Doodle World (UPDATED)

DanielT1985

How did you fix the scrolling so it makes the character stay in the middle? I tried doing that for my game, but no luck.

Mugi

scrolling pad values are in user constants
SCROLL_LEFT_PAD
SCROLL_RIGHT_PAD

when adjusting these bear in mind that you have to have ATLEAST the width of your player object between the two margins and NEVER make them overlap, or bad things happen.

the values are pixel values from the left edge of the screen.

0 is left edge, 255 is right edge. 128 is middle.

for example, in my game, the character is 24 pixels wide, and my pad values are 96 and 132. that leaves 14 pixels more than the player's width so 7 pixels per side to move before scroll kicks in. (exact values are determined by the players hitbox, not the sprite so it's a bit off, but you'll get the idea.)

DanielT1985

Mugi said:
SCROLL_LEFT_PAD
SCROLL_RIGHT_PAD

when adjusting these bear in mind that you have to have ATLEAST the width of your player object between the two margins and NEVER make them overlap, or bad things happen.

for example, in my game, the character is 24 pixels wide, and my pad values are 96 and 132. that leaves 14 pixels more than the player's width so 7 pixels per side to move before scroll kicks in. (exact values are determined by the players hitbox, not the sprite so it's a bit off, but you'll get the idea.)

Oh man, 132 is so much better. Thank you so much for this.

unoscop

Feels great to play, super catchy music, and the level names are just great! Have to say, the scissors are adorable. :)

n8bit

DanielT1985 said:
Mugi said:
SCROLL_LEFT_PAD
SCROLL_RIGHT_PAD

Oh man, 132 is so much better. Thank you so much for this.

Yeah. I just played around with the numbers until it felt right.

Did the same with jump physics and gravity. Just lots of trial and error until the game felt good to control.

n8bit

n8bit said:
UPDATE!

Here is the latest Doodle Land demo!

Doodle Land demo 71619.zip

A few new features/fixes...

- You can now jump through platforms/ground (press down and A to jump down to platform below)
- New "1up notebooks"
- New "Super Crayons" that grant 10 seconds of invincibility
- 1up for every 100 crayons collected
- New bosses!
- Can no longer pause/move during world intros
- "Pause" now displayed on screen when game is paused

Enjoy!

I updated the first post with a new demo. Have fun!

TakuikaNinja

n8bit said:
Looking good so far! Can't wait for the full version!
I would recommend adjusting some enemy placements or implementing the sprite-cycling scripts since there's a few spots with noticeable slowdown, though.
(I've noticed you finally sorted out the title music. thx)

n8bit

TakuikaNinja said:
n8bit said:
Looking good so far! Can't wait for the full version!
I would recommend adjusting some enemy placements or implementing the sprite-cycling scripts since there's a few spots with noticeable slowdown, though.
(I've noticed you finally sorted out the title music. thx)

Adjusting enemy placements is still on my to do list...

FYI, I get a lot of compliments on the music. It turned out great! Thanks again!

CutterCross

Had the occasional instance of a collectible not actually collecting, tile glitch due to scrolling, and bouncing off an enemy into a higher screen, but overall very fun and playable :)

I think the bosses are a little too easy. Could benefit from longer invincibility periods so you don't just keep bouncing on him and killing him in 3 seconds. Also there are some instances where I feel monster blocks are missing where the should be, so enemy behavior can be a little unpredictable whether they're going to turn around or not.

But this is still one of my favorite NESmaker games I've played!

TurtleRescueNES

I'm supposed to be getting ready for work, but when I saw that this updated demo dropped, I stopped everything so that I could play it. Great work! I played it through to the end, and it was a great improvement. One observation I had, both this demo and your original would occasionally award 1 point instead of 100.

n8bit

jsherman said:
I'm supposed to be getting ready for work, but when I saw that this updated demo dropped, I stopped everything so that I could play it. Great work! I played it through to the end, and it was a great improvement. One observation I had, both this demo and your original would occasionally award 1 point instead of 100.

Hmmm... will have to hunt down the cause of that. Thanks!

TurtleRescueNES

n8bit said:
jsherman said:

Looks like the single point happens when Doodle is invincible.

n8bit

jsherman said:
n8bit said:
jsherman said:

Looks like the single point happens when Doodle is invincible.

Yup! I figured it out the other night and fixed it.

n8bit

CutterCross said:
Had the occasional instance of a collectible not actually collecting, tile glitch due to scrolling, and bouncing off an enemy into a higher screen, but overall very fun and playable :)

I think the bosses are a little too easy. Could benefit from longer invincibility periods so you don't just keep bouncing on him and killing him in 3 seconds. Also there are some instances where I feel monster blocks are missing where the should be, so enemy behavior can be a little unpredictable whether they're going to turn around or not.

But this is still one of my favorite NESmaker games I've played!

Yeah still trying to iron out the collectible issue. Thanks for the heads up on the the issues with the bouncing off enemies and into a higher screen on the 3rd level.

As far as bosses, I am still trying to come up with the best approach for them in terms of actions and cool down periods after hits.

The lack of monster blocks causing the enemies to be unpredictable is intentional :)

Thanks for all the feedback and I am glad you enjoyed the game!

Top Bottom