Help remaking 20x20 sprite to 16x16 with just 3 colors

Alurith

I have this old sprite i made in 20x20 for another program, a few years ago. Im trying really hard to convert the character down to a 16x16, but only being able to use the 3 colors that will display. I was figuring i could post it up, and see if anyone had any suggestions.

Also, can the top 8x16 pixles use a different pallet?

20180809_203641.jpg

IMG_20180515_192149.jpg

Figuring out which is which shouldn't be a challenge.

It is supposed to be a male, with medium-long length hair, and a purple cape, draped over his arms.

dale_coop

Staff member
Cute character... I think you can made in it NESMaker, check in the tutorial videos on youtube, particularly :
https://youtu.be/tV9TF9T7Avk?t=15m58s

And for colors, you have 2 palettes (of 3+1common colors) that you can use for 8x8 of your character/player/monster. Then the number of colors for your the cloths of your player will certainly need to be reduced.

MistSonata

Here's my interpretation:

OF5GHXd.gif

I'll include a .rar file with the image inside.

Attachments

• GameObjectTiles.rar
    285 bytes · Views: 111

Alurith

Mist, that isn’t bad at all, really good, in fact. Sadly, it’s not quite what i’m Trying for.

I’m trying for a more cartoony look, while yours is more, Dragon Warrior like. If that makes sense.

I’m quite enjoying working with these harsh limitations of the NES, though.

Shodanbot

I'm not sure if NESmaker allows it, but you could do what Capcom did with their Mega Man sprite and cheat using an overlay. You'd still need to be conservative with it though and avoid more than 8 sprites per horizontal line. Indivisible, by Kasumi makes use of this trick too.

Orgia Mode

Shodanbot said:
I'm not sure if NESmaker allows it, but you could do what Capcom did with their Mega Man sprite and cheat using an overlay. You'd still need to be conservative with it though and avoid more than 8 sprites per horizontal line. Indivisible, by Kasumi makes use of this trick too.

I was trying to think of how that could be done too...

Top Bottom