PressStart Game

dale_coop

Staff member
I updated my "game", I coded the 8 way direction, slowed down the player and reduced the recoil when hurt.
I would be happy to have your feedback on that.

I changed the Win screen (I am not really good at graphics, so it's quite... simplistic)

I have almost finished the last (3rd) level. I think the final version will be release for this weekend or next week.
Still no music nor sounds... because I am very bad with famitracker :°(

Mihoshi20

dale_coop said:
I updated my "game", I coded the 8 way direction, slowed down the player and reduced the recoil when hurt.
I would be happy to have your feedback on that.

I changed the Win screen (I am not really good at graphics, so it's quite... simplistic)

I have almost finished the last (3rd) level. I think the final version will be release for this weekend or next week.
Still no music nor sounds... because I am very bad with famitracker :°(

Very very cool. It's always great when a project comes together.

darkhog

Looking forward to playing it! I wish you a great success with your game. As for music/sounds you can always ask around, maybe someone can give you a track or two.

dale_coop

Staff member
Thank you darkhog.
For the music, I will wait the game goes somewhere ;) For now it's just s prototype. Need to make a break (it took me a lot of nights... and lunch-time at job :p)

I will update my first post to the current (final) rom

TurtleRescueNES

This is such a great example of a game that could have been out for the NES in the 80s. Great work, and glad to see it was one of the examples Joe used for the launch! :)

dale_coop

Staff member
Thanks jsherman. It was a great bunch of games that Joe showed. Can’t wait to play all those on my NES.

red moon

Wow, this is incredible...I love the clean aesthetic. Its very easy to understand pleasing to look at. Well done, I cant wait to play the ROM once I am home.

dale_coop

Staff member
Thanks you, red moon, for the kind word. Don't expect too much ;) Made this while learning NESmaker... and with an older version (more limited).
But, tell me what do you think. Have fun!

red moon

I really enjoyed it, and played it many time overs. The overall feel is great, and has elements of atari adventure exploratory that is combined with a modern aesthetic. The color palette and shape language is great and feels reminiscent of metroid at times with the soft tones going in the background. Well done!

I played the version that shot in varying directions and that seemed difficult to control unless I was moving fast. I think without an element to determine player facing its plan and execute. A single missing or additional pixel in the player block would help with orientation. You could also use a band of color but I like the fewer color palette shown here.

I also wanted more of the music and sound you had going on, I thought it was really atmospheric. Overall, player speed and difficultly felt good! I am going to check out the underground adventure games now, I played all the byte off games and remember enjoying the one you submitted then, it was really very executed. A very clean and easy to understand player experience!

red moon

Looking forward to seeing any new changes as you go forward, in the meantime I will play through the newest dungeon explorer!

dale_coop

Staff member
Thank you red moon for your feedback.
Yeah you right, if (when) I go back to PressStartGame, the things you said will be on changed.
You right, we don’t see the direction of the player, it makes the game too difficult.
Also, I wanted to add music... something atmospheric... sometimes kinda industrial... alien-ish... but very subtil. A mix between Alien, Metroid and the sanctuaries in Zelda Botw.

And of course a longer adventure...

Atari games was the first games I played and will be always in my heart. A part of my inspirations. As games like Another World (out of this world).

Yeah... a lot of things I would like for that game.

red moon

Of course Dale, I know that many demos are tests and not meant to be taken to finality in all cases, but sometimes there to simply exercise a creative idea!

I have many game designs on paper now and unsure of what to do next. Focus on short demos or a longer gaming experience? And by longer, I meant an hour or 2 tops...quite small by today's standards!

I am excited for new updates either way!

dale_coop

Staff member
Exactly... I like making small demos, trying different ideas, until I find something I want to develop, go further.
Agreed! For me a NES game could be 45min-1hour, if action/platformer game and maybe 2-3 hours if an adventure, story based game...
I don't have time to play long sessions (family, work, ...). I prefer having a great experience, or a fun moment.

My son asked me too, last night, why I haven't continue that game... and when I will continue... So it might be a sign. I always follow my son's ideas.
When the 5.0 will be out, I will upgrade my project and try to continue the adventure :)

Mugi

indeed.
press start game is really fun and one of my favourite nesmaker games in terms of aesthetics. the game looks just beautifull.

Razzie.P

dale_coop said:
For me a NES game could be 45min-1hour, if action/platformer game and maybe 2-3 hours if an adventure, story based game...
I don't have time to play long sessions (family, work, ...). I prefer having a great experience, or a fun moment.

When I started scratching out the design for my game, I made notes of how long my kids (and their friends) played the modern games they like on Roblox to get an idea of how long I wanted the game to be. I settled on a playthough time of 20 - 35 mins with (hopefully) replay value in the way of score challenge, and realized that closely mimics some of my favorites from childhood, like Pitfall and Private Eye in a way. Going back to the Atari 2600 days, there. I'm old. :D

erockbrox

Man I loved this game. I thought your 8 way directional code was amazing!

There could be some polish added, but overall a solid fun game.

Top Bottom