Hello all!

matthew954

Hello all, just joined the forum from the NESMaker facebook group! Anxiously, but patiently waiting for the tool to be ready for the masses! I love collecting for the NES and the Atari. Though mostly at the moment I've been collecting mostly NES and Atari homebrew carts. I've already got my NES Classic setup for homebrews!

dale_coop

Staff member
Welcome Matthew
Glad to have you here :) love Atari and NES too (But I don’t collect, my wife would kill me)
Can’t wait to follow your projects

Mihoshi20

matthew954 said:
Hello all, just joined the forum from the NESMaker facebook group! Anxiously, but patiently waiting for the tool to be ready for the masses! I love collecting for the NES and the Atari. Though mostly at the moment I've been collecting mostly NES and Atari homebrew carts. I've already got my NES Classic setup for homebrews!

Welcome welcome~! Great to have you with us Matthew. Excited to see what you'll make. I used to collect for the Atari 2600 and have a closet full of carts, consoles, and accessories. My holy grail is still to get my hands on a Sunnyvale original heavy sixer but I have a vader, 4 switch woody and light sixer. I don't really collect for the NES as I only seekout the games that I enjoy playing for it.

matthew954

I'm pretty much the same. Too many games, not enough time and cash lol. Anymore I've been collecting a lot of the homebrew carts, the Atari homebrews especially are a lot better than most of the games Atari and Activision put out. Atari wise, I've got the 2600jr, a 2 port 5200 Super, and the 7800pro. I love both the 2600 and 7800. Though the 5200 is a tough machine to love with that awful controller lol. The holy grail for me is the illustrious Jaguar. I always wanted one as a kid.

Mihoshi20

matthew954 said:
I'm pretty much the same. Too many games, not enough time and cash lol. Anymore I've been collecting a lot of the homebrew carts, the Atari homebrews especially are a lot better than most of the games Atari and Activision put out. Atari wise, I've got the 2600jr, a 2 port 5200 Super, and the 7800pro. I love both the 2600 and 7800. Though the 5200 is a tough machine to love with that awful controller lol. The holy grail for me is the illustrious Jaguar. I always wanted one as a kid.

I rather miss my 4 port 5200 I only have a 2 port one now. Always liked the design of the 7800 but never picked one up. I do have a Coleco Gemini though.

matthew954

Coleco Gemini nice! I've only seen pictures of those. The 7800 is such an under appreciated machine. Its got some solid games, and even several of the AtariAge homebrews are fantastic. Space Duel is probably the best atleast visually speaking of course. I''d love my 5200 more if I could get an adapter to use just about ANY controller than the stock controller, and a composite upgrade to use on my HDTV. Both my 2600jr and 7800Pro have the upgrades and are so much better than RF.

Mihoshi20

matthew954 said:
Coleco Gemini nice! I've only seen pictures of those. The 7800 is such an under appreciated machine. Its got some solid games, and even several of the AtariAge homebrews are fantastic. Space Duel is probably the best atleast visually speaking of course. I''d love my 5200 more if I could get an adapter to use just about ANY controller than the stock controller, and a composite upgrade to use on my HDTV. Both my 2600jr and 7800Pro have the upgrades and are so much better than RF.

I'm thinking about doing a composit mod mod to one of my 2600's. Also thought about doing an adapter for the 5200 so standard 2600 or sega genesis controllers could work on it but really didn't want to do the analog to digital conversions.

matthew954

From research I've done, the analog to digital conversion isn't at all easy. One guy at AtariAge managed to build a one off adapter for a Jaguar controller. The guys there have been begging (myself included) for the guy to sell them. I'm trying to be patient hoping someone builds either an upgraded controller, or a converter to use a different controller.

Well, with luck your 2600s are all either the Vaders, or 4 switch versions. My 2600jr was about half a pain to route the wires under the RF shield. The 7800 was a lot easier with more space inside. The composite upgrade makes a huge difference in the video quality. Plus being able to connect my 2600jr alongside my NES is sweet.

Mihoshi20

matthew954 said:
From research I've done, the analog to digital conversion isn't at all easy. One guy at AtariAge managed to build a one off adapter for a Jaguar controller. The guys there have been begging (myself included) for the guy to sell them. I'm trying to be patient hoping someone builds either an upgraded controller, or a converter to use a different controller.

Well, with luck your 2600s are all either the Vaders, or 4 switch versions. My 2600jr was about half a pain to route the wires under the RF shield. The 7800 was a lot easier with more space inside. The composite upgrade makes a huge difference in the video quality. Plus being able to connect my 2600jr alongside my NES is sweet.

Yeah, I have one vader, and about like 4 or 5 woody 4 switches and one 4 switch sears telegames video arcades. I had a chance to get a 2600jr when I got my 4 port 5200 from a fleamarket but already had my vader and a 4 switch woody already so I didn't see the need. This is when I had a small game room setup and was playing them before my 5200 joystick broke. Now a days if I want to play 2600 I just use my retropi and call it good but I do miss flicking those switches. Lately though a local retro arcade opened up and they setup a 2600 on a console TV and when I go there I play it.

matthew954

The Sears systems are the only ones I don't have. I've been wanting a Telegames 2 system. An Atari 2600 in a 7800 shell. Just an awesome looking design for a console.

Mihoshi20

matthew954 said:
The Sears systems are the only ones I don't have. I've been wanting a Telegames 2 system. An Atari 2600 in a 7800 shell. Just an awesome looking design for a console.

I really like the look of the Telegames 1 with that marble counter top from and that silver switch panel but the Telegames 2 looks very sharp also like an 80's game console.

matthew954

Lol, nothing screams 80s as much as an Atari or Telegames console lol. I've always wondered (assuming the partnership went through) what the Atari branded NES would've looked like. Would it have looked like the 7800? Or the awesome little box we've come to know and love. Atari Entertainment System has an interesting ring to it lol.

Mihoshi20

matthew954 said:
Lol, nothing screams 80s as much as an Atari or Telegames console lol. I've always wondered (assuming the partnership went through) what the Atari branded NES would've looked like. Would it have looked like the 7800? Or the awesome little box we've come to know and love. Atari Entertainment System has an interesting ring to it lol.

Really, it probably actually would have ended up looking a lot like the Nintendo Advanced Video System or some minor variation of. Which I really wouldn't have mined as it was a sharp looking little unit. Atari at the time liked their console looking very sleek and futuristic so it would have been right up their alley.

nes-avs-brochure3-1985-1024x777.png

Top Bottom