Nix: The Paradox Relic

Nix: The Paradox relic is almost done!

I have moved my main source of news on the game to it's official website and twitter account! If you are interested in them please check out the following links:

Official Website: https://paradoxrelicgame.com
Twitter account: https://twitter.com/NixParadoxRelic

If you are curious about it's early development, feel free to keep reading. I am leaving the old posts up.

===== Original Post ================================================

I have been lurking awhile, but my game idea has solidified enough I feel ready to announce it as a work in progress. I am currently waiting on 4.1 before I make any more gameplay changes, but I have a solid working prototype.

Title: Nix: The Paradox Relic
Genre: Platform Metroidvania
EDIT: DEMO ADDED TO ATTACHMENTS!
Game Description:
Become a top dog bounty hunter on the tail of dangerous rogues and vicious vixens. Stay sharp, and be prepared because its dog eat dog in this hair-raising space odyssey!

A group of dangerous space pirates have hidden in the abandoned Neoterica Research Facility, built into the side of a huge asteroid. The facility is very dangerous, the home of many fearsome monsters and failed experiments. Valuable relics and technology exist in the facility but most adventurers are to scared to try and enter it.

You are Nix, the only bounty hunter tenacious enough to enter the facility and take down the pirates. Use your special abilities as a Caniden to make your way deep into the facility, capture the pirates, and discover the secrets of Pandora's Box!

Looking forward to 4.1 to seriously dig into development. Check out the attached artwork and screenshots!FB_IMG_1541782706064.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1541784263151.jpg
    FB_IMG_1541784263151.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 4,739
  • FB_IMG_1541784256137.jpg
    FB_IMG_1541784256137.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 4,738

dale_coop

Staff member
Oh wow! Looks fantastic. Love your character <3
Do you have a gameplay video?
Can’t wait to try the demo ;)

Not made a video yet, but that won't be too difficult. I should be able to provide a demo soon. All I need to do is block off areas you shouldn't be able to access yet (test/unfinished boss battles). It has a few bugs, but they are the same ones everyone is dealing with right now.

This is actually a side project of mine, and when finished will act as a prequel to the big project I have been working on for the last couple of years.

Here is my demo, I blocked off areas that were buggy/incomplete/tests so it is pretty short. I actually have most of the map planned out on paper, just don't want to get ahead of myself and have more to remake when 4.1 comes out. Make sure you read the controls from that sign in the first room!

Also to let you know: The most annoying bug in my demo is if you shoot a bullet upward and it doesn't hit an enemy then you lose that bullet forever so be careful or you will be defenseless (not that the enemies are very threatening yet)

Dirk

Looks really cool and I love the move set you have implemented. Does ducking also change your bounding box so that you could dodge bullets?

I got stuck in the levels twice. Once when you come to the part with the skeleton crawling on the ground. When I tried jumping to the last platform I triggered a screen change, but of course I didn't reach the ground in the new screen and feel down. I reentered the screen on the bottom of the screen though and got stuck in the ground tiles.
After a few trials I managed to reach the next screen and tried jumping in the hole to the right.
I feel through the next screen and got stuck in the wall in the following screen.

jorotroid

Cool demo! I like all the art you have in the game so far. The back slide seemed backwards, but that probably because I'm just used to down and jump slides moving the player forward. It will be interesting to see how you plan on having players use that move.

I am curious as to why you chose to go against the grain and have B for Jump and A for Shoot. I personally think that these days anyone can get used to any control layout, but generally I have seen people get off put by controls that have B for Jump on NES games, so I am wondering why you felt that was best for your game.

I also noticed that you have that issue where the player will sometimes get stuck in the floor if they drop down a screen. Hopefully that will be fixed in 4.1, but for now it happens when you drop down a screen and there are solid tiles at the top of the screen above the hole. So you can just change the collision of those tiles to null and the player should drop down a screen fine. You just need to null enough rows to fit the player's bounding box in.

Another sort of quick fix is the palette errors that happen after a text box goes away. If you have the text box one row bigger or smaller, that error won't happen.

I am intrigued to see where you are taking this!

@Mihoshi20:
Thanks very much. I had a month without internet or work when Michael hit florida so I had plenty of time to be productive.

@Dirk:
Sadly bounding box doesnt change yet, but that is my intention when I can figure out how. I am aware of the getting stuck on screen change issue but haven't figured out a fix yet.

@Jorotroid:
The back slide is a dodge move to bait bosses into attacking. Still playing around with boss ai.
There are actually more down+B abilities you can cycle through with select:
Dodge
Forward slide
Super jump
Jump kick (jump, then down+b otherwise just a normal forward slide. Doesn't do damage yet)

Truthfully it somehow escaped my attention that my controls were backwards from the norm. I will probably swap that around now. Thanks.

Also thanks for the tips on fixing the getting stuck + text box glitches! I appreciate the help :)

Thanks to everyone for their compliments on my game. Its been my dream since I was a kid to make games, so it means a lot to see encouragement.

Dirk

I share this dream :)

I think MistSonata will make a tutorial for ducking once 4.1 hits the streets. I'm looking forward to it.
I somehow hope I'll find the time to figure out the ASM and how to do it myself, but I'm doubtful ^^

jorotroid

chronicleroflegends said:
@Jorotroid:
There are actually more down+B abilities you can cycle through with select:
Dodge
Forward slide
Super jump
Jump kick (jump, then down+b otherwise just a normal forward slide. Doesn't do damage yet)

Oh, awesome! I particularly like the feel of the jump kick. Though can't help but to wonder if you could streamline the activation of these abilities a bit rather than having to swap between them. On the other hand, the problem I might have right now is that you haven't yet implemented a way to notify the player which is the current active ability.

Well, I managed to fix the textbox issue, but I don't think I quite understand the warping into walls issue. I made the tiles walkable like you mentioned, but now instead of getting stuck I just fall into the void after warping to the wrong spot.

The current issues with the Hud are preventing me from showing which ability is equipped, but I plan to show it on the hud.

jorotroid

chronicleroflegends said:
I made the tiles walkable like you mentioned, but now instead of getting stuck I just fall into the void after warping to the wrong spot.

Hm. Weird. So for example, these are the tiles you would have made null on this screen? I wonder if the difference has something to do with the HUD because I have the HUD disabled for my game.

Attachments

• NullTiles.png
    NullTiles.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 4,553
No, you are right. I was disabling the wrong set of tiles. That fixed it. Thanks a lot!

Edit: Attached a version of the demo with the fixes you guys suggested. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Nix_v0_2.rar
    20.4 KB · Views: 157
Casperdj777 & RadJunk:

Thanks! I really appreciate the complements. I am back to working on the project now that 4.1 is out!

I have some new cool things working. Will update this thread when I work out the bugs I got from transitioning to 4.1 and have another demo ready.

Top Bottom