Turtle Rescue

TurtleRescueNES

As seen in the NESMaker Platforming Tutorial, now you too can play the TURTLE RESCUE demo game! Just unzip the NES file and plug it into your favorite emulator!

A mean old racoon has trapped poor Flip. Can you help Toby rescue his buddy?

Attachments

• TurtleRescueDemo0827.zip
    26.4 KB · Views: 187

Kasumi

Cute game!
You forgot to set a tile as solid:
rxO981r.gif

Kasumi

I had already found them before I made the post, I just didn't mention it. I even tried to see if I could get back in bounds there. :D

Mihoshi20

jsherman said:
As seen in the NESMaker Platforming Tutorial, now you too can play the TURTLE RESCUE demo game! Just unzip the NES file and plug it into your favorite emulator!

A mean old racoon has trapped poor Flip. Can you help Toby rescue his buddy?

I love those A and B button indicators in the HUD so much.

TurtleRescueNES

Thank you! Those graphics are extremely inefficient and eat up 17 (!) tiles in the HUD tileset, but I think it's worth it. :)

There's probably a far more efficient way to do it, but it would require me to tamper with the HUD weapon display's XY offset, and I'm not there yet.

Bucket Mouse

I don't know if you'll get this reference or not but.....

Is the final boss going to be Enid from The Walking Dead?

TurtleRescueNES

Big thanks to darbybtg for choosing Turtle Rescue for his review of NESMaker games. You can see his video here:
https://youtu.be/v-imEodgS9Q

I've been spending the day enhancing my game. Not so much in level design, rather adding paths to represent treetops to free up some tile space.

I also added a fun add on to the title screen to help break down the 4th wall, which I plan to do more of in my game. Here's a peek!

ezgif-2-2634c94e2f.gif

Sorry Bucket Mouse, the reference was indeed lost on me. :(

TurtleRescueNES

While we wait for NESMaker 4.1, I'm still building new assets and game mechanics. This is a brief 1 minute video, but you'll see a surfboard (I wonder why...?), and couple new turtle designs, including Myrtle, the first female turtle in the game. Plus, at long last, hatching turtle eggs are now a part of the game! Our hero's ultimate goal is starting to emerge!

YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/fpSvtQddKK8

GIF:
ezgif-3-ad25ab4509.gif

TurtleRescueNES

The hatching is actually not all that complex. I used one game object for an egg with an idle state, a hatch state (which didn't work in the clip above, but works now) and a baby turtle state. I gave the baby turtle state a custom AI that always moves to the south, plays a sound effect, and decreases the egg counter by one. In the polished game it will also set the screen trigger so that the same egg cannot be hatched twice.

TurtleRescueNES

My wife and I were watching a nature special last night, and saw heartbreaking footage of newly hatched baby turtles hunted by various sea birds. Well, this cannot go unpunished. Toby the turtle will make sure that none of those rats with wings get their nasty beaks on any hatchlings in my game.

I've long planned to have enemy birds in my game, but that footage motivated me to program them now. I may continue do some fine tuning, but I managed to get them to work just like I imagined. The sprite is actually tall, with the birds flying in the air and their shadow cast on the ground. The birds only cause damage when they lower themselves to the ground, and that is also the only time they are vulnerable to attack. Go get 'em, Toby! :)

ezgif-3-b005096596.gif

You also might notice some new palm tree assets. I spent a LOT of time this weekend reworking my trees for efficiency / flexibility.

TurtleRescueNES

I've been adding more turtle friends with unique sprites. Introducing Pokey (on the left) and Twister (on the right). Twister will prove to be a very unique turtle... :)
I hope to have these turtles all over the game and really interact with our hero, Toby, to help tell the story.

game-4.png

Top Bottom