Jump Script Fix - aka - I believe I can (stop) fly(ing)

WolfMerrik

Definitely a good idea, I updated the comments in the asm file, and also added a link to this post,
The current version of the file is still HERE

cornphillips

WolfMerrik said:
dale_coop said:
Nice! Will try this script asap.
Thanks WolfMerrik

It is about time I started adding some code to this and got my feet wet with ASM.
It is definitely VERY alien to me, and this was really the first code I wrote for NESMaker

I would definitely appreciate any feedback from you, and you are very welcome!

Hm. Since we probably have a very similar implementation, maybe you can pipe me all your game object settings, since you aren't really observing this?

cornphillips

WolfMerrik said:
cornphillips said:
Its a great fix but it doesn't solve my problem, maybe an issue with the collision system.

When I am moving right or left, and falling in the air, when i hit the ground, i appear to hit, then bounce up a pixel for a few frames, then i fall to the ground.
It makes precision platforming much more frustrating to handle.

I had not noticed that in the platformer I was working on, but I will definitely take a look at it, and maybe we can both figure it out.
I know the bounding boxes take into account an extra pixel, so I took one off the bottom of my player object.

Although it sounds like you are indeed having an issue with something in the collision script. Have you tried adjusting the values/speeds of your player object?

It seems like my bug happens no matter what I set my speeds for my player, though I don't have familiarity to adjust the inner workings beyond the jump force in the input script.

It seems to happen when player1 falls to the at least one tile distance, but not when you are jumping up a tile, or when you are jumping onto flat ground.
I also took 1 pixel off the bottom. Maybe adjusting the max gravity speed would help..
Cheers!

WolfMerrik

cornphillips said:
It seems to happen when player1 falls to the at least one tile distance, but not when you are jumping up a tile, or when you are jumping onto flat ground.
I also took 1 pixel off the bottom. Maybe adjusting the max gravity speed would help..
Cheers!

Yeah I am definitely experiencing this now, or atleast am noticing it more.
When I had even changed the jump to work via a PRESS, it didnt even fire at times, as there was usually 2-5 frames where I was not technically
on the ground after most landing.... that is NOT good haha.

I am going to try messing with a lot of the settings, I am assuming this MUST be a collision detection issue.

WolfMerrik

I tried various adjustments of these values from Constants.asm

Code:
MAX_VSPEED = $6 ;; used for gravity?
GRAVITY_LO = $40
GRAVITY_HI = $0
JUMP_SPEED = #$20

Sadly, with no luck. It may be the code handling the collisions itself, or something else entirely.

cornphillips

WolfMerrik said:
I tried various adjustments of these values from Constants.asm

Code:
MAX_VSPEED = $6 ;; used for gravity?
GRAVITY_LO = $40
GRAVITY_HI = $0
JUMP_SPEED = #$20

Sadly, with no luck. It may be the code handling the collisions itself, or something else entirely.

Agreed. Let's bug the devs about it in due time. Lol. Thanks for the deep dive!

Top Bottom