Two Players Single Screen Modules [4.1.5]

TolerantX

Also I forgot to ask about the sprite cycling etc... Your script that the sprite cycling script uses is different from the base script that is told to be edited in the tutorial for that. I was curious is you have sprite cycling enabled or if there is a way that we could do that? *I see it as becoming important quickly as the sprites add up*

TolerantX

http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2455 asks about HandleUpdateObjects.asm and mentions lines which are different in the two player core. I was curious about how we would use the sprite cycling with the 2 player core... thank you sorry about the double post, I thought this part was needed for clarity.

dale_coop

Staff member
You right, TolerantX... I implemented a version where it check if the player is a player or the player weapon (checking object_type). So the player 1 or player 2 or their weapon will not disapear.
Take a look at the lines around 830th, in the HandleUpdateObject.asm, you will find something like:
Code:
UpdateDrawOrder:
	;JMP DoNormalDrawOrder	;; to use the normal draw order
	JMP DoFlickeringDrawOrder	;; to use the one giving priority to the player

I have two routines... the normal draw order (that comes with the basic core) and my modified for players and their weapons (I called it flickering).
As you can see, currently it will call my custom routines.
If you want to use the normal routines (that keep the original draw order), just uncomment the "JMP DoNormalDrawOrder" and comment out the "JMP DoFlickeringDrawOrder"

justadude

Hey dale!
The script is fantastic,but i'm having a smaller issues.
1)When i pick up the ammo and go fire at the enemy,it fires once then i have to wait 3 seconds before i can do it again.
2)I already did setup the lives,but then in two player mode if one player dies,then a another,the game doesn't reset ,the screen just stays there.

dale_coop

Staff member
1) really ? Which module re you using? Have you made modifications in the shooting script?
2) check your player death object, both action step 0 and 1 have to be set “restar game” for “end animation” and give an animation speed.
Cf the tutorial I posted yesterday...

LCM Games

You sir, are a genius! I really wanted to put the Vector Run series to rest, but a 2 player "Vector Race" game sounds like a good idea with your module!

justadude

dale_coop said:
1) really ? Which module re you using? Have you made modifications in the shooting script?

I'm using the two player simple platformer module. And no i didn't do any modifications in the shooting script.

dale_coop

Staff member
Maybe it’s your player action step 03 timer...? Because you can’t shoot if already shooting.
The script checks if the player is in action step 3... You could comment this lines in the shooting
Script if you don’t want/need that animation/state check.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep, you can... (I did for my game, you didn't play?)
The script is in System\HandleGameTimer.asm
I think you can follow the tutorial:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1982

wiggy

I came across this after compiling a single user test game just fine. Someone else earlier asked if you could add this safely, so I did.
But now after following the install tutorial I'm getting errors on "Export and Test asm" and my original single user game doesn't compile anymore (see attached error)... help :eek:

Attachments

• cmd_errors.PNG
    cmd_errors.PNG
    24.5 KB · Views: 9,594

dale_coop

Staff member
Sorry, but if you are a beginner (and by looking at the error I presume you are)... you will not be able to import a 2 players module in a existing project (that was not made for that module), sorry.
I suggest, you watch the tutorial... and follow for a 1 player (as the tutorial).

Then, if you want to test the 2 players modules... download, install, and use the demo project I linked in this topic.

wiggy

Thanks for responding. Yeah definitely a beginner...

So I had done the first set of NESMaker tutorials already, and had a single player project / game in NesMaker when I did this.
What wasn't obvious to me was that if I did this install, I needed to make sure no project was loaded.

Can I just uninstall this from this project, or is the project pretty much hosed and I need to start over?

dale_coop

Staff member
For your project, you can import the module that corresponds to it (if you followed the adventure tutorial, re-import the basic_adventure module... via the "project" menu "import a module").
And for the 2 players, just start a new project based on a 2 players module :p

wiggy

Whoohoo, it compiles and plays now... thanks!

I'm a little confused though, as I stated, I thought the modules were "added to NESMaker", not the current project. That was a little scary because I thought I broke NESMaker, lol.

So bare with me, and just to clarify when making a new project.
1.) Open NESMaker, import appropriate module (1 player adventure or 2 player single screen, etc).
2.) Add palettes, inputs, etc. etc..
3.) Save Project

But I'm wondering whats the best way to work on 2 different projects, lets say a "Scrolling Platform" project and a "Scrolling adventure" project"?
I'm assuming something like this:
1.) Open NESMaker, load project "myScrollingGame"
2.) Import appropriate module for this game type
3.) Update palettes, inputs, etc. etc...
4.) Save Project
5.) Close NESMaker
6.) Repeat step1 and load project "myPlatformGame"
7.) Repeat 2-4

Sorry for the detail just really need to understand how it works because I thought I broke it, lol

dale_coop

Staff member
The process is... you have NESmaker, and different modules.
1) You make a new project and (in the NEW project dialog) choose which module your project will be based on (basic scrolling platformer)...
2) Then you can make your graphics, palettes, ... monsters/objects/screens...
3) You stay with your module... you don't need to import another one (just if your an advance user and know what you are doing).

Same for a 2 players game, you can chose adventure or simple platformer 2 player game. When your project is started, don't import a new module... you will have some bad issues (mostly with your custom scripts and your input scripts)

If you want more infos... watch ALL the tutorial videos... and be curious, check the older ones on the youTube channel.

wiggy

Ahh, I got it now, so you load the module you want when you START building a project, not during, lol :D
Thanks for the explanation! And yup, definitely still going through the tutorials.

PewkoGames

Not sure if its been mentioned before, but is it possible to make a 2 player VS game? Where 2 players fight against each other? I got an idea for a game like that.

dale_coop

Staff member
PewkoGames said:
Not sure if its been mentioned before, but is it possible to make a 2 player VS game? Where 2 players fight against each other? I got an idea for a game like that.

Like this game? : http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2613

Top Bottom