4.0.11 UPDATE!

Is anyone having issues with the Player hurt sound when loading 4.06 adventure game on 4.011? I was able to get everything to work fine, reset all codes that needed to be slightly altered with update, added all my sound effects and everything plays fine, except when i get hit by an enemy. For some reason Adventure_HandlePlayerHurt script is the only script with a "PlaySound #SFX_(SFX LABEL)" that will not load properly, so I am not able to select the sound I want this SFX to use, for example sfx_ouch or sfx_zap.

If i have my last two lines of code in the Adventure_HandlePlayerHurt script as follows calling the SFX_LABEL it will bug out and crash game when hit by enemy:

PlaySound #SFX_PLAYER_HURT
doneWithPlayerHurt:

If last two lines in script call the sound effect directly in the Adventure_HandlePlayerHurt script it works fine, for example

PlaySound #sfx_ouch
doneWithPlayerHurt:

Or

PlaySound #sfx_zap
doneWithPlayerHurt:

Any idea why i can not set the player hurt sound like I would set any other sound effect using the SFX Labels? Thanks.

dale_coop

Staff member
Had the same issue... made the same modifications.
Don't know what is happening here (and didn't make further tests)

dale_coop said:
Had the same issue... made the same modifications.
Don't know what is happening here (and didn't make further tests)

Dale have you been able to get Death Blocks to work on Adventure Module for update 4.0.11? I been playing around with code, but keep getting errors.

dale_coop

Staff member
dark_crow_66 said:
Dale have you been able to get Death Blocks to work on Adventure Module for update 4.0.11? I been playing around with code, but keep getting errors.

Yes, I have death tiles working, I modified the "playerDeath.asm" script:
Code:
CPX player1_object
    BNE finishedPlayerDeathTile

LDA player1_object
	CMP #$FF ;; this would mean he's dead.
	BEQ finishedPlayerDeathTile

;;ELSE Player DEATH
    .include SCR_HANDLE_PLAYER_DEATH

finishedPlayerDeathTile:
 	RTS

And assigned this script to a Collision Type in the "Project Settings > Scripts settings".

...I think that's the only modification I made.

Wildheart_Baby

Weirdest error, I followed the adventure game tutorial for the projectile, but when I get the pickup and the ability to fire, it fires once then the player is stuck and can't fire again. I created a new project to ensure code I added to the other project wasn't affecting the projectile code.

dale_coop

Staff member
Check your "Action Steps"... the action step "2" need to have a animation speed different then 0 and "End of animation" to "GoToFirst".
And maybe check that you have sounds imported in your proejct (because the script uses the "sfx_shoot" sound), or comment the line "PlaySound #sfx_shoot" in the create_projectile script.

elisavage

So when I d/l the tutorial assets from the website to follow along with the video tutorial they seem to only have the NewAssets in the d/l. As I follow along I am a not sure where to find, for instance, the .monster and module files Joe loads in from the adventure tutorial folder at about 40:59 in the video. Did I miss something simple in the steps to bring in these basic assets? All of the proper .bmp files are in the adventure assets downloads, but none of the monster files etc. I have been making each of the elements for animation for the player character, but it is slowing down my tutorial progress.I suppose this will be helpful in the long run because I am inputting all of this info? Bu if anyone has experienced trying to start the tutorial from scratch having purchased nesmaker at the .11 build, have you figured this out?

Cheers,
Eli

TurtleRescueNES

You are supposed to build the monsters and objects yourself. Joe had "cheat" imports that he used to save time on the tutorials.

If you are starting with the 4.0.11 platforming tutorial, then you may be missing some fundamental concepts. You can always watch older tutorials to fill in the gaps. While some details may have changes, the concepts remain the same. At the very least, watch the adventure module tutorial, as many of the basics are re-established there. You will have to invest a lot of time with the videos, but pace yourself because there is a lot to learn to succeed! :)

elisavage

So I went ahead and built up all of the player animations and set the actions. I also applied the code bugfix above. When I export and test I just get a black screen from FCEUX. I made sure to select skip start screen in the project info. Any ideas?

elisavage said:
So when I d/l the tutorial assets from the website to follow along with the video tutorial they seem to only have the NewAssets in the d/l. As I follow along I am a not sure where to find, for instance, the .monster and module files Joe loads in from the adventure tutorial folder at about 40:59 in the video. Did I miss something simple in the steps to bring in these basic assets? All of the proper .bmp files are in the adventure assets downloads, but none of the monster files etc. I have been making each of the elements for animation for the player character, but it is slowing down my tutorial progress.I suppose this will be helpful in the long run because I am inputting all of this info? Bu if anyone has experienced trying to start the tutorial from scratch having purchased nesmaker at the .11 build, have you figured this out?

Cheers,
Eli

elisavage

I am working off the adventure tutorial, not the platform. Sorry if I mis-articulated where I was working from.
Thanks!
jsherman said:
You are supposed to build the monsters and objects yourself. Joe had "cheat" imports that he used to save time on the tutorials.

If you are starting with the 4.0.11 platforming tutorial, then you may be missing some fundamental concepts. You can always watch older tutorials to fill in the gaps. While some details may have changes, the concepts remain the same. At the very least, watch the adventure module tutorial, as many of the basics are re-established there. You will have to invest a lot of time with the videos, but pace yourself because there is a lot to learn to succeed! :)

dale_coop

Staff member
elisavage said:
So I went ahead and built up all of the player animations and set the actions. I also applied the code bugfix above. When I export and test I just get a black screen from FCEUX. I made sure to select skip start screen in the project info. Any ideas?

Check your HUD: 2 rows min for the "HUD Area" and the rest for the "Playable Area".
And check your player is "Player" and "PERSISTENT".

elisavage

I thought for sure it would be the playable area didn't completely fill the area the HUD didn't occupy. The HUD is 3 rows. I double checked player and persistent, they are good. Still no dice. I am beginning to suspect it might have to do with my file folder architecture. I dragged the assets for the tutorial into the folder with NESMaker and I have been pretty fast & loose with my naming conventions and file placement. I think I will start fresh and see if I get the same mistakes. It might be tedious, but hey, repetition will make me much faster.
dale_coop said:
elisavage said:

Check your HUD: 2 rows min for the "HUD Area" and the rest for the "Playable Area".
And check your player is "Player" and "PERSISTENT".

elisavage

So I figured out what is happening. I went through the tutorial all over again. When I export and test, the game.nes file is deleted from the GameEngineData folder. That is why the screen is black on the emulator. Also, when I first export and test, it gives me the Power Up error (I definitely changed the code, saved it and double checked it after.) BUT when I put game.nes back into the folder and hit retest last export it works. no power up error, and game functions as normal. Do we set where the file compiles to in nesMaker settings? It seems really weird that the game.nes file gets deleted when it compiles. Sorry that I am a couple days into the forum and already having a bunch of issues.

Thanks everyone, you all are awesome!
-Eli

hey guys needing some update help im about to change the value maccros now but after that im pretty lost and i want to use the chekpoint function for my adventure game

Attachments

• nes maker update help.PNG
    nes maker update help.PNG
    43.8 KB · Views: 4,122
Hello,

Currently using 4.0.6 and consistanly have been getting a compiler error. I have tried starting on different screens, I have made sure all my animation frames are at one, made sure player pusistant is clicked and I have start skip start screen clicked, i used the music in the file provided. Here is a screen shot of my expert and test , once i press enter then i get the White screen of death ERROR!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181006-155937_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181006-155937_Chrome.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 4,039

dale_coop

Staff member
Have you set your HUD? 2 rows min and 2 cols min for the HUD Area and the rest for the Playable Area.

So I'm trying to use the adventure module. I selected the adventure module at the tileset creation options screen that you see at startup, I'm following the tutorial, I went to test my game and...

...I get this message:

pass 1..
Routines\System\HandleLoadHud.asm(10): Value out of range.
Routines\System\HandleHudData.asm(61): Value out of range.

Mind telling me what's happening here?

Top Bottom