Dimension Shift

Mugi

dale_coop said:
Yeah fading transitions is what I wanted of my cutscenes...title screens... for the demo, I followed your suggestions and use object actions (end of actions).
But would really love to have a real/solid fading transition system.

This system is good if you intend to use it a lot but if you simply want it for a cutscene and maybe startscreen, it makes no sense to use the fadecode im using.
it's way too large for that sort of thing. to justify the use of this code you will have to use it a lot, othervise, making an objectfader saves you a ton of programspace (not to mentionZP ram, i literally have 2bytes free on ZP because of the fader.)

Mugi

Heya~

Now that the temple stage is out there and the compo is off the way, i finally had time to properly sit down and work on more of the tilesets for the game.

here's Stage B (cavern). The tileset is complete but this particular video still omits background decorations (purple palette is used for drawing some staglamites on the cavern background, i'll show a picture or 2 of that once i actually implement it.)
aside that, the tileset is complete for the most part, minor changes pending.

https://youtu.be/yNLaSToqaNo

main attraction here would be the water (in addition to speed reduction, you appear behind the water and the underwater bridge elements/underwater vegetation.)

Im fairly pleased with this tileset now, and finishing this made me realize just how much in shit i actually dipped myself into, just the thought that i'll have to pull out atleast 3 more tilesets of equal quality gives me the creeps x.x

dale_coop

Staff member
Amazing work! Love the graphics in that cavern <3
Keep goin'... Can"t wait for a release of this game (I'll buy it!).
Your game is awesome, Mugi.

Mugi

dale_coop said:

i'll have to finish it and figure out how to sell it first though, but i'll keep that in mind ;)

Lother

Mugi said:
dale_coop said:

i'll have to finish it and figure out how to sell it first though, but i'll keep that in mind ;)

Maybe you could try to contact Nintendo to distribute it through the NES Online service. I don't know if it will work, but it costs nothing to try.

Mugi

i think i'll just settle on figuring a way to produce a few cartridges and sell them off. but we'll see :p

Chasersgaming

boss fight? right i didn't see this in the demo for byte off. i'm currently playing this now, only levels i have is the temple one, no other. is that correct?

Mugi

Chasersgaming said:
boss fight? right i didn't see this in the demo for byte off. i'm currently playing this now, only levels i have is the temple one, no other. is that correct?

the boss is in the byte off demo too, you'll have to get to the end of the level and use the boss warp platform (white platform with a skull on it) to enter the boss room.
the readme of the compo entry zip file contained a readme with play instructions. it appears that few people who played the demo never figured out that wall climbing is a thing :p

and yeh, the only level in the currently released roms available is the demo version of the temple level. It is being expanded to it's full size as we speak, and i've just finished the basic design of stage B (cavern.)
Once i get some details ironed out from it, and get some monsters made i might update the demo rom (though i might not, since i dont want to spoil everything if i am gonna sell the game.)

regardless, here's how Stage B looks like; it's a staggering 52 screens of good ol' adventuring, with several hidden secrets and 3 entrance points to the temple stage.

Stage_B.png

there's some more surprises coming as far as the game goes, but more about that once we have some details down.

dale_coop

Staff member
Cool... I am curious to see how are playing the screen underwater, I see some platforms on the map (I imagine the gravity feels completly different). Cool!

Mugi

dale_coop said:
Cool... I am curious to see how are playing the screen underwater, I see some platforms on the map (I imagine the gravity feels completly different). Cool!

the gravity is currently normal underwater, only movement speed is affected.
im kinda on the edge if i want to further alter it or not (it actually handles pretty nice atm.) Changing the gravity would be a cool trick, but most of the water sections are either just little pools, or then a fully submerged screen where you cant move much at all vertically, so the impact of that would be really small. (only freely moveable submerged room is at the bottom of the map, and im not sure if i will reuse the water mechanics later on, i kinda like the idea of giving each stage their own gimmick.)

There is something much more interesting in development for this at the moment anyway ;)

Mugi

dale_coop said:
Mugi said:
There is something much more interesting in development for this at the moment anyway ;)

...the teasing!

trust me, i'd LOVE to spit out what it is, but the whole thing is in really early development so i'll have to contain myself and hold onto it for a little while.

Chasersgaming

arh i see, now heres a thing, i have downloaded some roms from the forums to play games from the byte off but some i have played via the website through the web player because it was more convenient to do so at certain times, yours unfortunately wasn't one, so i didn't get the read me files, obviously i will do that now, and now going forward, but others playing from the internet will most likely get a negative experience from the games if certain 'moves' or actions are not explained fully. which would be a shame.
your game is very nice by the way and coming on a treat, il look forward to playing and rating when released. :)

oh mate, i just noticed i can download ALL the roms in one go from the site. oh man.

Mugi

thanks for the compliments but thruth to be told, im not quite happy with what the demo offers of the game.
the basic mechanics are there but it's lacking a lot of polish that has already been put into it since the byte off demo was made, and it's gameplay part was pretty rushed as i've been completely devoting my time into the engine.
only reason the demo even has a stage to play at all was since i had to rush one for the compo, if not for that, i'd propably still be developing features using my 2-screens wide test room.

the way im looking at it, is that it will be far easier for me to develop the game around the mechanics, than to come up and try to code mechanics when i need them.
the cavern stage is a pretty good example of this. A lot of how the cavern ended up looking like was dictated by how the water works on the level (the original cave design was drastically different as it was made before the whole idea of the water came to play.)

dale_coop

Staff member
Agreed. It's a shame to play all those game on the browser... you don't have the full experience (>_<)
Please guys, play this game on a real accurate emulator (or on real hardware !) with a controller!

(And don't forget to try my game, too... with two controllers)

Mugi

here we go with the backdrops in place for the cavern.
gives some extra detail to the plain black walls. I'm almost done stting up the cavern now, and then i can move onto making enemies etc for it.

agame_000.png
agame_001.png

agame_002.png
agame_003.png

as for what else we have been working on, I started programming a shop that will be used for purchasing power ups, and implementing money and associated HUD elements for that.

then there's this:

https://youtu.be/w4gw2ib33KU

now this is in very early development, as such, it ignores the player and other objects so far, but it's a start, it now scrolls in 4 directions.

drexegar

Mugi said:
here we go with the backdrops in place for the cavern.
now this is in very early development, as such, it ignores the player and other objects so far, but it's a start, it now scrolls in 4 directions.

Those caverns look awesome, your going pretty damn far dude with the scrolling.

Top Bottom