Hud files : Value out of range

tapwater

Hello!
This is my first post and I've been going through the adventure tut video and ran into the below error when attempting to test more hud changes:
aQXcjML.png

The error reads:
pass 1..
Routines\System\HandleLoadHud.asm(49): Value out of range.
Routines\System\HandleHudData.asm(49): Value out of range.
demo.txt written.

So through the tutorial I added the Lifekeyscash HUD asset and threw it in as an element. I loaded the game and it worked out alright. I was able to see the displayed text in the hud. Continuing with the tutorial I added the user variables for myHealth, mykeys, myMoney and placed the respectfully to the right of the hud text. No code changes were made. Then the game was unable to load with the above error.

Troubleshooting steps taken:
I attempted to revert all user variables to the initial values and clear the HUD elements.
I attempted to remove all types from all elements under the HUD element tab (under HUD & Boxes root folder) which did not assist.
I navigated to the folder path within the error to try and remove/replace the asm files with fresh files (downloaded from the website) which give the same error.
There are no delete/revert options int he HUS & Boxes area.
I already saved my project and am unable to go back to an older version to try and remedy the change.

The only thing I can think of that I did wrong from the tutorial video is change one of the elements (element6) to test another HUD asset. This was simply to test which I'm not sure if it's the reason I can't run?
What else can I do other than make a new project? Regardless of me being pretty early into making the game I would really not like to run into this issue later if I'm on the final stretch of the game.
Thank you!

chronosv2

HUD Assets cause a ton of bloat. If I were a gambling man I'd bet that's what's causing it. For a lot of the modules in the 4.0.x line HUD Assets fill things up super fast.

tapwater

Thanks for the reply Chrono!
Would you happen to know if there is a way I could remove anything that's unnecessary from the file structure? I wouldn't mind remaking everything to do with the HUD as it seems pretty straightforward to make. Just trying to prevent myself from starting over rather than starting from square one.

Also, I'm unsure if this is relevant to this issue, but looking through my projects folder I noticed that I have about 6 different versions of my main project:
IEL project.mst, project.mst.1, project.mst.2 ...etc

Could that be related by chance?

chronosv2

Honestly? I'd wait a few days for version 4.1.0 to come out. A lot of fixes and future-proofing has been done to make the system a lot easier to use and also a lot more flexible than it already was (and to me that's saying something!)
I know waiting's a pain but I think it'll be worth it.

And I believe the (filename).#.mst files are backups.

dale_coop

Staff member
Did you try to remove the HUD elements? (Select each one by one and remove the value in its « string » property)
Then just add 1 or 2 variables on your HUD...
or maybe it’s your bmp that is not the right size ? Did you try to replace it with the original bmp or with one from the betaAssets?

tapwater

Thank you Dale!
The fix was to remove all values within Hud assets, return all User variables to have an initial 0 value, and to change all HUD elements to 'none' with 0's in the X/Y coordinates.
The game is able to play, but I think some old HUD stuff caches and still displays, this was resolved by closing the app and restarting.

Thanks for all the help!

Top Bottom