Nessy The NES Robot (Byte-Off 2019 Demo)

DanielT1985

x3XVo3l.png

Nessy The NES Robot is a game I've been wanting to work on and have been working on for a while.
Made by me & a bunch of other people, this game is a passion project we've been wanting to make for over half a year.
And now that Byte-Off 2019 happened, I got to submit my game for the competition. I know it's been 5 days since that, but I still want to show it to you all anyway.

CREDITS:

-Created & Programmed by: Daniel (@Daniel_T_1985)

-Music made by: Daniel (@Daniel_T_1985)

-Art Director: Morgan (@messyegg)

-Concept Artist: Minty (@Mint_Ivory_196)

-Gem Collectables were made by Lemon (@tr8pper)

-NESmaker Forum Users (Who helped me out in this):
AllDarnDavey - CutterCross - Dale_Coop - Digit2600 - Mugi

DOWNLOADS:

Download the ROM here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14PynLmqqW3bsmefWK6cO7FWUTEL7Plcf

The ROM, since it was submitted for Byte-Off, can also be playable (and available to download) on Nesmaker's Arcade Website for Byte-Off, which can be found on their website.

SCREENCAPS:

yoxgqHy.png
l7xb72M.png

BOXART (Compressed for the sake of not taking up space in this post):

pbKlwla.png

DanielT1985

TakuikaNinja said:
Wow, this game is a blast to play! I'm going to add it to my NES classic later!

I was wanting to hack an NES classic to add games. I do have one I got from 2016, but I'm afraid about bricking it. I'm planning on getting one of those 2018 rerelease ones solely for hacking.

But yeah, I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to add it to an nes classic. That means a lot.

Retrobuster

Been wanting to say that the music in this game is just awesome! There might have been a couple of instances where I played it just to hear the music. ;) The game itself is well done too. Fun to play. Hope you keep going with it!

justadude

*inhale*
Oh boy!
So, as much as i like the game,there are some issues.

(Also this is just my opinion so please don't get offended)

Okay so, the game itself is not that bad it's fine.When i say fine i'm usually 50/50 about something.It's good,but also bad.Now the first issue that i have is...*drumroll* creativity.
I love the creativity of every NESMaker game,but i hate Bogen,but im not going to discuss that now.The game lacks of it,very much of it.
It's the same formula that almost every one is trying to replicate,the Super Mario Bros formula.I would accept it that you used that forumula if you made something fun and creative,to make it stand out from the others.
That is the main problem of this whole game,it needs creativity.The game is not fun,it's just boring when you know what to expect,platforming,enemies,boss.BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ASM!11! is not an excuse,if you
want to make a game that everyone likes,try putting like a fun mechanic.Mygame is also bad because i also forgot creativity.The best examples of a fun game you can see in MOMOC.It's fantastic,it's fun,but most inportantly,it's original.Im not saying that Nessy the NES Robot is unoriginal,but it lacks many,many things.The music is good and the sprites too.But you had an entire month and you made 2 levels.Im giving the demo 4/10.

DanielT1985

justadude said:
*inhale*
Oh boy!
So, as much as i like the game,there are some issues.

(Also this is just my opinion so please don't get offended)

Okay so, the game itself is not that bad it's fine.When i say fine i'm usually 50/50 about something.It's good,but also bad.Now the first issue that i have is...*drumroll* creativity.
I love the creativity of every NESMaker game,but i hate Bogen,but im not going to discuss that now.The game lacks of it,very much of it.
It's the same formula that almost every one is trying to replicate,the Super Mario Bros formula.I would accept it that you used that forumula if you made something fun and creative,to make it stand out from the others.
That is the main problem of this whole game,it needs creativity.The game is not fun,it's just boring when you know what to expect,platforming,enemies,boss.BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ASM!11! is not an excuse,if you
want to make a game that everyone likes,try putting like a fun mechanic.Mygame is also bad because i also forgot creativity.The best examples of a fun game you can see in MOMOC.It's fantastic,it's fun,but most inportantly,it's original.Im not saying that Nessy the NES Robot is unoriginal,but it lacks many,many things.The music is good and the sprites too.But you had an entire month and you made 2 levels.Im giving the demo 4/10.

1. We didn't have a month, we never heard about the deadline until 4 days before the deadline. We had all the assets ready, but not the stage layouts.
2. The SMB Formula is something that we wanted to avoid, but the only things similar to it and this are the grassy design, the jumping on enemies, and the fact it's a platformer. The block course at the end of the demo does have a mechanic for the whole stage, being the bouncy blocks. New Super Mario Bros. DS does have that, in World 1-5, but it's not a big part of that course.
3. It isn't really going for the SMB Formula, in fact, looking back, it's going after the AVGN Adventures formula, where there's a boss at the end of each stage.

We are going to be adding new mechanics to make the game more interesting, and not just a "run around kill enemies reach the end" type of deal. We want to make the game fun, not a job. We also tried to avoid the whole "Save The Princess" deal, and we want to have Scribbles (stated in the story) to go along with Nessy, and not be a damsel in distress. We promise to make this game less SMB or AVGN adventures, but more of its own thing. Thank you for the review.

Bucket Mouse

justadude said:
But you had an entire month and you made 2 levels.Im giving the demo 4/10.

Geez, harsh. Don't listen to that guy, it's great.

Also, there IS a third level and a way to get to it. ;)

dale_coop

Staff member
Bucket Mouse said:
justadude said:
But you had an entire month and you made 2 levels.Im giving the demo 4/10.

Geez, harsh. Don't listen to that guy, it's great.

Also, there IS a third level and a way to get to it. ;)

I am curious to hear what you think about my demo, justadude :p

Dirk

I don't know how I could miss this game back then during the Byte-Off contest. I liked it and also how you could go back, because in my game scrolling works only in one direction and trying to set it to two directional scrolling messes up the graphics badly.

Also... I found the secret stage ^^

Dirk

If you are interested here is the way to get to the highly secretive secret stage!

Stand on this platform
NessyTheNESRobotDemo_01.png

Drop down and press left so you are as close as possible to the blocks
NessyTheNESRobotDemo_02.png

You'll land in a ⬇10 screen. Keep running to the right until...
NessyTheNESRobotDemo_03.png

... you have reached the super secret stage!
NessyTheNESRobotDemo_04.png
NessyTheNESRobotDemo_05.png

Enjoy!

Top Bottom