Porting game from 4.0.11 to 4.1.5 wuuaahh

Dirk

Hi!

I'm trying to port my non scrolling game started with 4.0.11 to a scrolling version in 4.1.5.
I'm hitting road blocks left and right. It starts with the way my character jumps. In the new version I can't even bring my character to jump the same way, same height and he also displays the walking animation when he should show a falling animation. Or the falling animation doesn't stop he slides around after landing instead of changing to the walking animation until I stop pressing a direction button.

How did you port your game to 4.1.5? Did you manage get around the obstacles and it runs at least as good as in the old version?

dale_coop

Staff member
Updating a project from 4.0 to 4.1 is nt easy.
Personnaly, I'd suggest to finished your game in the version you started with. And for your future projects, you can go with the newer version.

In the 4.1.x , the JUMP is now set with user constants (in Project Settings > User Constants): JUMP_SPEED_HI and JUMP_SPEED_LO.
(And also GRAVITY_HI and GRAVITY_LO). Modify the default values to be closer to your 4.0.x gameplay feeling.

For animations, some strange results... I know some of animations are forced in the ExtraControllReadCode script. If you search on the forum you might find some informations about that.

Dirk

Thank you! Do you know if I can transfer values from my old project to my new one and get the same result?

Thank you, I'll have a look at the ExtraControllReadCode script.

I'm not very far into my game. I mainly have my character with running, jumping, falling and hurt animations.

dale_coop

Staff member
For the jump... no, sorry I don't know, the values are not the same. So you will have to try yourself some values.

Dirk

Hi, I could somewhat recreate the speed, height and feel of my jumps.
I deleted my inputs and assigned the input scripts again. Now it looks nearly okay.
My problem is, that when my player jumps it changes from a jump to a falling animation, but when he reaches the ground he won't change his animation state to eg. walking to the right.
Does anyone know how I could change that?

dale_coop

Staff member
Don't know what could cause that...
Have you assigned the StartMoveLeft/Right? to the "HOLD" buttons?

Dirk

Yes I have.
I just saw that my idle animation doesn't animate. It just displays the first frame.
Do all my animations have to have the same number of frames?

dale_coop

Staff member
For that idle animation, modify the script assigned the the "Extra Controll Script" element in your "Project Settings > Script Settings"...
At the end of the script, you should see the line:
Code:
	ChangeObjectState #$00, #$04

Modify it like this:
Code:
	LDA temp
	BEQ skipMainGameExtraInputControl
	ChangeObjectState #$00, #$04

Your animation should work now correctly.

These issues are exactly the reason I kept using 4.0.11 for the competition, I would've had to redo every last bit of my custom code if I switched to 4.1.x. (Which I definitely didn't have time for)

Dirk

dale_coop said:
Your animation should work now correctly.

Great! Thank you, it works.
Now I also managed to get the falling animation to stop by set End Animation to Advance.

I still have a problem with my first animation though. My character does his idle animation, but after a time I want to change to another one.
I have Action Step 1 -> End Animation -> GoToLast, but it won't go to Action Step 7 and just repeat the idle animation.

dale_coop

Staff member
Because the extra controls script « forces » your player to go to action step 0, when he’s idle.

You could try comment out the changeObjectState we identified previously (the one at the end of the script)...
But not 100% sure of the result.

Bucket Mouse

Redherring32 said:
These issues are exactly the reason I kept using 4.0.11 for the competition, I would've had to redo every last bit of my custom code if I switched to 4.1.x. (Which I definitely didn't have time for)

Isn't 4.0.11 stuck with the default music, though? Or am I thinking of 4.0.6?

The long-overdue rerelease of Final Fantasy Adventure (part of Collection of Mana for Switch) makes me feel like digging out my parody game and finishing it, but two problems there:

1) It's on 4.0.6 which could potentially mean I can't add music
2) All other versions don't allow you to put the HUD at the bottom of the screen, which is crucial for the spoof

What would YOU do?

dale_coop

Staff member
You can add your own music in all versions of NESMaker.
The 4.0.6 (or even the 4.0.11) is a very good version. The only issue I see is that ladders are broken.

Dirk

I'm not sure how to do it but maybe I can add a timer to change to a different idle animation.
Or maybe I can set a custom flag after the end of the first idle animation and trigger the second animation if the trigger is active.

Top Bottom