Patch 3.1.3 and tutorial video on how to implement

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
NICE! I'm sure once a certain number of monsters were created, you got some lag, no? I haven't really put it to the test, but I'd imagine around object 12 or 13, and that it never made more than 16 objects on screen at a time?

What you could always do is have it count the number of objects, and if it's less than, say, 8, make more....if it's not, just skip the creation code. Things like this. I was just curious to see if anyone could take what they learned and do a thing. So awesome, friend! Everything I see from you guys is hugely validating. Even if it's even me in a video game using HEX values as curse words! Because...sometimes thats what it looks like. haha

Rob Burrito

yes it seems like they will spawn 12-13 objects, instant slowdown at 12, and player objects (projectiles) can no longer be created by the inputs at that point. the items are collectible to get your player projectiles back. could probably code in with action steps three monsters each dropping three objects (totaling 9), and loop the last walking action of each monster to stop the spawning and still be able to shoot as the player. (*edit- that works. having two monsters drop four each and using the last two action steps to swap back and forth, no slowdown, and both player projectiles still working)

for clarity they are dropping 'pickups' for challenge 4, i'll be applying that to monsters spawning monsters for challenge 5. here's a pic of the full screen, sometimes it's 12 objects, other times it's 13. and when the monsters or player walks into a line with 6 of em you can see em disappear from being written. fun to know whats going on there, this whole time wasn't the games fault, and we were definitely NOT playing with power!

piles 2.PNG

Rob Burrito

challenge 5 i was able to get monsters to spawn, but the spawned og bug monsters are idle. still have (a slow) animation, and bounding box, but the spawned ones do not have the attributes of the original red bug monster. im guessing you'd have to either write or have the code call the monsters action list. purple guy is in motion here, red guys stomping in place:

monster spawn.PNG

also had a question about having another monster weapon/shoot at player i can't seem to get the script to work, it's in the last two lines there's an error compiling things (will compile if i delete those two lines)
gotVAimSpeeds:
LDX tempx

seem to be causing an issue. renaming gotVAimSpeeds: didn't work either. any thoughts? i have the hex projectile created, and it will appear, just not go anywhere. ignore all collisions is checked, thinking its the aimspeed code calling error?

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to look into why monsters aren't fully loading...that's a mystery. The projectile issue, i rather expect, though. The gotVAnimSpeeds would be a label, and you're correct in that it can't be duplicated. But LDX tempx shouldn't give you any issue. In the beginning of the routine, it PUSHES whatever is in X to the ram variable tempx. At the end of the routine, it returns tempx to x. So that should definitely not throw up an error (unless you had wrong capitalization or something...tempX or TempX wouldn't work...just tempx).

Eventually, I'll make this a subroutine, so that you wouldn't have to worry about renaming gotVAimSpeeds, either. Just didn't really anticipate being there yet ;-)

Here is my attempt at Patch 3.1.3 Beta Challenge.

https://youtu.be/jIfsh9Ierfs

I even added NPCs to my town, but they can't say the dialogue i wrote for them yet.

Attachments

• game-27.png
    game-27.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 4,260

dale_coop

Staff member
With the help of a good friend, who lent me his pc notebook, I succeed (tried my best) for this challenge and have a small video.
It was fun and very instructive (I watched again and again the tutorial videos on youtube), a lot of things to assimilate, to try, change and try again...

The most fun part was, in fact, playing with the monsters objects Actions.
Monsters_Actions.jpg

And my small video: https://youtu.be/6nFjxRQRnWk

In_game.jpg

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
This is awesome. Great job on the challenges! Look at that monster spawn little alien monsters! Love the unique graphics, too, and love your big tile-based "boss". :)

dale_coop

Staff member
Thank you, it was very interesting and fun playing around with the tool :)
Your tutorial videos was a great help (so entertaining).
Can’t wait for the new functionalities in the next beta.

DaDaugs

How to create a video with a watermark?

With Foto2Avi you can do it FOR FREE

You can make watermarks moving, rotating, fading in and out. In addition to the above a program has video montage functions enabling to add scenes to your video.

Logana

Here is my attempt at Patch 3.1.3 Beta Challenge.

View: https://youtu.be/jIfsh9Ierfs

I even added NPCs to my town, but they can't say the dialogue i wrote for them yet.
hey, do you have that ftm file for that still, i wanna study that, im not sure how some of thoughts sounds where made
i really like the style and general sound, also the game looks incredible i just love the player and the little slime things

Top Bottom