Wrong colors in Win Screen

mystemo

I'm having some trouble with the win screen in a game I'm making.
I've created the scene and set up the palettes the way I want it to look in the Editor. But when I run the game in the emulator the colors get messed up.
Is this because of something I've done wrong or is it a problem with NES Maker?

graphics_zpsl7ny8vxd.jpg

Kasumi

Edit: Oh. Wait. There's some other issues besides just the relative color that I missed. That is probably a problem with NES Maker, yes. I thought you just meant the slightly different variations, I'm blind and missed the larger errors. The explanation below might still be a good read for that so I'll leave it.

Simple-ish explanation: NES doesn't use RGB color (which most modern screens do). To display NES colors on modern screens, one has to convert between the NES color space and RGB color. Some NES colors are out of range for RGB (too bright, too blue, too whatever), and this can be dealt with in a variety of different ways, but they are all compromises based on different things (hence all the different palettes out there for NES.
Click to see how different two images look on many palettes. https://i.imgur.com/LLrgdbT.png
It's just something everyone has to deal with. There's no "right" set of NES colors. And even if you find one that's pretty close to your TV, it's not likely you'll be able to get everyone who plays your game to use that set of colors.

dale_coop

Staff member
It's the fun of NES dev... all the emulators and all the different hardwares render differently the NES colours. Because every system implements its own NES palette.
If you use the original NES, or the mini classic, or the NT Mini, or fceux, or mesen, ... you will never have the same colours.
I think there is a topic somewhere in this forum, with screenshots of the same game in differents systems. It' s funny to see sometimes blue becomes purple on certain system (or red almost pink)...

It IS normal, it's not a bug.

Dirk

But black shouldn't become yellow and it should change consistently and not half of the pixels stays black and the other half turns yellow.

dale_coop

Staff member
Hwo did you make your screen? importing a CHR file?
Sometimes it has strange results... I would suggest you reassign the right palette to the tiles that look off.
(using the "Q", "W", "E" and "R" shorcuts to re-paint/re-assign respectively the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th palette on your screen tiles)

chronosv2

The problem with just using the pixel tool for your screens is that it doesn't take into account the attribute table and palette limitations. I think, judging by your weirdly colored silhouettes, that you're running into palette table clashes.
Each 16x16 pixel block on the NES Screen has to use the same palette for background objects, so if you're off that grid things are going to be weirdly colored.

I actually recommend using NES Screen Tool to make your screens for now. There's a video on doing it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2DAFi2-cxI

mystemo

Yeah, I suspected that it might have something to do with the paIette limitations. I "fixed" the problem by making the scene greyscale instead. Not a perfect solution but it worked out pretty well :lol:

chronosv2

That part of the program will get ironed out eventually!
That's why NESMaker is still a work in progress. :D

Top Bottom