The Tower of Turmoil

drexegar

CutterCross said:
I see where you're coming from, but personally I like the original better.

Wow thats awesome of you showing me the results! Yeah making design choices can be crazy! I'm making giant sprites for cut scene graphics right now and I realized I need to remove lots of detail and shading if I want to save space and fit in a lot of characters and scenes! Keep up the good work!

CutterCross

Dirk said:
I thinks that's a great idea! I love seeing the transitions from concept art to the final implementation.

And as others have already said: awesome graphics!
Alright, I'll keep that in mind! And thanks again!

drexegar said:
Wow thats awesome of you showing me the results! Yeah making design choices can be crazy! I'm making giant sprites for cut scene graphics right now and I realized I need to remove lots of detail and shading if I want to save space and fit in a lot of characters and scenes! Keep up the good work!
Designing for the NES is a monumental challenge to make things look good! But that's also part of the fun! It's all about compromise and careful planning. I've also been working on SOME cutscene stuff, but most of that's on the backburner for now as we're all still learning the basics of NESmaker and 6502 ASM in general. It's fun to plan this stuff out, but it's also important to know that it'll be awhile before we can REALLY put that stuff to good use.

drexegar

CutterCross said:
Dirk said:
I thinks that's a great idea! I love seeing the transitions from concept art to the final implementation.

And as others have already said: awesome graphics!
Alright, I'll keep that in mind! And thanks again!

drexegar said:
Designing for the NES is a monumental challenge to make things look good! But that's also part of the fun! It's all about compromise and careful planning. I've also been working on SOME cutscene stuff, but most of that's on the backburner for now as we're all still learning the basics of NESmaker and 6502 ASM in general. It's fun to plan this stuff out, but it's also important to know that it'll be awhile before we can REALLY put that stuff to good use.

About that. I plan on using no coding except just variable manipulation. Make a wide screen with a background (I recommend no bigger taller than 64 pixel (Most NES widscreen cutscene which also the same height of you graphic banks), and one character can be the background while the other is a sprite monster. With my variable and inputs I can force the animation of the character to change to invisible(and also good way to include another character in your game or if you character going to drive a vehicle etc.) and block the character moving or disable the controls (I have a disable code but blocking the character saves coding space) Open up the text box window (Mine is place in the bottom in the same spot as ninja gaiden) and let it rip! Once the character is done talking, you can then teleport the character to the next screen.

But with the new update coming, we could just teleport the character to another screen at the end of its own animation!

This is not wish thinking its screen/gameplay manipulation, there will never be enough room to waste your time coding cutscenes, when you can just make a level as a cutscene!

CutterCross

Here's the second iteration of The Tower of Turmoil!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scb-rsNmMHI

The music bug still hasn't been fixed, but I heard from Joe that they're working on that issue for the 4.1.0 release.

HJ1Cc8R.png
JyDZecP.png
bYJEjZ5.png
iP6JNit.png

I've made quite a lot of changes with this build. First off, you can FINALLY attack enemies! I've even added some new SFX and graphical effects after enemies are killed.

There's new Monster Locks for each room with enemies, so you have to kill all the enemies to progress to the next room.

I've added a new Fireball hazard, although it shoots semi-randomly and is hard to predict. May need some help fixing that.

I've added new animated controller indicators to act like a small tutorial, being as least intrusive as possible.

I've modified a few scripts to make sure the player enters his Falling animation after running off a ledge.

Finally, I set up a custom Down-Thrust attack animation (like from Shovel Knight and DuckTales), but I haven't been able to get the actual attack to work.

Let me know what you think and if you have any tips for me!

Last edited:

CutterCross

jsherman said:
Great looking game, and the tutorials are very clever!

Thanks man! Yeah, I didn't want to have to stop the game to throw up a bunch of text to explain things. It's really unnecesary for this sort of game, and I didn't want to bog the pace down. I had a couple extra tiles in my tileset, so I came up with this!

CutterCross

So... I'm kinda stupid for not noticing this earlier.

I was about to make a post in the Suggestions tab about getting Screen Specific tiles working since I couldn't seem to use them. Then as I was about to finish that post, I found out I could switch from Main tiles to Screen Specific tiles by clicking the Main tiles button in the Assets interface.

*facepalm

tnaGPZ6.png

Well, time to work on a new feature! haha

dale_coop

Staff member
Ah ah, yes I remember Joe show that in the old beta videos. But since NESMaker is officially out, he didn't really show that part. Sad, because specific tiles are very usefull!

CutterCross

jorotroid said:
This is looking fantastic! Great art. Great music. Were you influenced by Batman's title music?

Yeah, Batman was a pretty big influence for the title music. I wanted to have the same sort of dark, atmospheric vibe to it.

CutterCross

Here's the third iteration of The Tower of Turmoil! I figured I might as well get this out before 4.1.0 releases.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEHvVr2Df18

WkxXjq8.png
BiCrQa2.png
63FXSke.png
93BPo7b.png
dVHpLzD.png
nyco3bx.png

I added some more features!

First off, I updated the title screen a little bit.

The Down-Thrust attack ACTUALLY WORKS NOW!

The fireball hazards move a lot slower and shoot in a predictable pattern.

I've added new one-hit-kill spike hazards (like Megaman).

Lastly, I added a new spear-trap which emerges from the wall, requiring careful timing to get past it.

Once again, let me know what you think!

Last edited:

CutterCross

functionalform said:
fucking phenomenal.

that triple jump stab is just wow.
jorotroid said:
Very nice! I also really enjoyed the triple bouncy stab. The spear-traps look really cool, too.
Gazimaluke said:
Looking good. I need to get my insta-kill spikes to insta-kill too ^^

Thanks a lot guys!

functionalform said:
you gotta explain how you pulled those tricks off.

It actually wasn't that hard in the long run! I just edited the HandleObjectCollisions_Platform_Simple.asm script where it checks to see if the "Jump-On Kills" bit is flipped. Instead of looking for a bit flip, it just checks if the player is in his Down-Stab action state.

Starting on line 168:
Code:
	;;;;;;;;;;;; IN A PLATFORM GAME, WE MAY WANT TO CHECK TO SEE IF WE STOMPED THE MONSTER.
	:;;;;;;;;;;;; THIS IS WHERE WE DO THAT.
	;LDX tempx
	;LDA Object_vulnerability,x
	;AND #%00001000					;Here we would change if monsters can be stomped on or not

LDX player1_object				;But we're going to do it a bit differently
	GetCurrentActionType player1_object		 
    	CMP #$06                       			;Is the player down-attacking?	
	BEQ jumpOnMonster				;If so, we're able to jump on monsters to kill them
	;LDX player1_object
	JMP dontJumpOnMonster

Top Bottom