MIDI Keyboards

The Lenny

I know that some of you use a MIDI Keyboard of some sort to put your music together. What kind of keyboard should I be looking for?

rimoJO

...a midi keyboard, maybe? If you mean for famitracker, i think it has midi support. you'll just need a good keyboard and a midi cable, i think.

shinmai

In Current Year, most musical keyboards hook up using USB. If you want a cheap option, don't need a ton of keys and don't care about aftertouch, pressure sensitivity, etc.the Akai Ipk25 and the Korg microKey are both very capable two-octave keyboards for around $50€. If you want something fancier, the sky's the limit all the way up to full 88 key boards with weighted keys that'll run you thousands.

WillElm

You might find that you don't like using a keyboard to arrange in famitracker. Most trackers for computer have a feature where your computer keyboard becomes a musical keyboard. I don't remember if Fami does, it's been years since I've used it. Anyway, with trackers, you're mostly just inputting notes into what is basically a spreadsheet, and almost 100% of the time, it is not done in real time. If you look at Famitracker and get intimidated, try to give it a chance. Watch tutorials and spend time with it. I'm only saying this because trackers are simply an amazing way to compose music.

rimoJO

basically you press "new instrument" then press the keys on your computer's keyboard then listen to your wonderful creation. that's pretty much it.

I had so much fun with famitracker that I bought a tiny m-audio usb keyboard to use with it, in hopes of getting some familiarity with an actual instrument. I can't say whether or not it was worth it because bashing on a computer keyboard works fine too.

Top Bottom