Custom Tileset problem

Vincent

Custom Tileset problem

Post by Vincent » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 pm

Hi guys,
I am experiencing a problem when importing edited bmp with photoshop in the game (4-8bpp), even if the editor shows tiles correctly all I see in emulator is a solid color,
I have tried switching custom tileset with default tilesets and they do show up, so I suspect it's a file format problem. How do you export tilesets?

dale_coop

Re: Custom Tileset problem

Post by dale_coop » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:45 pm

Check the dimensions of your tileset bmp (even I think it’s not the cause of your issue here)

And most important, set your sprite0. In then “HUD & boxes” as explained in this video :

Don’t forget, the tile (in your GameObjectTileset) needs to be a non-transparent color.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:44 am

Have you confirmed you have all the graphics contain only red blue green and black pixels? There's a button in the pixel editor to identify bad pixels.
"Turtle Rescue" updates can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=112
For more in-depth updates, please follow GossipTurtle on Twitter! https://twitter.com/TurtleRescueNES
AllDarnDavey

Post by AllDarnDavey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:17 am

My guess is you imported the bitmap for your tileset, but didn't convert them to use color indexing and pallets. After converting it to a format NESmaker will use the saved bmp should be a garish Red/Green/Blue/Black image if you look at it in photoshop.

It takes some work converting to palette compatibility to turn something like this:
Trees2.png
Trees2.png (905 Bytes) Viewed 218 times
into a file like this:
BckCHR_02.png
BckCHR_02.png (699 Bytes) Viewed 218 times
Vincent

Post by Vincent » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:41 am

AllDarnDavey wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:17 am
My guess is you imported the bitmap for your tileset, but didn't convert them to use color indexing and pallets. After converting it to a format NESmaker will use the saved bmp should be a garish Red/Green/Blue/Black image if you look at it in photoshop.

It takes some work converting to palette compatibility to turn something like this:
Trees2.png

into a file like this:
BckCHR_02.png
Which are the exact steps to do it? I've saved it as indexed bmp in PS, opened it in pixel editor and resaved as bmp.

Cheers
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:02 am

You have to set your tileset graphics in R, G, B and black. In the pixel editor there are tools to replace the colors... cf the pixel editor tutorial video.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
AllDarnDavey

Post by AllDarnDavey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean the bmp needed to be saved as an indexed bmp. The NES doesn't actually use texture files, it's graphics are just a list of pixels with one of four possilbe values, filtered through one of four pallets.

NESmaker does read a bmp file and convert it into these list of values the NES actually uses. But it'll only convert pixels that are (0,0,0)-black, (255,0,0)-red, (0,255,0)-green, and (0,0,255)-blue, any values that isn't one of those 4 colors isn't coverted when built.

Listen to dale_coop, and watch the pixel editor tutorial video. Specifically this part shows taking a full color graphic and converting it to something NESmaker can build.