Having 2 issues - help appreciated

Razzie.P

I finished all the tutorials and am now playing around with tools to start piecing it all together, and I've found 2 strange issues that I can't seem to solve. I seem to remember the first issue happending during a tutorial, but couldn't find it, and I have no idea what's up with the second issue.

1st ) When using the "hide hud" option, why would the first screen (0,0) work find, but all other screens Change the color of the top of the screen, and ignore my tile placements? I'll post screenshots of 2 exact same rooms made from copy and paste where the issue occurs.

2nd) After music is loaded, how can you make a room play no song? When I select "stop music," there's an awful, random screeching sound that plays when the rooms are loaded. As with issue #1, the first room will work fine, but all other rooms sound like it's breaking.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Screen_001.jpg
Screen_002.jpg

dale_coop

Staff member
Hey Razzie.P

1/ For your first issue, hiding the HUD...
Have you set the sprite 0 (in HUD & boxes)? In all the BASIC modules of the 4.1.X you need to set the sprite 0, in order for your game screens to load correctly.

So I'd suggest you to test those settings (a 2 rows hud) :

2019-01-05-13-58-16.png

With your non-transparent color sprite (tile 127):

2019-01-05-13-58-57-NES-MAKER-4-1-0-Version-0x158-Mon-Jeu-Plateforme-MST.png

Then, you can, on all your screens, set the flag 'HIDE HUD". I think it should work better.
And about the HUD are color issue... just make sure to paint with the "R" key pressed on your HUD area (in your screen) -> to force the subpalette 4 for those tiles.

2/ About your music issue. Yep, as you found out... the "NO MUSIC" and "NO CHANGE" have issues, don't use them. My advice is always set a song... if you need no music, maybe you could make a silent song in famitracker.

Razzie.P

Thanks for the reply! No luck yet, though. Settings are as shown, and repainting with Sub 4 doesn't correct it. For some reason, it refuses to draw anything in the upper left corner of all screens (except the first)

dale_coop

Staff member
Make sure your tile 127 of your GameObjectTiles.bmp is set to a non transparent color (like on my screenshot).
You could try with the "Use sprite zero detection" unchecked (in HUD & boxes), it could be your issue.

Razzie.P

Yep, tile 127 is all good, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I did notice, thought, that it's only the Even number screens that have the issue. First creen is fine, 3 is fine, 5th is fine, etc. However, Unchecking "use sprite zero detection" corrected the issue, so it does seem to be tied to that. Thank you for that suggestion. So, knowing that, any ideas what I can do to correct the issue with that box checked, since (if I understood correctly) I'm supposed to have that checked for this module? I would like to be able to figure out what causes this and how to fix it, in case it comes up again.

I''ve also noticed another odd anomaly that seems to make no sense at all. On each screen after the first, the game seems to stop properly drawing 3 pixels on my player object. Pixels x 5, 6, and 7 (y = 0) on the first tile, to be exact. For some reason it replaces the 3rd color in my palette (0C) with the second color (21). I can copy and paste the 1st tile to another tile on the character sheet as and use that as a workaround, but still, I'd like to find out how to correct these issues during my learning phase if at all possible.

Screen_Issue.jpg

As always, any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

dale_coop

Staff member
For the Sprite Zero, you don't need it to be checked, if you don't want to use it... You need the sprite0 to be set (sprite used, sync, position different than 0,0), I think.
So you all good with that for your game, if set... and just unchecked (and hide_hud in your screens).

About the anomaly... I saw that too. Don't know why it is happening. It looks like it's happening as soon as a screen is triggered.

dale_coop

Staff member
Currenlty, for this particular game, how do you go from a screen to another one? just collecting all the item, and then victory animation and finally WARP to the next screen?
If you don't really need your screens to be triggered (suppose your player will not re-enter to a previous screen), you could try commenting out the "TriggerScreen" line in the collectable script. It might be the cause of this graphical glitch.

Razzie.P

Hmm, a couple more weird things started popping up with this "maze" module, that may be tied to the zero sprite issue that I had posted originally. Or maybe I'm overthinking it --

1) When warping from one screen to another, the game sometimes loads graphics between the load screen loads, making it look a bit choppy and unpolished. Sometimes, this seems to be loading the next screen graphics, but other times, it seems to be flashing back to the previous screen. For example, when completing Level 2, I'll see the vicotory animation, and the screen will flash, indicating a warp to screen 3. But for a brief moment during the flash, it's loading the upper right part of Screen 1.

2) Leaving Sprite Zero detection unchecked causes the hud to Not display at all in rooms with odd numbers of X (X=1, 3, 5, 7, etc) even though "HIDE HUD" isn't checked. I can copy and paste the rooms from known working rooms, but still has the issue.

3) Warping to some rooms with Sprite Zero Detection checked, but "hide Hud" checked as well causes my player to not show properly. Again, just in random (far as I can tell) rooms.

4) Finally, in some screens (again, seems random) my 100ths digit disappears from the score on the hud. Works fine in most screens, can't figure out why it's missing that digit in others.

Any idea what's going on?

Razzie.P

dale_coop said:
Currenlty, for this particular game, how do you go from a screen to another one? just collecting all the item, and then victory animation and finally WARP to the next screen?
If you don't really need your screens to be triggered (suppose your player will not re-enter to a previous screen), you could try commenting out the "TriggerScreen" line in the collectable script. It might be the cause of this graphical glitch.

Yep, moving like you said. Just using the "Maze" tutorial mostly. I commented out the "triggerscreen" bit, but nothing changed, that I can tell.

dale_coop

Staff member
Razzie.P said:
Hmm, a couple more weird things started popping up with this "maze" module, that may be tied to the zero sprite issue that I had posted originally. Or maybe I'm overthinking it --

1) When warping from one screen to another, the game sometimes loads graphics between the load screen loads, making it look a bit choppy and unpolished. Sometimes, this seems to be loading the next screen graphics, but other times, it seems to be flashing back to the previous screen. For example, when completing Level 2, I'll see the vicotory animation, and the screen will flash, indicating a warp to screen 3. But for a brief moment during the flash, it's loading the upper right part of Screen 1.

2) Leaving Sprite Zero detection unchecked causes the hud to Not display at all in rooms with odd numbers of X (X=1, 3, 5, 7, etc) even though "HIDE HUD" isn't checked. I can copy and paste the rooms from known working rooms, but still has the issue.

3) Warping to some rooms with Sprite Zero Detection checked, but "hide Hud" checked as well causes my player to not show properly. Again, just in random (far as I can tell) rooms.

4) Finally, in some screens (again, seems random) my 100ths digit disappears from the score on the hud. Works fine in most screens, can't figure out why it's missing that digit in others.

Any idea what's going on?

I will try to help you with some issues here:
1) you could try this fix: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2546&p=15891
2) with the 4.1.5, if you want a correct HUD, maybe you have no other choice to set the sprite zero. (correctly). Again there is a video on the official website, about that (explaining how it works and how to set it perfectly).
3) that is your sprite 0, the screen you are warped in maybe doesn't have a tile (non black) where your sprite zero can collide with.
4) Could you share a screenhosts of your hud (before disapearing and after)?

Also, if you need help to set your sprite zero, could you share a screenshot of your sprite zero settings?

Top Bottom