Using Two Tilesets Simultaneously

DSherm99

I used the "View PPU" function in the fceux emulator while testing a NES Maker game, and noticed that there was space for another tileset. Here are some pictures, using the Adventure and Platformer games as examples:

Pic 1.JPG

Pic 2.JPG

Out of curiosity, I checked the PPU on a few other NES games, including Mystic Origins, and found that the space was completely used:

Mystic Origins:
Pic 3.JPG

Zelda 1:
Pic 4.JPG

So I was wondering if, in the future, we could use two tilesets on a screen simultaneously. That would certainly be helpful.

Mihoshi20

The section your have circled is used for path/auto-tiles. I made a diagram during the beta which laid out all the PPU sections and what they were for. Granted it was made before the HUD was editable, of which it is now.

Zelda 1 is SNROM/Mapper 01 in which it is capable of partially swapping out sections of the video ram. UNROM/UNROM-512 to my understanding doesn't have this capability. The entire tileset would have to be swapped out. Granted, through some assembly editing though another tileset could be substituted for the paths block, like for instance more screen tiles.

PPU_chart.png

DSherm99

Thank you all for clearing that up. It would be handy, though, if NES Maker had an option to switch out path tiles for more screen tiles.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, it certainly WOULD be handy. However, path tiles can create comprehensive, complex shapes that would take MANY rows of tiles to create, whereas you couldn't fit as many tiles in the same space as you could paths data wise.

This was very calculated over 5 years of using it, how to maximize and make flexible the graphics banks available in the most diversified way. One could always get in and wrangle with the code for advance use :)

Top Bottom