NesMaker scripting language ?

digit2600

So, I'm not ducking out on learning asm, but I am a bit curious, Joe had mentioned a while back that he was considering a scripting language which would dynamite for those of us who already code in high evel languages... anyone hear anything on this ?

The whole drag and drop, point and click thing certainly appears to be well thought out and implemented, but I'm wondering how simple basic tasks such as setting variables and conditions will function, besides using the trigger events thing... I've only just begun to delve into asm, but it'll be a while before I can code even adequately in it, so that scripting language sounds enticing..

Mihoshi20

Don't know much about this scripting Language you speak of, but NESMaker is really just a front end to some NES specific 6502 ASM underpinnings. NESMaker just sticks the proper code and assets in the proper places and them just weaves it all together during assembly. So really if one wanted to, they could make significant changes to routines by hand and just have the tool setup screens and such. The code is a bit messy right now so it's not the most read or organized friendly, but the tool is still in very early beta so like how it will evolve over time, I imagine the underpinnings will too.

dale_coop

Staff member
And if you want an initiation, coding in NESMaker, take a look at the videos on Joe's Vimeo channel:
https://vimeo.com/joegranatoiv
It's perfect to learn how to use variables, make and call some subroutines, ...

FrankenGraphics

You can technically code in C on the NES, even if the 6502 family wasn't designed for C (there are some inefficiency issues, but as long as it works...) Shiru made "Zooming Secretary", sort of to prove that you can make worthwhile games this way. Shiru also released a library called neslib which you might want to check out. A popular C compiler for use on 65xx computers is the titular cc65 of the cc65 suite.

MistSonata

To my knowledge Joe hasn't said anything about a scripting language, but he did make a facebook post about the macros which will come with NESmaker, which are a different thing entirely. A high level language would be too inefficient for what Joe's trying to do, especially considering the underlying assembly needs to be versatile enough to make a wide variety of games.

You're better off just learning the 6502 Assembly.

Top Bottom