Super Beta Bros. 3 (AKA "My First NESmaker Game")

MistSonata

Finally finished the beta tutorial videos, and completed my first NESmaker game (which is also my first "finished" game, AKA not a prototype).

You can view a video of it here, or you can download the rom to try for yourself here (not sure why you would, but... eh).

I have no idea how long this all took me, considering I have problems focusing and I need to take lots of breaks, but it can't have been longer than 12 hours or so. Most of the time was spent watching the video, pausing, and then fiddling with the tool. Without the tutorial vids, though, I would've been absolutely lost in the sauce. It's complicated, but if I managed to come through it with a game that functions, I'm sure just about anyone can.

Still, I feel like I've got enough of a grasp that I can experiment with the tool on my own now, I just need to be cautious about making a new save file every time I do something major.

To do list:
  1. Fix tree tileset so that it plays better with the hit detection.
  2. Fix NESmaker logo (make 1 tile bigger, better proportioned) and title screen in general.
  3. Make new assets to replace the ones borrowed for the dungeon tiles and banshee
  4. Think of something better than a "win button"

By the way, unless someone has beaten me to the punch, I'm the first one to release a NESmaker rom! Like commenting "first!" on a new youtube video, only slightly less lame. :p

Bucket Mouse

I was wondering which of us would be first. Guess it's you.

You know, there was a pre-beta video released that showed how to make characters attack. I don't know if it's still how you do it in the current build.
Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV-rfyG5LTE

MistSonata

Quick update! New video of a playthrough. I've added my own monsters this time, including a witch character sprite who I'm calling "scarlet" for now. Also the start screen has been updated with some title font I made.

2C8UgOU.png

erockbrox

CONFIGULATIONS!!!

U DONE GUUD

PLEASE LEAVE

LOL!!!! hahahahah that was the funniest sh*t ever for the ending. yes. I will buy 10 copies of the carts please!!!!!!

MistSonata

I'm still messing around with it, but this is what the new forest tileset looks like so far.

QqeNSxO.png

kLsThYW.png

Still definitely needs some tweaking, but it's much improved gameplay-wise to how the original was.

MistSonata

On today's episode of "how much crap can I cram into a single sprite sheet", I've developed some of the sprites for some random enemies that I've gotten rather attached to. I've added some "hurt" poses to all of them.

The large one is named Violet the Witch, and the others are her urchins. Sort of child-like creatures, two of whom are based off of sea urchins. There's also two types of projectiles, a fireball and spines that'll shoot out of the purple urchin, as well as some random stuff like a torch, boomerang, and the top of a magic staff (these will probably not be used for now).

xquHLs0.gif

All these graphics are from this sprite sheet:

dJZHMtK.png

It should be noted that Violet herself is a decently sized 3x3 sprite tile character, so her design has to be pretty modular.

MistSonata

I don't know if anyone remembers the princess character I posted way back, but I've been working on her today and I think I'm mostly done. Unfortunately, the "waking up" animation I'm hoping to have her do when the game begins isn't going to be possible with the current beta version, so I thought I'd show it off.

Ei8OrlD.gif

Also here's some other stuff I've done messing around with palette limitations. My Ralph probably wouldn't work in an actual NES game, but it was still fun.

oGBtKVr.gif

grA5Ztq.gif

By the way, thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it :)

Mihoshi20

MistSonata said:
I don't know if anyone remembers the princess character I posted way back, but I've been working on her today and I think I'm mostly done. Unfortunately, the "waking up" animation I'm hoping to have her do when the game begins isn't going to be possible with the current beta version, so I thought I'd show it off.

Ei8OrlD.gif

Also here's some other stuff I've done messing around with palette limitations. My Ralph probably wouldn't work in an actual NES game, but it was still fun.

oGBtKVr.gif

grA5Ztq.gif

By the way, thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it :)

With that color of Felix, makes me think of what player 2 would have looked like.

virtuaricky

So is it considered taboo to share the actual project files with the community? I am someone who learns so much better by deconstructing. Would that be too much to ask? Is there a repository for that sort of thing?

MistSonata

virtuaricky said:
So is it considered taboo to share the actual project files with the community? I am someone who learns so much better by deconstructing. Would that be too much to ask? Is there a repository for that sort of thing?

I don't think it's taboo, I think it's just that people don't really know how to do it yet (like, what files should you include? do you need all the asm files? that sort of thing). However, if you're specifically interested in the game I showed off in this thread, there's nothing in there that I did that wasn't covered extensively in the tutorials.

Also, the "grim reaper" guy isn't mine. That's the graphic that came with the first beta tutorials.

Top Bottom