Princess Ivayla

Gyromancy

For my first attempt at an NES game I'm trying to do something a little different. Far too many NES games used a princess as a kidnapped damsel in distress to motivate the hero. This time, the kidnapped princess gets to save her damn self.

Ivayla will be a puzzle platformer starring, well, Princess Ivayla. After being kidnapped, Ivayla breaks out of her chamber and makes her way through the castle to stop the currently unnamed death wizard who kidnapped her and escape.
Having no weapon or combat training, Ivayla can't attack head on and has to be careful in her escape, sneaking past enemies, using environmental hazards, or trapping her enemies to get by. My main gameplay inspiration is probably Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. I like the combination of planning out puzzles, stealth sections, and the occasional running for your life and hoping for the best.

So far I have mostly just made sprites for Ivayla. Any feedback would be appreciated.

received_4363224436034.gif

received_4363224676040.gif

received_4363224756042.png

received_4363225636064.gif

I also made the villain. He's a bit big so I think his body will be in the background layer and his hands will be sprites that float around Rayman style

received_4363226956097.png

I want to start working with NES Screen Tool to plan out backgrounds and layout. I've also dabbled with Famitracker but music has never been my strength so I may be needing help with that soon. Any NES music tips would be appreciated.

Attachments

• received_4363226956097.png
    received_4363226956097.png
    5 KB · Views: 2,987

dale_coop

Staff member
Beautiful princess! Great graphics, good idea.
I particularly like the pushing animation.
Can't wait to try a demo ;)

Mihoshi20

I like it, especially that back pushing animation. It's like super princess peach only with unique game-play and less crying. Can't wait to see it come to life or a few level mock-ups.

dale_coop

Staff member
Talking about « pushing »... did someone managed to implement that in NESMaker? (Object pushing scripts ?)

Top Bottom