Made "CutScenes Introduction Screens" (for between Start Screen and Playable Screens)

dale_coop

Staff member
And what is the script assigned to your "press" "A" button? Only my script?
If it's my script... just assign it to another button, "START" or "B" button?

Bucket Mouse

dale_coop said:
And what is the script assigned to your "press" "A" button? Only my script?
If it's my script... just assign it to another button, "START" or "B" button?

If I map it to B, it's worse. The bug-out happens immediately because your script and the text box code are activated at the same time. Instead of going to the next line, it goes to the next screen, and loads the remainder of the first screen's text into the HUD.

if I had a copy of this I will put it in my projects folders of the games and replace the script loaded from the platformer module and tell nesmaker to use these scripts and boom game!

Bucket Mouse

I tried putting in the Hide HUD code to see if it would make a difference. It didn't.....the A button bug is still there. So it's a universal problem.

Also, it hides the HUD but it doesn't hide the player sprite like advertised. Did I do anything wrong here?

Code:
doNothingForWarpingToNextScreen:
  ;; Uncomment, if you want Hide the player during cutscene (cf. handleScreenLoads.asm too)
  ;; check the current state
  GetCurrentActionType player1_object
  CMP #$05                      ;; if action step 5 (cutscene)
  ChangeObjectState #$00, #$02  ;; change to action step 0 (idle)
  RTS

Code:
skipDrawingHudForCutScene:
    ;; Uncomment, if you want Hide the player during cutscene (cf. CutScenes_WarpToNextScreen.asm too) 
    ChangeObjectState #$05, #$02  ;; change to action step 5 
    ;; skip the HUD drawing (= no HUD)
    JMP skipDrawingHud_GameHandler
continueDrawingHudForCutScene:
    ;; dale_coop: continue as usual

dale_coop

Staff member
The script to hide the player was made to change the player "action step" to 05. Just make a animation with empty tiles for your player and assign this animation to action step 05.
It was written at a time where a lot of things didn't exist yet (the text boxes, the sprites disable/enable).
Of course, today, in the 4.0.11, it would require a lot of modifications.

PS: And as Joe said, a way better cutscene system will come in a future version of NESMaker.

dale_coop

Staff member
Did you try to skip the code of my "IntroScreens_WarpToNextScreen.asm" script (assigned to "A") when Textbox is onscreen.
for exemple, adding:
Code:
	LDA textBoxFlag
	BNE doNothingForWarpingToNextScreen
at the begining of the "IntroScreens_WarpToNextScreen.asm" script.

Bucket Mouse

dale_coop said:
Did you try to skip the code of my "IntroScreens_WarpToNextScreen.asm" script (assigned to "A") when Textbox is onscreen.
for exemple, adding:
Code:
	LDA textBoxFlag
	BNE doNothingForWarpingToNextScreen
at the begining of the "IntroScreens_WarpToNextScreen.asm" script.

Okay, well...that stops A from messing up the text box. But it also stops A from working period. After the box disappears, you can't warp.

I don't understand why because textBoxFlag is set to #$01 when the box is visible and set back to #$00 after the box is undrawn. Shouldn't the code here sense that?

dale_coop

Staff member
Hmmm. You right, it is weird.
As you said, the variable should be 00 when the textbox is finished.

dale_coop

Staff member
Or maybe, because your player is on the textbox tile, it keeps setting it to 01, over and over...?

Bucket Mouse

Well. You'll never guess what.

The script wasn't mapped to the button. I must have removed it at some point during testing! THAT'S why it wasn't working.

Once it was actually mapped to the button again it worked, and prevented the glitch. :oops:

I really like this idea...has it been updated for usage of 4.0.11? I'm gonna be adding in graphics too like Ninja Gaiden has in its Cut Scenes and I'm hoping I can use the bottom screen to act like the Cut Scene screens I need

dale_coop

Staff member
Not yet updated for the 4.0.11... even if it’s not difficult (did it for my challenges demo).
But the 4.1 will come soon, and a lot of changes. I think it would be smarter to wait and see.

even with an update it may not have any that to use screen to Cut Scene our way - I might like to experiment with some for my game to see what I could do with the system.

Bucket Mouse

dale_coop said:
The script to hide the player was made to change the player "action step" to 05. Just make a animation with empty tiles for your player and assign this animation to action step 05.

This doesn't work. The line that's supposed to change it to Action Step 5 doesn't change it to 5. It always changes it to Idle (zero), every time.

dale_coop

Staff member
Did you put the script at the right place? on 4.0.11(in the "HandleScreenLoads.asm" script, should be at line 326 : the line just BEFORE the "LDA HudHandler") ?

Bucket Mouse

dale_coop said:
Did you put the script at the right place? on 4.0.11(in the "HandleScreenoads.asm" script, should be at line 326 : the line just BEFORE the "LDA HudHandler") ?

Yes, I put it there -- right after

Code:
	LoadChrData #$1d, #$1c, #$00, #$40
	;;; black out hud space?
;	BlackOutArea #$20, #$00, #$80
;

But I'm using 4.0.6 to build this game.

dale_coop

Staff member
Perfect. And in the "Project Settings > Project Labels" , you did the rename the "Screen Flag 4" to "Cutscene screen" then checked your screens as "Cutscene screen" in the "Screen info" ?

Bucket Mouse

dale_coop said:
Perfect. And in the "Project Settings > Project Labels" , you did the rename the "Screen Flag 4" to "Cutscene screen" then checked your screens as "Cutscene screen" in the "Screen info" ?

I'm pretty sure I did because everything else works -- the screen change, the text, everything. The only problem is that the sprite doesn't disappear.

Top Bottom