Finding script to modify for Effect 1

brockj

So I am very new to NesMaker, but I am trying to track down the script where I can modify the palette for Effect 1. While this is the exact object I am looking to work with, any hints to identifying scripts that relate to objects in general? Some are pretty straightforward, this one, for some reason is alluding me. Thanks in advance!

chronosv2

Thankfully it's not as difficult as editing a script! Click "Effect 1" in the left menu, click the part of the sprite you want to change the color to and then click the color palette you want to switch it to. Do that for all remaining blocks that are part of your sprite.
Keep in mind that this just tells the engine whether to use Player/Object palette one or two, not actually setting colors. You do that in the Player object -- meaning you've got to use one of the two palettes.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yes, it's important to keep in mind that ALL the "game objects" use the palettes assigned to the Player.
Even if, in your "Effect 1", you assign another palette... it will not use it. You just set SubPal#1 or SubPal#2.

brockj

chronosv2 said:
Click "Effect 1" in the left menu, click the part of the sprite you want to change the color to and then click the color palette you want to switch it to. Do that for all remaining blocks that are part of your sprite.

This is what I thought I needed to do, but it was still not setting it.

dale_coop said:
Yes, it's important to keep in mind that ALL the "game objects" use the palettes assigned to the Player.
Even if, in your "Effect 1", you assign another palette... it will not use it. You just set SubPal#1 or SubPal#2.

This is what the problem was, I created a 3rd palette for Effect 1, but it wasn't applying because I was locked into the two subpalettes for the player.

So maybe a different way I could attack this (pun intended), I am trying to create a death animation for a monster sprite. Following the tutorials I was using effect 1. At first I tried to handle this by creating an additional animation for the monster, but it wasn't working as intended so I moved on to effect 1. That worked perfectly, with the exception of using the player palette. I will go back to trying the monster animation and see if I can get that to work.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yes, you might be able to use a "ChangeObjectState" (for example the #$07, with an End of animation "DestroyMe") instead of the "DeactivateCurrentObject" in the "_HandleMonsterHurt" script when a monster dies.
(don't forget to comment the "CreateObject temp, temp1, #$09, #$00" on donePickup at the end of the "_HandleDrops" script.

That could work.

Top Bottom