Got these errors.. dont have a clue.

axbakk

Was playing around in nesmaker with an monster death animation and were trying to get a level clear object (Using scrolling platformer mod) and when i was testing the game i got these two errors.
I do not know why..
Any tips..

Attachments

• 7214FDFE-3550-4B66-A3D1-97B97D4834BF.jpeg
    7214FDFE-3550-4B66-A3D1-97B97D4834BF.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 984
  • 6A25C7AC-FE97-4F34-AFDA-E3E63B899A16.jpeg
    6A25C7AC-FE97-4F34-AFDA-E3E63B899A16.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 984
  • 86E14C95-A511-4F52-AD16-C4966C757CF9.jpeg
    86E14C95-A511-4F52-AD16-C4966C757CF9.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 984
  • BBD3A793-65FC-4E36-82F3-65A0154E3A99.jpeg
    BBD3A793-65FC-4E36-82F3-65A0154E3A99.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 984
  • 654E01A9-6CC5-4C35-B47D-BD3A178A4AB8.jpeg
    654E01A9-6CC5-4C35-B47D-BD3A178A4AB8.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 984

dale_coop

Staff member
Seeing those screenshots... you "disabled" the OBJ_MONSTER_DEATH user constant. I think it's your issue here.
Open the "Project Settings > User Constant", select that constant and click on the "Enable" button.

axbakk

Maybe.. it was late. 😂 i Will try that dale. Thanks..

Yeah i could go to the problem of i knew were to start. Now i know how to read the errors.. Thanks mugi.

Let you know the progress. 👍🏻

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah...
About the interpretation of the error:
The command line 1st error says "HandleObjectCollisions.asm(202): CreateObject(26): Unknown label"

It means that the error i in the "HandleObjectCollisions.asm" script (in the "Routines\Basic\ModuleScripts\MainScripts\ScrollingPlatformer" folder), at line 202, starting from the 26th character of that line (ignore the first space characters of a line). The compilator says "Unknown label", he doesn't recognise this label/name/variable/constant/...

So, if you if you edit (open) that script and you go at line 202, you will find the :
Code:
	CreateObject temp, temp1, #OBJ_MONSTER_DEATH, #$00, currentNametable ;; create "splat"
At the 26th caracter of that line is "#OBJ_MONSTER_DEATH".

On one of the screenshot, we can see that your "OBJ_MONSTER_DEATH has ";;;" in front of it. It means you might have click (accidentally?) on the button that disable/enable a constant.

The 2nd error is exactly the same problem (for the same constant).

axbakk

Nice. Gr8 explained. Now i know how to read the errors. 👌🏻
Yeah i saw that too the small ;;; before the obj_monster_death and thought it had something to do about it. Yeah i might have been there and clicked When the animation dident start in game When the enemy were killed.
Got to check that out..

axbakk

it helped to press the button again. The game works.
But wonder why the enemy_death animation wont play. Player death animation worked by itself when i made one att action 8. but not the enemy death animation on action9..
where should i look.. the constant is set to 9

dale_coop

Staff member
For the monster animations... by default, the code is missing in some scripts....
Check those posts:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2532
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1740 (in this one, by fixing the monster drops, I re-introduce the monster death animations)

axbakk

ok thanks. will check them out tomorrow.
got som more issues to struggle.. but will look into some tutorials before asking for help.

But now its time for bed. :)

axbakk

Thanks dale. It helped get my animations going..
now im just going to figure out how to make my level clear flag to work, get my collect score background (like the carrot in tutorial) change to the right background when collected, how to ad score to the same and to the enemy death and make some of my monsters to shoot at me. :)

Mugi

dale_coop said:
The command line 1st error says "HandleObjectCollisions.asm(202): CreateObject(26): Unknown label"

It means that the error i in the "HandleObjectCollisions.asm" script (in the "Routines\Basic\ModuleScripts\MainScripts\ScrollingPlatformer" folder), at line 202, starting from the 26th character of that line (ignore the first space characters of a line). The compilator says "Unknown label", he doesn't recognise this label/name/variable/constant/...

I was always under the impression that the errors like these actually points to line numbers instead of characters,
as such as in this example, handleobjectcollisions.asm line 202 is macro createobject, and the error happens when processing line 26 of the createobject macro.

if you look at gameenginedata/basic/system/macros/createobject.asm
line 26 (27 in notepad because first line is 1 and not 0) is LDA arg2 which attempts to load the constant #OBJ_MONSTER_DEATH which doesnt exist so it errors out saying unknown label.
interestingly enough, the character count also matches (it is the 26th character)

axbakk

Got the warp to funktion. :)
Got right background after collected the "carrot"
Got score to funktion, but it does not update the HUD score until i die.. then i see my score??
And if someone would like to tell me how to make an monster move up/down and shoot at player it would be awsome. :) Dale??! :D

axbakk

Mugi said:
dale_coop said:

I was always under the impression that the errors like these actually points to line numbers instead of characters,
as such as in this example, handleobjectcollisions.asm line 202 is macro createobject, and the error happens when processing line 26 of the createobject macro.

line 26 (27 in notepad because first line is 1 and not 0) is LDA arg2 which attempts to load the constant #OBJ_MONSTER_DEATH which doesnt exist so it errors out saying unknown label.
interestingly enough, the character count also matches (it is the 26th character)

Cool that you could look at two different ways of the same problem and the number (26) is pointing att the same problem in both cases. :D

Mugi

well, now that dale mentioned the character count im not even sure if the way i look at those is correct or not.
generally when i have an unknown label error i dont have to dig that far out since most of the time they're simple typos in the macro arguments, but i looked at those in few occasions
and so far it's always been accurate, so i really dunno :p

axbakk

axbakk said:
Got score to funktion, but it does not update the HUD score until i die.. then i see my score??
And if someone would like to tell me how to make an monster move up/down and shoot at player it would be awsome. :) Dale??! :D

Got my monster to shoot.. but someone need to help me optimize him.
shoots randomly and when i fire back and its a lot of projectiles i got slowdowns.. so i need somone who can help me with all the settings regarding monster animation/fire/action-steps etc.

And i have not solved my hud/score problem..

But now.. bedtime. :D

axbakk

Mugi said:
well, now that dale mentioned the character count im not even sure if the way i look at those is correct or not.
generally when i have an unknown label error i dont have to dig that far out since most of the time they're simple typos in the macro arguments, but i looked at those in few occasions
and so far it's always been accurate, so i really dunno :p

:cool:

dale_coop

Staff member
Mugi said:

Interesting, maybe you right... never thought about that. Because usually I just check the line... and quickly see my mistake :p
It would make sens that it would be the line number in the Macro itself (the way it's written in the error message). ;)
I'll do some tests tomorrow...
Thanks Mugi, for this enlightenment!

dale_coop

Staff member
axbakk said:

For the HUD score... how is your score element (in the hud)? An 8 digit number? (the scripts are meant to work with a 8 number digits score HUD). It could be your error. Else, could you share the script you are using?

About your monsters moving up/down, in the platformer module, you'll have to "fix" the ignore gravity flag: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1939

axbakk

dale_coop said:
axbakk said:

For the HUD score... how is your score element (in the hud)? An 8 digit number? (the scripts are meant to work with a 8 number digits score HUD). It could be your error. Else, could you share the script you are using?

About your monsters moving up/down, in the platformer module, you'll have to "fix" the ignore gravity flag: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1939

Yeah its the same problem with 8 digit and When i tested with 5 digit. What script should i look for?

I have fixed the ignore gravity erlier so i got the monster to move up down with the ”random up down” action at action step 0 then i made monster shot at action step 1 and then go back to step 0 but i need help understanding what i am doing and to optimize my monster because now it shoots randomly and to much with the result that i got many objects on screen and slowdowns. 😊

I want the monster to move up until it hits a solid then go down to Until it hits solid then fire at player an given time. Not randomly.

Top Bottom