Beat Em Up

mrveganhimself

Has anyone made any beat em up games? I want to start one and was just curious on any suggestions about to to make it work. I think the only thing I am really worried about is if there would be enough memory to store up to 4 players stats. I feel like if I stuck to 3 or 4 stats I would be good. Any ideas?

mouse spirit

My idea would be to use the adventure module for all way walking.Dont worry about stats,well i mean you can just tell the player the stats,you dont have to keep track unless they are going to change.Alot of things can be illusions or allusions.I have not made a beat em up, but i have played several.Strength and speed are usually the most impotant
stats, and health:). So 3 sounds good yeah.
Maybe for combos use , try to make it by enemy states. Like the enemy enters a certain"beat up" state, thats when i can now grab them or do a super kick. Or same with the player,kick one puts you to a certain state,now kick 2 is available to use
Or possibly variables with timers,that would be best. I kick once,for the next second or 2, i can do kick 2.I have no knowledge about timers, these are just some ideas.

dale_coop

Staff member
My advice, follow the tutorials, learn how to use NESmaker, the limitations, .... then, when you know it well and done your first demos...
Create simple projects and expand their functionalities (stp after step)... to match to your ideas.

mrveganhimself

mouse spirit said:
My idea would be to use the adventure module for all way walking.Dont worry about stats,well i mean you can just tell the player the stats,you dont have to keep track unless they are going to change.Alot of things can be illusions or allusions.I have not made a beat em up, but i have played several.Strength and speed are usually the most impotant
stats, and health:). So 3 sounds good yeah.
Maybe for combos use , try to make it by enemy states. Like the enemy enters a certain"beat up" state, thats when i can now grab them or do a super kick. Or same with the player,kick one puts you to a certain state,now kick 2 is available to use
Or possibly variables with timers,that would be best. I kick once,for the next second or 2, i can do kick 2.I have no knowledge about timers, these are just some ideas.

The timer thing is an awesome idea for combos. I can go for the old 1 2 3 hit combo with a timer set for the combo also allowing for bigger combos than 3 if you reach another enemy in time. And I 100% agree on 3 stats being Strength, Speed, and Health. That's was kind of what I had in mind with MAYBE "Magic", but that depends on what theme I decide to go with. I will try the adventure module and see where to go from there.

mrveganhimself

dale_coop said:
My advice, follow the tutorials, learn how to use NESmaker, the limitations, .... then, when you know it well and done your first demos...
Create simple projects and expand their functionalities (stp after step)... to match to your ideas.

Yeah, that sounds like the best practice for mastering the mechanics of any game I make using NES Maker.

PasseGaming

There is a fantastic tutorial for a beat'em up game now. I'm sure you've already seen it, but just in case check out the updated learn page.

Top Bottom