The Tower of Turmoil

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Mihoshi20 said:
Not very sure how helpful or even useful this is but thought I'd toss it out there anyways as I was playing around today thinking about how close I could get the sprite to look as it should just using raw NESmaker and this is about as close as I could get. Also thought about how one of the unused effect game objects could be paired with a modified clone of the shoot at player script to act as a 'follow' sprite to fill in the rest of the face.

I tried your method of setting the player up last night, and while I think the standing animation looks pretty good, there's a lot of color bleeding on the other animations, specifically running.

Suprisingly, this method didn't take up much more space than my original tileset. Here's the original for reference:

7fHZtLg.png

I still think the layered sprite approach with the modified "shoot at player" script is the best choice. The problem for me however, is that I can't seem to figure out how to set it up, and I don't know how to call in a specific game object in asm.

I really appreciate you trying to help out though!

Ultimately your original plan to for the most part make the entire head a follow object is probably best as if you look at the megaman 1 spritesheet, they took great care to make nearly every pose megaman goes into have the head in the same position though I was looking for a way to offset as much of the work on the face as possible and really the way you redid the face doesn't look bad at all.

As for where to start at understanding the shoot at player ASM, I wish I had more time to completely rewrite the code myself and present it, but hopefully I can point you in the right direction. The problem I'd have to solve though is how to spawn the head on the screen at all time and have it follow the player. Joe actually talks a bit about how the shoot at player code works in the adventure tutorial. https://youtu.be/wH6G296onhs?t=2h48m20s

CreateObject temp1, temp2, #$0A, #$01

temp1 and temp2 are the X and Y positions of the monster firing the projectile. These would need to be changed to the X and Y coordinates/position of the player so that it spawns in the correct position.

#$0A is the object being spawned which equates to decimal 10 meaning it's the 10th item down on the GameObjects list. If you changed it to #$00 monsters would shoot the player sprite at the player. If changed to #$06 then monsters would shoot key pickup items at the player.

#$01 is what action state it's in, which might also be possible to modify to change between facial animations like what megaman does when jumping or when hit.

Another problem to solve would be the object speed so that it's always in the proper position following the player. The code has speed values assigned but they might only be local to the object so that it continues moving.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
Ultimately your original plan to for the most part make the entire head a follow object is probably best as if you look at the megaman 1 spritesheet, they took great care to make nearly every pose megaman goes into have the head in the same position though I was looking for a way to offset as much of the work on the face as possible and really the way you redid the face doesn't look bad at all.

As for where to start at understanding the shoot at player ASM, I wish I had more time to completely rewrite the code myself and present it, but hopefully I can point you in the right direction. The problem I'd have to solve though is how to spawn the head on the screen at all time and have it follow the player. Joe actually talks a bit about how the shoot at player code works in the adventure tutorial. https://youtu.be/wH6G296onhs?t=2h48m20s

CreateObject temp1, temp2, #$0A, #$01

temp1 and temp2 are the X and Y positions of the monster firing the projectile. These would need to be changed to the X and Y coordinates/position of the player so that it spawns in the correct position.

#$0A is the object being spawned which equates to decimal 10 meaning it's the 10th item down on the GameObjects list. If you changed it to #$00 monsters would shoot the player sprite at the player. If changed to #$06 then monsters would shoot key pickup items at the player.

#$01 is what action state it's in, which might also be possible to modify to change between facial animations like what megaman does when jumping or when hit.

Another problem to solve would be the object speed so that it's always in the proper position following the player. The code has speed values assigned but they might only be local to the object so that it continues moving.
Getting the Head on the screen all the time is actually pretty simple, just set it to PERSISTENT like the player. Now the big issue is to get the head following the player...

Thanks for breaking down the CreateObject macro, now I know how it works. I'm still having trouble loading another game object into a register. You know how if you want to load the player object into register X you write "LDX player1_object", what's the reference name for the other game objects?

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Getting the Head on the screen all the time is actually pretty simple, just set it to PERSISTENT like the player. Now the big issue is to get the head following the player...

Thanks for breaking down the CreateObject macro, now I know how it works. I'm still having trouble loading another game object into a register. You know how if you want to load the player object into register X you write "LDX player1_object", what's the reference name for the other game objects?

Hmm, thought never even crossed my mind to actually set something else as persistent, like an effect game object and just see what happens. That would make things much easier as then you'd just have to worry about getting the player position and then moving the object to the player and adjusting until it's in the right position. This was really easy to do in flash and game maker studio, but I'm still treading the waters of and poking around in assembly to nail down when I have the free time to play in.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
Hmm, thought never even crossed my mind to actually set something else as persistent, like an effect game object and just see what happens. That would make things much easier as then you'd just have to worry about getting the player position and then moving the object to the player and adjusting until it's in the right position. This was really easy to do in flash and game maker studio, but I'm still treading the waters of and poking around in assembly to nail down when I have the free time to play in.
I can confirm I haven't had any issues with setting the Head to PERSISTENT.

Mihoshi20

Yeah, this is going to be a fun one when it comes out. Getting a strong MegaMan/Rockman Zero vibe from it. The first of the MegaMan series I actually liked and played aside from Battle Network. Been excited since I saw the initial sprites and the original PC game was really fun too.

CutterCross

Probably not going to be able to implement this anytime soon, but I thought I'd share it with those who are interested.

I made a special Pause Screen in NESst and imported it into the special screen editor. (Right now it's set as the Win Screen as there's no other special screens we can use yet.)

PiLeNS7.png

I'm honestly shocked at how little color clash there is for a character with so many colors.

I'm also planning to have a pointer sprite showing what floor the player's on, showing how much progress they made. It'll be cool to finally implement this when future versions of NESmaker can support dedicated Pause/Menu screens (like in Mystic Searches).

drexegar

Oh man awesome graphics here, hey about the title screen I would recommend removing the dark grey shade color out of the lighter bricks that make the letters, that will make the contrast and the perspective look more dynamic than it is right now.

drexegar

CutterCross said:
Probably not going to be able to implement this anytime soon, but I thought I'd share it with those who are interested.

I made a special Pause Screen in NESst and imported it into the special screen editor. (Right now it's set as the Win Screen as there's no other special screens we can use yet.)

PiLeNS7.png

I'm honestly shocked at how little color clash there is for a character with so many colors.

I'm also planning to have a pointer sprite showing what floor the player's on, showing how much progress they made. It'll be cool to finally implement this when future versions of NESmaker can support dedicated Pause/Menu screens (like in Mystic Searches).

This is very awesome, its almost looks more a tower map screen, if you make a custom variable, you can use this win screen at the end of every level and also use the write sprite to put a blip on the map while using the same variable to control that and then teleport the player to the beginning of the corresponding stage!

CutterCross

chronosv2 said:
This is looking absolutely amazing. I look forward to seeing what more you create!
timkilgore said:
I love the music in this so much!
drexegar said:
Oh man awesome graphics here,
Thank you all!

drexegar said:
hey about the title screen I would recommend removing the dark grey shade color out of the lighter bricks that make the letters, that will make the contrast and the perspective look more dynamic than it is right now.
Original:
mf7sfZX.png

Alternate:
Twm22sG.png

I see where you're coming from, but personally I like the original better.

CutterCross

drexegar said:
This is very awesome, its almost looks more a tower map screen, if you make a custom variable, you can use this win screen at the end of every level and also use the write sprite to put a blip on the map while using the same variable to control that and then teleport the player to the beginning of the corresponding stage!
It's kinda like a tower map screen! But each stage/floor wouldn't be long enough to require stopping the action at the end of every floor to show that off. The action is supposed to flow between floors, so I had that idea to show the map on a pause screen, along with some nice graphics.

A tower map like your example isn't a bad idea at all! But it wouldn't fit too well for my game specifically.

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:

PiLeNS7.png

That is looking amazingly cool and fantastic.

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Mihoshi20 said:
That is looking amazingly cool and fantastic.
Thank you! I'm amazed at how well it turned out!

You're a pretty amazing artist along with composer so you hit the two big ones out of the park when it comes to NES development.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
You're a pretty amazing artist along with composer so you hit the two big ones out of the park when it comes to NES development.
That truly means a lot to me. Thank you!

Now if only I was an amazing coder haha, then everything would be perfect! xD

Oh, and I might as well show off the original artwork I drew before I made the NES artwork, for those who are interested:

fWG3u7Z.jpg

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Mihoshi20 said:
That truly means a lot to me. Thank you!

Now if only I was an amazing coder haha, then everything would be perfect! xD

Oh, and I might as well show off the original artwork I drew before I made the NES artwork, for those who are interested:

fWG3u7Z.jpg

I like it a lot. It translated really well, and coding is something you develop and get better at over time the more you do it but one reason why I picked up NESMaker is because I learn better through reverse engineering. Studying what already exists, how it works, playing with it, and then making my own code from what I've learned. NESMaker was a great opportunity as I'd been dabbling in NES development before I'd heard about NESMaker and even made a terrible and buggy game. With NESMaker and what I've learned from it is like going from impulse power to warp speed.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
I like it a lot. It translated really well, and coding is something you develop and get better at over time the more you do it but one reason why I picked up NESMaker is because I learn better through reverse engineering. Studying what already exists, how it works, playing with it, and then making my own code from what I've learned. NESMaker was a great opportunity as I'd been dabbling in NES development before I'd heard about NESMaker and even made a terrible and buggy game. With NESMaker and what I've learned from it is like going from impulse power to warp speed.
NESmaker is my introduction to 6502 ASM, and I can definitely agree that I've learned more from studying others' code and the module code than if I started from scratch. I'm still an amatur at coding, but it's all a learning process for me and for many others.

Also thanks for liking the original concept art. Maybe I should share more when I start showing off more NES assets.

Dirk

CutterCross said:
Maybe I should share more when I start showing off more NES assets.

I think that's a great idea! I love seeing the transitions from concept art to the final implementation.

And as others have already said: awesome graphics!

Top Bottom