(4.5) Interesting Sound Export from Famitracker

voltopt

I wanted to test songmaking (I'm very new at this) and created a Famitracker file. I followed the tutorial, but I didn't realize best practice was to create one famitracker file with multiple songs, and to export them all together. Long story short, I initially created two separate files, exported them separately, and then combined them in notepad++ manually. I imported this into NESmaker, and then tested the game. The main song sounded different, but different in a way I really liked. It was less tinny, and more mysterious. Later I realized that you should use on famitracker file with multiple songs; I tested this with my test game and now the main song sounds exactly like Famitracker; except I want it to sound like the weird incorrect version I accidentally created.

The question (if it's even a question) - why did it sound different when I manually compiled? Is there a way to recreate this in Famitracker so I can make a single file with multiple songs that sounds like my export song? I can post examples, probably, but just curious about any discussion on this.

Also, and I'm sure this will be covered in a future tutorial, but how do I assign sfx files in NESmaker? I couldn't find anything on the boards. I made a test player death sound just to see how it works. The way I learn, I follow tutorials but I also just do stuff LOL.

voltopt

Add added a playsound line to an iterated hurtwithlives script. Now I'm trying to add an animation to give myself a second for the sfx to play.

CutterCross

Without seeing how you manually combined your FT txt files I can only assume the difference is just due to different instrument indexing. Some notes are using different instruments than intended, etc. Can't say for sure since I don't know exactly how you combined the txt files.

For SFX you just need to add the "sfx_" prefix to your FamiTracker track using Module Properties. Then after you import your file into NESmaker you expand the Sound tab and click on SFX. (Don't expand the SFX tab, just left-click on the word.) Here you can assign your SFX to different constants and use them with PlaySound macros in your scripts.

voltopt

Excellent, I've been messing around with effects, just to see what I can do. It's all iterated so it shouldn't affect the base system routines for the tutorial.

The sound file I accidentally created, I exported each song individually (from separate Famitracker files) and combined them by copy pasting each track into one .txt file, which NESmaker recognizes and works. It's certainly not the correct way. I'll look back and compare the track code to see the difference. I'd like to recreate the tone in Famitracker if possible.

CutterCross

voltopt said:
Excellent, I've been messing around with effects, just to see what I can do. It's all iterated so it shouldn't affect the base system routines for the tutorial.

The sound file I accidentally created, I exported each song individually (from separate Famitracker files) and combined them by copy pasting each track into one .txt file, which NESmaker recognizes and works. It's certainly not the correct way. I'll look back and compare the track code to see the difference. I'd like to recreate the tone in Famitracker if possible.

You should be able to just import your combined txt file back into FamiTracker if you were able to import it into NESmaker. It would make examining it a lot easier imo. Just go to [File -> Import text] in FamiTracker.

voltopt

That's what is strange, importing back to Famitracker with the combined file does not reproduce the alternate sounds as it does in Mesen by way of NESmaker.

voltopt

I have a .wav file I made by combining the output from Mesen and Fami into one file. I'd share it, but I'm not sure how (soundcloud?)

Top Bottom