Hello ^^

ElpisTK31

Hello ^^

I'm Elpis, and I have zero experience with anything programming related. I've always wanted to make a true NES game,
and I recently stumbled across some people discussing NESmaker, so I immediately bought it and now here I am.

My intention is to build a platformer akin to Battle of Olympus or Zelda II, and have already started messing around with NESmaker,
Trying to imitate what is presented in the Youtube tutorials for the 4.1 version, however a lot of the preset functions present in that version
seem to be replaced with placeholders, or free slots, and it's a little confusing. Is there something else I should watch?

Anyways, I am hoping to learn from you guys so that I can make a working game.

dale_coop

Staff member
Hey ElpisTK31

Glad to have you here with us :)
NESmaker can help you to make a small NES game even if you re not good at coding... folowing the tutorials and with some scripts on the forum.
But... make sure to use and follow tutorials and scripts from the same version than the NESmaker you are using (Because it's totally differnt between 4.1 and 4.5)

For 4.5 tutorials: www.thenew8bitheroes.com/LEARN (I suggest to start directly with all the "intermediate" videos)
Also the main tutorial, the "Orientation" video: https://youtu.be/yP6Crmyxcbk

Have fun!

ElpisTK31

Ah, thank you very much! ^^

It didn't even occur to me to watch the video's on the site. I'll go watch them right away!

sCabab1359

hI I am sCbab1359 I am new to thi forum. i need HELP. i have been using NESMaker for a few days, i was going good, i was following the tutorials, but now when I go to the collision editor i can no longer change the variable to "01 by pressing the "0" key. I'm not quit sure what happened, it just decided to stop working. i have even delted and re installed NESMaker and it dtill does not work, i am getting VERY frustrated and angry at how glitchy this sotfware is. PLEASE HELP!!! Before i lose my bacon completely!

dale_coop

Staff member
The « 0 » key will paint collision data with the one you selected in the selection list (on the left).
If you want to paint solid, select « solid » on the list, then your « 0 » will paint as solid on that screen.

Man, don’t get angry, just take a good breath, watch again the tutorials (the orientation video explains everything).

Jonny

Hi there, nice to meet you.

ElpisTK31 said:
Ah, thank you very much! ^^

It didn't even occur to me to watch the video's on the site. I'll go watch them right away!

There are a lot of videos on Youtube and Vimeo which are out of date. Make sure vids or even help topics you read in the forum are for the latest version.

Most of the Youtube videos don't say which version they're for, both Vimeo and Youtube have a plethora of material in no particular order. Needs a good clear out and organisation but they probably simply don't have the time. My advise is stick to the website tutorials, at least to begin with.

sCabab1359

so i got collisions figured out. yup my mistake i missed turning it to SOLID in the menue.
So now my issue is:
following the tutorial to a T, when i get to the part where i get my sword.. the player animation lags for a few seconds. the sword only shows up in one orientation no matter what direction i am facing and the sword also lags on the screen, i have had 4 swords on the screen at once just by walking and swinging my sword.

dale_coop

Staff member
Check again the video
Make sure you set the sword object "Action Step" 0 to "destroyMe" after a very short timer (I suggest to set the timer to "1")

sCabab1359

i should explain better. i have changed the sword so that it has a handle. its like an upside down "t" shape. so it needs to flip its orientation, for example a left when i attack left the sword handle is facing the player as it should, in the players hand.When i attack right the blade is in the players hand. and the same with up down. i can currently get it to work in two directions. i wish i could upload i video

dale_coop

Staff member
As explained in the tutorial video, you need to make an animation (sen if just 1 frame) for each direction of your sword, on the sword object editor.
(in the "intermediate" adventure video it's explained)
Then, once you have made your 4 animations (sword left, sword right, sword top, sword bottom), in the "Object Details" you need to assign each of those animation to the directions of the "animation type" (in your case, I presume, to the Default one).

sCabab1359

thanks for the video link. its really good except it doesnt help explain anything past 2018... wish they updated the vids to the newer version of the software

sCabab1359

ok. working with current tutorials, got things up and running......BUT, when my player is hurt from an object (spikes) on the left side of the object, 2 times out of 3, after the hrt animation he no longer collides with objects. when i leave the screen and try to come back, the player end up on a random screen. this only happens when taking damage while on the left side of the object. top bottom and right all recoil and go back to the game as normal

Top Bottom