My 1st Question -- best way to start a project?

Razzie.P

When starting a new project, is it best to choose a module (if an applicable one exists) and start from there, choose "base.mod" or "none?"

During the tutorials, Joe mentioned many times that they were "starting points" and often mentioned that they had lots of extra, unused scripts loaded. So, were they just to illustrate how things could stap together quick n easy? Or are they nice, convenient jumpstarts to actually creating a real, non-tutorial project?

For example, if I'm making a simple, single screen platformer similar to the tutorial project. Should I use that module, or should I choose "none" or "base" and build it from the ground up, ensuring that only the scripts are loaded that I plan to use, preserving space and memory? When compiling, I got the impression that all the extra, unneeded bloat could still bog the game down even if not used. That right, or did I misunderstand?

Thanks!

dale_coop

Staff member
For a beginner, I'd suggest to always use a module. Because a lot of scripts will be already set for that.
See that like pre-sets.

There is not a lot of differences between those modules... adventure there is no gravity and movements are in the 4 directions.
Platformer ones are only left right and use gravity.
The most differences are in the scripts used for the physics and collision detections.

So it's always better to choose one the module: Adventure, Maze, Shooter, SimplePlatformer or ScrollingPlatformer.
In any case it's just pre-set... you can still adjust, change properties, change some scripts, if you prefer using another scripts for some elements...
But at least, you started with a good base.

When you will have a lot of experience, you could choose "base" (means no particular scripts assigned) and make your own "salad" (mix scripts, add your own scripts).

Personally, I have some experience in NESmaker... but still, I always use pre-set modules.

Top Bottom