MESEN color palette + settings to simulate CRT

misterjosel

I couldn't get MESEN to look like my CRT with its built-in color palettes, so I made my own custom color palette + NTSC filter settings to get something that looks really close to my CRT TV.

This is really helping me get a good idea of how different textures and color combinations will work on a CRT. If you see things flickering or looking bright or weird while using these settings, chances are you'll see the same on a CRT.

Zip file includes the .pal file, the filter settings, and a Photoshop version of the color palette.

download: View attachment MESEN CRT settings.zip

palette and filter settings are based on an original release NES connected via composite to a Toshiba CRT from early 2000s with default video settings.

MESEN filter settings:
MESEN video filter settings.PNG

Screenshots:

Contra (USA)_002.png
Contra was great for tuning the reds and browns, and for tweaking the filter to simulate how dithered or halftone patterns look on a CRT

Kirby's Adventure (USA) (Rev A)_000.png
I used Kirby's adventure to tune the pinks and purples. Also the brightest white is more like a light grey. The highlight that happens on the title letters between the black outline and color areas also happens on my CRT

Super Mario Bros. (World)_000.png
this screen is full of colors that were really hard to get just right. Mario's colors vibrate weirdly against that dark green mountain

Hope these help!

dale_coop

Staff member
Wow that looks fun!
Even if I love sharp clean pixels, I love try some weir filters on some of my fav games ;)

Top Bottom