How do you make a wall that disappears when the screen is triggered?

Bucket Mouse

I wouldn't be asking if Monster Lock worked. It doesn't.

Whenever I use it, both blocks are walk-through whether the trigger is active or not....also, one of the blocks has garbled graphics. This problem existed on the Adventure tutorial video, but I thought Joe kept the fixes he made in the final code??

Also, this is a village which means the "monsters" are NPCs....would that make a difference?

TurtleRescueNES

NPCs do not count towards Monster Locks. You should be able to have 1 real monster and 1 NPC and only have to defeat the 1 monster to unlock it.

Is the screen trigger number a unique value?

Bucket Mouse

The trigger is set from a dialogue box on another screen. After the text appears, the trigger is set.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unique value." The trigger applies to the next two screens, so in that sense, it wouldn't be unique (to just one of them).

TurtleRescueNES

I was talking about the Screen Type number on the Screen Info window.

So you want the wall to disappear based on the event happening on the other screen? As long as both screen share the same Screen Type number, you can do that. When you start the game, both screen should be in an untriggered state. So if you cause a trigger to occur, such as collecting a key, then any trigger-based action will also occur on any other screen sharing the same Screen Type number.

Now the problem with doing a Monster Lock wall is that there should be a monster around on the same screen to keep it up until you want it to go away. You could always try to stick an invisible monster in an unreachable place, just so the monster lock doesn't go away until your player performs the desired task on the other screen.

I don't know if any of that helps. I think I understand what you want to do, and it should be possible, but I could also be way off in interpreting your intentions. :)

mouse spirit

What i did to get around some monsterlock stuff is make a stationary monster that looks like a switch.I destroy the switch and the monsterlocks disappear. I am currently trying to make an npc trigger make the monsterlocks diappear but i am still learning some basics.
I then made a tile that triggers screentype and i made the player have to run through that tile.That way monsterlocks and screentypes are super saving.It all seems to work except the monsterlock tiles always come back,but now i can just walk though them.

dale_coop

Staff member
you need to set your constant "TILE_MONSTER_LOCK" value to match with the tile index (tile index number from your tileset)... when you re-enter on a triggered screen, a lot of tiles are replaced (monster locks, doors, ...) checking against those constants.
Read again the Monster Locks tutorial on the forum

Top Bottom