Warp tiles killing player sometimes?

wallmasterr

Iv had this bug for a while now but it keeps poping up. At first i thought it was because i had loads of levels and it was somehow getting confused but not sure about that now.
Some of my previously working levels have somehow became broken whith this.
The warp tile at the end of the level acts like a kill player tile, reseting back to last checkpoint and subtracting a life.
In the past iv copied that screen to a new place then passed it back in place and that sometimes fixes it but some screens are really stubborn.

Anyone else got this or know how to fix it?

Iv noticed some other weird behaviour like this too, like random jump tiles appearing where there are none, but only when playing the game. the editor shows the way id like it to work.

Im running 4.1.5 version 0x159

dale_coop

Staff member
Glitch tiles appearing on the scrolling screens (right/left scrolling), it's a known issue. Not sure it it has really been fixed, sorry. but it should not cause any collision data glitch.

About the warp death issue, could ba a lot of thing... a custom script you made, screen design issue? Could you share a screenshot of your screen?

wallmasterr

heres a screen shot of the collisions of a screen this screen is particularly stubborn. Iv tried removing all the pikes around the area and still dies. sometimes dies once but then the next time it warps correctly.

worp%20death.PNG

Heres the warp code
Code:
;test savescore
LDA myScore		;; to read/load the value corresponding to the units
LDA myScore+1		;; to read/load the value corresponding to the tenths
LDA myScore+2		;; to read/load the value corresponding to the hundreds
LDA myScore+3		;; to read/load the value corresponding to the thousands

LDA myScore
	STA myScoreSave
	LDA myScore+1
	STA myScoreSave+1
	LDA myScore+2
	STA myScoreSave+2
	LDA myScore+3
	STA myScoreSave+3

PlaySound #SND_PIPE
; GoToScreen warpToScreen, temp

; dontDoWarp_tile

LDA #$00
STA newGameState

LDA warpMap
 sta currentMap
 clc
 ADC #$01
 STA temp
 GoToScreen warpToScreen, temp, #$02
 LDA #$00
 STA playerToSpawn
 LDX player1_object
 DeactivateCurrentObject
 LDA #$01
 STA loadObjectFlag

LDA mapPosX
STA newX
LDA mapPosY
STA newY

dale_coop

Staff member
I think the collision detection for the "0A" just before the warp tile might be the reason?
worp-death.png

You could try removing them, or try placing your warp tile upper, ...

wallmasterr

Thanks Dale
I checked them and they were fine
I did some work on some other levels came back, changed nothing and now it works. It sometimes just seems random but it keeps happening. its gonna make QA really difficult, coz it just affects random levels. I fixed another instance of this be basically recreating the level and pasting it back where the level was.
New version of nesmaker is coming soon ye? mabie itl be fixed in there, iv also just been testing in built-in emulator, could that effect it?

dale_coop

Staff member
It can happen in some scrolling screens... depends of where is placed your warp tiles (avoid pacing them on screen edges). Also, make sure to set the warp out x,y... sometimes you ALSO need to set it to the previous screen and the next screen (because the scrolling loads 2 screens at the same time).

The new version 4.5 will be out very soon... BUT, the version will not be really compatible with older projects, as explained Joe. Porting a old project to the new version will be difficult. And the new version will be a beta.
Joe advices to finish the projects on the current version and use the new version for new projects.

Dirk

wallmasterr said:
iv also just been testing in built-in emulator, could that effect it?

Did you try other emulators in the meantime. Wouldn't be too bad as everybody who'll play your game ROM will use something like Mesen or FCEUX. I would also trust those emulators more than the build-in one.

wallmasterr

dale_coop said:
It can happen in some scrolling screens... depends of where is placed your warp tiles (avoid pacing them on screen edges). Also, make sure to set the warp out x,y... sometimes you ALSO need to set it to the previous screen and the next screen (because the scrolling loads 2 screens at the same time).

The new version 4.5 will be out very soon... BUT, the version will not be really compatible with older projects, as explained Joe. Porting a old project to the new version will be difficult. And the new version will be a beta.
Joe advices to finish the projects on the current version and use the new version for new projects.

Ah I wonderd that to, so made all the wap screens in a scrolling section point to the same place already. And in some cases added an extra empty level at the end whitch also warped to same place.

Shame the new version wont work. was liking the look of a lot of new features, even from old updated videos where u caould preview the screen info form the map view would have been nice.

I hope the new one has proper instancing or objects ie, you change the attributes in the spike in your graphic bank and it populates to everywhere uv already placed. Dose it do that already or am I missing something?
In the mean time , compleatly recreating the screen on a blank map screen and then pasting it in place seems to fix it for anyone else banging their heads of it, just dono what actualy causes it. its happens on scrolling and nonscrolling screens.

wallmasterr

Dirk said:
wallmasterr said:
iv also just been testing in built-in emulator, could that effect it?

Did you try other emulators in the meantime. Wouldn't be too bad as everybody who'll play your game ROM will use something like Mesen or FCEUX. I would also trust those emulators more than the build-in one.

I didint try it in emulatros when it was broken, im gona point my editor to mesen and see if i still get the problem randomly in future.

wallmasterr

Still happening
Its getting worse i think , some tiles are getting cursed
death%20tiles.PNG

The warp tiles was killing the player on the tile on the right, i copied it to the one on the left and it works... no idea.

dale_coop

Staff member
It's really difficult to find a workaround, easily... you will have to guess, try and retry
But something I know is, because the engine loads 2 screens at the same time... it is possible that sometimes your collisions are not correct (usually during screen transitions / warp oo?). Also the edges (first/last col/row) is usually causing issue.
And, the code engine is not the same for odd and even screens.
The 4.1.5 has its specifies and a bunch of bugs/issues.

With all those parameters, you need to try to find workaround for your screen. (moving the warp tile far from the edge on that screen... check how is the next/previous screen collision wise, ... or just place the screen at another place, if it works there, ....)

wallmasterr

I was hoping that that wasn't gonna be your answer, sounds very hard to test. Its gonna mess with my nice level layout :( . Am I just experiencing this more because iv got loads of levels?

dale_coop

Staff member
Can you share your project with me, I will check and see if I can find where is exactly the cause of the issue...? (via email)

wallmasterr

Will do , my work around for the messy layout right now is to duplicate it to the underworld tile in the same place and link to it.

Top Bottom