RPG module

stevenshepherd

I thought I would start a thread on what we might like to see in an RPG module, within the limits of the NES of course! I was going to leave this for now, but then seeing how soon the RPG module is expected to arrive, I thought I would start something.

Some ideas:

Controlling random encounters: presumably something like this is already in place (e.g., no battles in town) but it would be cool to assign certain tiles to random encounters vs not, or they can only happen when a certain sprite is active on the screen.

No random encounters: This might not be possible to implement as a point and click feature since what it could look like would differ from game to game, but perhaps some other way of triggering battles, like colliding with a certain enemy sprite on screen.

losing a battle doesn't mean death: maybe it just leads to branching paths in the game. If win then X, if lose then Y.

Any thoughts on what the battle screen would/could look like? All black background with an image of the enemy? popup window with enemy avatar and background image (like in Dragon Warrior 1)? Battle plays out on the actual screen that the player is on? Again, no idea what is possible here in terms of the point and click interface vs customization on our end.

As always when making suggestions, I recall where we were with this back when the kickstarter was launched, and at the time I was just happy to be able to make an action-adventure game! This project has come so far!

In my case, I would really like to know how the whole dialog system will be like. Will we be able to set variables? Like if you have this X object, this NPC says Y. Or if you finished dungeon X, this NPC says Y, etc.

I saw some rudimentary system in one of the early videos, but it only allows a change of dialog through the screen triggering system. Of course, everything is possible through code as well, so maybe a nice little coding tutorial is in order (in the future, yes, I know. Let's not get ahead of ourselves... :lol: ).

Mihoshi20

Really I'm expecting simple mechanics. NPC dialog, main/item/status menu. Save load menu and savepoints. Shop and inventory menu and system. The RPG module is going to be the most involved even for a rudimentary RPG. As for the battle system. Either a FF1, or Dragon Warrior/Mother1 style system would be fine, but I do want the option to either have it black or put in a backdrop that changes by area.

As for FF random encounter style or chrono trigger touch/caught trigger encounter style that doesn't matter as much to me. Either would be fine in my book. I'm not too picky given the NES' limitations. I'm more interested in making dungeon puzzles. Switches, levers, defeat triggers, changing tiles. That's more my focus.

stevenshepherd

yea the NPC dialog will be key. They've already illustrated how triggered screen affects dialog. I imagine that it wouldn't be hard to have something in place where dialog changes when you have vs. don't have an item (e.g., "go find this thing for me" *you find it and bring it back* "thanks here's 50 gold!")

For a battle screen, whatever it is, it would be nice to be able to animate things a bit. For example, different graphics and animations for different attacks and spells.

Of course, what would be nice and what is possible with the interface are two different things. I have faith in the team that whatever they come up with is the best possible solution :)

Top Bottom