List of Supported Hardware/Clones for Mapper 20/30

Skylancer

Compiling a list of supported Hardware that will run using Mapper 20/30 for those looking to play or develop games!

Currently Testing with Mystic Quest Origins

Working:
Hardware/Clones:
Original NES 1985 Console (NES-100)
Redesigned NES Console (NES-101)
Re-release NES Console (HVS-101)
HyperKin Retron HD* (M01888-GR)
Analogue NT/NT Mini (Rev1)

Emulators:
GameCube (FCEUX)

Not Working:
Hardware/Clones:
HyperKin Retron 5 (Older RetroArch, might be possible if HyperKin patches it)
HyperKin RetroDuo

Emulators:

If you're able to confirm any additional Hardware and Clones, that would be nice to let the community know! :D

Edit:
4/28/2018 - Add Emulators

It also works on the old 3ds, if you run "quicknes".
Fceumm works as well, but it's slow on the old 3ds.
(It may work better on the new 3ds, I'll test soon.)

I'd say it probably means it works on some versions of the retron hd,
I think the only way to know is by testing though.

dale_coop

Staff member
Karakara | Karetro said:
Whats the asterisk near the retron HD for? Just wondering because thats what i own

How is the Retros HD, I watched video about it and it said the color palette is off. Is that true? bothersome?
I can't afford a retroUSB AVS (sadly), so I was thinking about a Retros HD or a RetroBit Res+...

dale_coop said:
Karakara | Karetro said:
Whats the asterisk near the retron HD for? Just wondering because thats what i own

How is the Retros HD, I watched video about it and it said the color palette is off. Is that true? bothersome?
I can't afford a retroUSB AVS (sadly), so I was thinking about a Retros HD or a RetroBit Res+...
For me personally, I don't see much of a difference in the color palette. Its barely noticeable as far as I can tell, although I'm sure there are exceptions where it would look off. If its there, I don't find it bothersome. I could try to find a way to get some screenshots on different monitors to see if the color varies.
The only issues I've found (no matter how small) were:
  • The HDMI didn't work on my VGA monitor with a converter (Had to use a AV->HDMI instead, it might be my VGA converter). Might be something about the hertz rate.
  • The sample channel sounded a little off with SMB3... might just be my copy or that I never had it until recently, and it sounds different in emulators.
  • (Not a complaint from me) There's a 10ms input lag when using the HDMI
  • Carts are hard to pull out (Pull sideways, it helps)
For the $40 price tag, I would say its a great deal.

Honestly due to my color-blindness I wouldn't even notice a change in colors. :lol:
Also, is it natively vga?
Because I use an hdmi/composite hdtv.

Redherring32 said:
Honestly due to my color-blindness I wouldn't even notice a change in colors. :lol:
Also, is it natively vga?
Because I use an hdmi/composite hdtv.
No, it's natively hdmi/AV, I used a converter box

cargo

spam bots yandex
I can confirm the nesmaker mapper 30 cart works with the Retron 3.

dale_coop said:
Overall the colors are darker on the Retron HD with some strong pinkish tones on those colors you would use for white skin (e.g. think Lance and Bill from Contra with a sunburn). The sound is a little off assuming you know how a real Nintendo sounds. The controls are actually very comfortable to hold though.

dale_coop

Staff member
I can confirm a NESMaker game flashed on a INL CART works well on the Hyperkin RetroN HD.
But due to the weird color palette of the RetroN HD, the result is not really accurate (color wise).

Here the RetroN HD palette (Top) compared to the NESMaker one (Bottom):
Retron-HD-NESMaker.png

Source (for the RetroN HD palette infos): http://rgbsource.blogspot.com/2017/10/retron-hd-nes-color-palette-extracted.html

wallmasterr

Compatible Clone consoles NES maker mapper 30, adding those works to the post for better search results for me later.
I'm gonna buy a few of the cheaper new clone consols and see if they work, dout it but worth a go. Does anyone own any of them and can verify any more that do or don't work?
I wanna know what the best consol is to tell people to buy to play this slew of new NES games on Kickstarter this year.

Working:
Original NES 1985 Console (NES-100)
Redesigned NES Console (NES-101)
Re-release NES Console (HVS-101)
HyperKin Retron HD* (M01888-GR)
Analogue NT/NT Mini (Rev1)
Retron 3

Not Working:
HyperKin Retron 5 (Older RetroArch, might be possible if HyperKin patches it)
HyperKin RetroDuo

Unknown:
8-bitHD (http://www.gamerztek.com/product-p/8-bit-hd.htm)(HDMI)
8-Bit Entertainment System (http://www.gamerztek.com/product-p/8-bit-es1.htm)
Es-Zoga NES-101
Hyperkin Retron 1
There were a few clone consols in Europe too would bee good to know if any of those works and add them to the list, if anyone has any please post here so we can build the list
BOS 2800 Portable Console TV
Game Poly Station Playstation Design

TakuikaNinja

I know this thread is kinda old but I'm adding this anyway.

Working:
NES/FC Classic Mini (CLV-X01) with Retroarch (FCEUmm)*

*I've only tested this with RetroArch 184 Xtreme, so I'm unsure about the other versions.
*Mapper 30 games can be added to an unmodded console by changing the header to use mapper 2, but some features will be limited (e.g. bank switching).

Dirk

axbakk said:
Not working (on my machine):
Famicom (graphic glitches on sprites)

That comes a bit as a surprise. I'm curious if others have the same problem and how easy it is to fix.

TakuikaNinja

axbakk said:
Not working (on my machine):
Famicom (graphic glitches on sprites)

Hmm, do you have an older revision? (Square buttons? No metallic noise?)
Also, in what way are the sprites glitched? If I recall correctly, some NESmaker games suffer from a tile corruption (1st tile stored in the PPU, usually a transparent tile) after the player re-spawns.

Top Bottom