When the Clock Hands Stall - 3D Dungeon Crawler Demo

CutterCross

Now that the forums are back up and running, I can FINALLY show off my new demo!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebxvtZQp5sM

When the Clock Hands Stall is the first 3D dungeon crawler to be created with NESmaker. This is just a simple tech demo showing navigation of the 3D space and other features like a functional mini-map and compass. It's very short, but I think the results speak for themselves.

This was supposed to be my entry for the Byte-Off!'19 competition, but I couldn't get anything playable by the deadline.

View attachment WtCHS-Demo.zip

Last edited:

Raftronaut

This looks incredible :) and sounds fantastic =)

Your understanding and implementation of arpeggios in famitracker is nothing short of astounding to me.
The duty cycle switching in the pulse channels during the arps sound so effortless!

May I ask how many arpeggio instruments do you typically need to keep in your soundtrack? I would assume you'd need to assign one ARP instrument per duty cycle type correct?

I am excited to see where you take this project!

CutterCross

Raftronaut said:
This looks incredible :) and sounds fantastic =)

Your understanding and implementation of arpeggios in famitracker is nothing short of astounding to me.
The duty cycle switching in the pulse channels during the arps sound so effortless!

May I ask how many arpeggio instruments do you typically need to keep in your soundtrack? I would assume you'd need to assign one ARP instrument per duty cycle type correct?

I am excited to see where you take this project!

Thank you! :) I'm quite proud of this soundtrack!

For NESmaker soundtracks, the amount of arpeggio instruments I need sort of depends from project to project. I create them when I need them, sometimes I need more or less depending on the soundtrack. They're usually only made of a few different arpeggio envelopes, but I need to create lots of them for different combinations of volume envelope, arpeggio envelope, duty cycle envelope, etc. So I end up having a ton of arpeggio instruments, but I save ROM space by making them out of combinations of only a few envelope types.

For this demo's soundtrack, I have 27 instruments that have an arpeggio envelope assigned, but I only use 4 different arpeggio envelopes. I use 50 instruments total (32 in hexadecimal), so almost half of my instruments have arpeggio envelopes!

CutterCross

So... I may have just created the Point and Click module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckzl4HUyr30&feature=youtu.be

August Renders

Having this kind of game on the NES is an interesting idea, though I'd prefer that the map should rotate the same way the compass does when we turn.

Top Bottom