How to Flash your Game when "Make Cart" Doesn't Work [4.5.6]

crazygrouptrio

I've had to help a few others who have encountered this same problem I have, so maybe this will help someone here. So if your problem is Make Cart isn't working, this will get you flashing your game on a cartridge in no time!
rNW9oCu.gif

When you're ready to flash your game, (and assuming you have properly installed your drivers and your flasher is ready to go as well) just hit the Make Cart button like normal. It may seem like it did nothing but this puts the rom in the flasher folder even though it isn't flashing like it should. Now go into your NESmaker folder, then Flasher\INL-retro-progdump_map30\host. And in the host folder run flashcart.bat. SPECIFICALLY the one inside the HOST folder. The other flashcart.bat's will not work.
fsoCgWO.png

That should flash the rom to a cartridge like normal. Maybe make a shortcut to it to make it easier. While this doesn't fix the problem, it will get your game flashed and ready to go on your NES. ;)

Jonny

Does anyone have any experience with just flashing a chip i.e not on the board though a eprom pin programmer type device rather than with a cart flasher ?

axbakk

Jonny said:
Does anyone have any experience with just flashing a chip i.e not on the board though a eprom pin programmer type device rather than with a cart flasher ?

You mean program an eprom with the game? Yes if thats the question. 😊

Jonny

Yeah, Im just starting to learn about the different microchips on the boards, that some are logic chips, then there's a chip thats only really needed when flashing and with the ability to flash the lockout chip too I just got thinking of doing somthing custom as an option for my game when its done.

I was wondering if it would be possible to design a simplified PCB for a specific game and do away with quite a bit of circuit (mirroring options etc) by flashing the chip off the board and not needing the logic chip that takes care of flashing. I've done them for arduino projects but not for anything like NES carts.

Basically, I just wondered if anyone had gone down the road of producing their own game specific UNROM board as an alternative to pre-made universal ones.

5kids2feed

Hmm... did everything you said, but getting this error :/ This thing is supposed to have drivers?

Attachments

• error2.jpg
    error2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 12
  • error.jpg
    error.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

dale_coop

Staff member
Install the drivers from the Flasher\INL_KazzoFlasherDriverPackage folder (the "setup.exe"), then reboot.
Make sure the cart is correctly plugged (label site of the cart should face the usb plug).
Run the flascart.bat or the flashcart_newargs.bat from the the "Flasher\INL-retro-progdump_map30\host\" folder.

5kids2feed

No setup.exe but did installdriver.exe.. rebooted and still same message ::cry face forever::

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 8

5kids2feed

Ok for some reason wasn’t working on my one computer. Installed drivers on my other computer with NESMaker and it worked when I did the newargs.bat... will have to try other computer when I’m around it. Thanks so much, Dale!

dale_coop

Staff member
Joe said the new version that will come very soon, will have all this fixed! (and the "Make Cart" will work again directly from nesmaker)

Austin#8167

Hello,

I have a problem. When I tried make a cart ( I used flashcart.bat) I see this message:
DEVICE FOUND, BUT CAN'T OPEN DEVICE, VERIFY DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED!!!
open_usb_device went to error
freeing device list
deinitializing libusb
[ERROR] (source/inlprog.c:362: errno: Bad file descriptor) Unable to open INL retro-prog usb device handle.
Fatal error encountered, exiting.

Reinstalling drivers did not work.
Any sugestions?

Top Bottom