Made "CutScenes Introduction Screens" (for between Start Screen and Playable Screens)

dale_coop

Staff member
Hmmm... check again your Action Step 05 (using the correct animation and this animation IS empty tiles).

Bucket Mouse

dale_coop said:
Hmmm... check again your Action Step 05 (using the correct animation and this animation IS empty tiles).

Huh, this is weird. All the settings are right. It disappears now, but only on the second warp.

My cutscene is 3 screens long. On the first cutscene screen, it shows the Idle graphic -- on the second and third it does not.

EDIT: I think I know why. If you push A at any point BEFORE the sprite reappears (meaning before the text box disappears), the screen will display Idle instead of Action Step 05.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah, I could adapt my code for the 4.0.11 ;)
I was waiting for the new version 4.1... don't know if it will new special screen (cutscenes) system will be included. It's why I have not updated my tutorial, yet.

davidpgil

I thought you could not code in NESMaker... Was this feature added? I want to recreate a game intro cut scene by hand coding.

davidpgil

functionalform said:
NESmaker is basically an ASM6 frontend with accompanying code.
you can freely edit any and all of it, hence this coding forum.

Thanks. I was not aware of ASM6. You just helped me a great deal since I am teaching myself 6502 in general (not just for NES) and was wondering if anything exists that is not NESASM3, which seems pretty old.

I have been lurking here just seeing if NESMaker is worth my time because I am not too interested in abstracting away the complexity of NES dev. I guess what I am hoping for is NESMaker to be like an IDE for 6502 programming :D

dale_coop

Staff member
Yes you could say it's like an IDE for 6502 programming... sort of.
NESMaker comes with its own already coded engine. Then user can add graphics, make objects, sprites, tiles.
But anyone can modify ALL the scripts, adapt them, add new code, write monsters IA, write a complete different physics or collision system,...

davidpgil

dale_coop said:
Yes you could say it's like an IDE for 6502 programming... sort of.
NESMaker comes with its own already coded engine. Then user can add graphics, make objects, sprites, tiles.
But anyone can modify ALL the scripts, adapt them, add new code, write monsters IA, write a complete different physics or collision system,...

Can I take code from NESMaker and assemble it outside of NESMaker? Can I take my whole NESMaker game and just run "asm6 mygame.asm" and it will spit out a working nes file?

dale_coop

Staff member
I think you could... because the "compile" menu launch the batch: "asm6 MainASM.nes game.nes demo.txt"
But why would you do that outside of NESMaker... the better would be to use NESMaker to make your objects, write your code, and then compile the code to have the game.nes.
If you want to do things outside of NESMaker, I think NESMaker is not for you.
If you want more info, watch the different videos on the Youtube channel or on Vimeo.

davidpgil

dale_coop said:
I think you could... because the "compile" menu launch the batch: "asm6 MainASM.nes game.nes demo.txt"
But why would you do that outside of NESMaker... the better would be to use NESMaker to make your objects, write your code, and then compile the code to have the game.nes.
If you want to do things outside of NESMaker, I think NESMaker is not for you.
If you want more info, watch the different videos on the Youtube channel or on Vimeo.

My main reason for wanting the potential to assemble my project outside of NESMaker is, I don't want to be tied to an ecosystem. For example if all of a sudden, NESMaker decides to be a subscription service (which I would never agree to), I could just move my project elsewhere. I saw this happen with both my favorite 3Dsoftware and all of my favorite 2D art apps. I felt taken advantage of. Another example of this was when I was using Godot to make my game then suddenly they decided to not support the current file format they created and they made a new one that my files could not support. Its possible I could have just rebuilt the project, but I felt again like I was subject to somebody elses whims.

I do like using tools that make things convenient and easy to do, however, as I got older I am starting to appreciate the freedopm of the old tried and true formats and the freedom og not being tied to an ecosystem. Imagine if you were building a house and you had a hammer, then the company who created the hammer started charging fees just to use it. Youd be upset. You invested all this money to build a house and now someone else has come in and made your sacrafice more difficult.

I hope you understand where i'm coming from. Perhaps you are right, I should just code my own free and open tool that everyone can use, instead of hoping you guys can make my life easier.

DanielT1985

dale_coop said:
NEW SCRIPTS !!!
CUTSCENES FOR NESMAKER 4.0.6 --> http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=4010#p4010

OLD TECNHIQUE (4.0.0) :
Last night, I managed to make some "Introduction Screens" (in a not very beautiful way), to be played between the Start Screen and the first playable screen.

IntroScreens.gif

The technique I used is a variable "IntroScreens" initialized at "3" (because I have 3 intro screens) and used 3 normal screens that I designed like I wanted for my intro screens (assets, with some texts,... for exemple).
To link one screen to other, I used the "warp" functionality (as I can specify where my player will appear and I wanted to have him on the screen).

I made a script "WarpToNextScreen.asm" that check the "IntroScreens" variable, if not equal to "0", it decrease it and trigger a Warp! Else (if equal to "0", means no more Introduction screens to show, so the script to nothing). I assigned that script to the Press A button.

I modified all the the input/movement/loadScreens scripts to disable/skip some parts when the "IntroScreens" variable is not equal to "0".

(I will need to check with the v 4.0.2 that coming :p)

Do you have a script for just disabling the Hud? I already have an opening text cutscene for me, and all I need is the script for disabling the hud.

Also, I'm using 4.0.11

Also, Also, is there a 2nd code for disabling the player?

dale_coop

Staff member
Yes, in the "HandleScreenLoads.asm" screen, you could skipDrawingHud_GameHandler on a specific test (LDA $MyVariable CMP #$01 JMP skipDrawingHud_GameHandler), like I did here: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=4010#p4010
To disabling the player, you could ChangeObjectState of your player to set an empty animation... or try doing like the textbox code (call the "HideSprites" MACRO... then maybe the "ShowSprites" one)

CutterCross

I might as well share this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0J44fdQCFU&t=3s

I managed to make a Ninja Gaiden style opening for my NESmaker project, so it IS doable, and actually a lot simpler than your cutscene system!

Bucket Mouse

CutterCross said:
I might as well share this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0J44fdQCFU&t=3s

I managed to make a Ninja Gaiden style opening for my NESmaker project, so it IS doable, and actually a lot simpler than your cutscene system!

Oh wow! I'd love to know how that was done!

dale_coop

Staff member
CutterCross said:

I am really interested in a small tutorial ;)
Love your intro video!

SeaFoodAndButter

@CutterCross Yeah, I'd love to see a tutorial how that was done (I'm subbed to your YT channel). I wanted to do something similar to the Journey to Silius opening on NES.

CutterCross

SeaFoodAndButter said:
@CutterCross Yeah, I'd love to see a tutorial how that was done (I'm subbed to your YT channel). I wanted to do something similar to the Journey to Silius opening on NES.

That would actually be easier to create than my animated cutscenes, since nothing is really animated in the Journey to Silius intro. All you'd need to do is make a few screens made of background tiles and find a way to move from one to the next without player input.

(Also, Journey to Silius in an EXCELLENT game. One of my favorites on the NES.)

Top Bottom