play with the things and develop their own methods...trying to show there are lots of ways to do things. :)

Rob Burrito

sounds good, was just alittle confusing since they were already RGB. might not need to make paths more challenging for beginners haha, but good practice. only bug i noted so far was if you put a monster block tile above a ladder top tile, it wont let the player fully ascend the ladder. found that from monsters falling down ladders, have to stop em a block before it seems.

Rob Burrito

at the segment leading up to 2:14:00 on the tutorial (before adding warp addresses), there seems to be a code script issue with creating simple projectile. confirmed the script that was loaded seems to have a default error (also refreshed the code to double check) which creates both the melee object and projectile source (object #$01 and #$02). essentially both objects at once. confirmed it was projectile object by changing the tile, and of course followed the tutorial making it the melee. doesn't seem tough to figure out, just stock it doesn't follow what happens in the tutorial and might need an update. also looking at the code for CreateSimpleProjectileWithMotion seems like you can update the comments "in a later version we will use user defined offsets..."

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Hm - the *facing* issue is almost certainly in your animation. Check your animations, and your animation manager, and make sure that he's facing right when you want him to face right, and facing left when you want to face left. (Literally, in the Left/Right animations for graphics, then in the object info for the directions, pointing to those animations).

As for the double projectile...that's strange. Take a look at the CreateSimpleProj...script. You SHOULD see a CreateObject macro. You should only see it once. That's where this should be happening...and its arguments should be X, Y, (object), (action step). So if it says that object is 1, it should create object 1. If it says object 2, it should create object 2. See if it has more than one CreateObject macro in that script for you. Also, make sure you're using button PRESSED and not button HELD.

Great to see the progress though! :)

Rob Burrito

doh yeah the left animation was still assigned to right, thanks for the fix there! as soon as stand left was assigned to left it updated in the game object screen and in testing. still getting the other double item creation issue, and in the CreateSimpleProjectile, i haven't edited it, and at line 23 the CreateObject command it's

CreateObject temp1, temp2, #$01, testVar

nothing else, and no mention of #$02 anywhere. not sure if it would help but i'm imagining you can use projectile source to create a gun etc that disappears, maybe it was a functionality you meant to turn on/off on another called area of code? projectile source has no info attached to it, i only changed the sprite to confirm which object it was creating.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Hm - first, try changing testVar to #$00. It should ALREADY be #$00, but...just in case.

You're right about the point of projSource, but....that's an old method that shouldn't even factor in here at all. Dumb as it may sound, make sure that your object is not, in its actions, set to *shoot* or something weird like that (like the projectile, shooting a 'monster' projectile?). Monsters create #$02 currently, I believe. Did you try to have any monsters shooting?

Rob Burrito

yeah that was it. had the projectile action step set to shoot straight. calling that projectile then created an action step of shooting object #$02. interesting to know that's possible. when i altered the #$02 to avoid gravity and gave it some speed it was fun to have a double shot with two types of projectile. think both issues were oversight due to trying to keep up with the tutorial live, appreciate the help!

also probably for a suggestions topic, but i just lost about two hours work on pixel editor by accidentally clicking on another folder when switching between windows. to have the pixel editor hold it's state and current project until a new item loaded would save anyone that works within the tool for creating graphic assets a TON of frustration. if it has to clear every time, another way would be while having the editor open, setting a routine to every so often (5 min?) holding the last full bmp as a temp file you can recall with a back or last button whenever accidentally clicking out of there.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Hm - i SHOULD'VE given you a warning about saving...did it not? This is a good potential solution...or even if it exists in a buffer, that is still present if you click on and then off.

dale_coop

Staff member
Ah ah, yeah, it's annoying. But when you experienced it once... you do save every 2 minutes! ;) just in case.

Rob Burrito

yeah a save screen did pop up. makes sense now, but was really confusing to me since i was trying to go to the editor, not away from it. i didn't know the save screen was a thing yet, and thought that cancel would have kept the editor open as it was. instead loaded the part of the tool that was clicked by accident. coulda saved it with that, having the tool save for ya would help idiot-proof it. done for today it's the type of thing that makes you walk away haha. yeah dale i think from here out it's save per completed tile manually for me sorry to hear you lost some work too!

Rob Burrito

at is there an up to date hotkey reference anywhere? in the tutorial you mention F5'ing things, when my delete is just numerical 5, and at 2:14:42 you copy/paste the wall without mentioning the command. i would recommend putting one in the tool itself, as a pop-up window option on the overworld/underworld screens. plenty of room there beside the add group/remove buttons for a hotkey list button haha.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yes, the "5" key, very useful.
I miss the "7" key that used to change the collision data, with the data of the selected tile.
The "0" change the collision data, but only makes it null walkable.
And the "Q", "W", "E" and "R" to change the subpalette (respectively to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th subpal).

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, when I say F5, I mean 5. Trust me, I get all confused, because "5" is a function key that essentially erased tiles...hex value F5 is my personal default for blank tiles, which is, by default, written by the 6 key....sorry if my brain goes cross eyed sometimes. haha. Right now, no F keys are actually used.

And yeah, we want to provide a hotkey popup, as well as a macro definition list. :)

Top Bottom