How to update NESmaker to 4.0.11

geoswan

Hi, I am having trouble with the platform module update. I followed the instructions and video tutorial but when I export and test (at any point) I get
"Error compiling stuff... Please check any code changes you have made."
I'm not sure if I updated it correctly. (I'm a beginner) Can anyone simplify the steps to updating?
Thanks

chronosv2

"Error compiling stuff" is the generic "There's an error and compiling the game failed" message that comes with all assembler failures.
You can drag a box around that text in the command prompt window, right click the title bar and click "Edit -> Copy" to get the error messages so that we can help you better.

geoswan

"What are the errors? (in the command window)"
If the(command window) is the black screen with the white lettering, It never stays on screen long enough to actually read anything. It disappears almost immediately and the only thing left on screen is a small white box with the error message. That's why I figured I downloaded or added the module files incorrectly and not made something wrong in the maker. I get that same error with a fresh project without even starting.
Here are the steps I took.
1. download NESmaker v4.0.11
2. extract all files
3. In "Downloads\nesmaker_4_0_11_platformula\NESmaker_4_0_11_Platformula" (I hope that's the root folder) delete the folder which is called GameEngineData
Should I delete that before extracting?
4. Download platform package
5. put platform_resources where deleted GameEngineData was
should I unzip first, then place?
6 extract all platform_resources
7 went into modules folder moved adventure module to "Downloads\nesmaker_4_0_11_platformula\NESmaker_4_0_11_Platformula"(root folder?)
8. open nesmaker 4.0.11 and start tutorial. 38 minute mark cant export and test
Is this correct?
Thanks

chronosv2

Oh! Okay. So the problem is that you deleted the contents of GameEngineData. The things added in v4.0.11's program zip file overwrite the files for 4.0.6, and add their own contents to that. When you deleted the contents of the GameEngineData folder you deleted the batch file that handles assembling your ROM (along with the assembler itself), so the program tries to run a command that doesn't exist and gives up.

Download 4.0.11, unzip it and then work through the tutorial from there. You can overwrite previous versions of NESMaker but it's possible that updating code could break other projects.

dale_coop

Staff member
In fact, in newsmaker 4.0.11, there already all the necessary modules. You don't need to download/install anything else.
The other zips (instructions and module zip) are for updating from an old version of NESMakers (version inferior to 4.0.11)
Good practice, when a new version released, just download the NESMaker_XXX.zip (the last version) unzip and enjoy (following the tutorial that's coming from).

geoswan

Oh, I feel so stupid. Thank you so much! I knew I was doing something wrong. Just glad it was a simple fix.

Top Bottom