[4.1.5] HUD issues...

SoulBlayzR

[4.1.5] HUD issues...

Post by SoulBlayzR » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:18 pm

1. The HUD changes colour on random rooms, seemingly when the screen's x is greater than 0.
2. Watch as I kill an enemy and get hurt at the same time. The number of hearts glitches out.
3. This has already been mentioned before but sometimes I have issues walking from screen to screen.
jsherman

Re: [4.1.5] HUD issues...

Post by jsherman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 pm

The workaround for the first issue is to paint all of the screen tiles underneath the HUD with the fourth palette. This can quickly be done by holding down the 'r' key. That should force the HUD to appear with the proper colors.

The second issue has been around for a while. My game has it too. I'm not aware of a fix at the moment.

The third issue has also been reported. If solid tiles on the left edge are preventing you from moving right, try moving the solid wall over one column and have walkable tiles on the first column. It may not be ideal, but it should let you continue to develop your demo until Joe returns and possibly issues a patch.
"Turtle Rescue" updates can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=112
For more in-depth updates, please follow GossipTurtle on Twitter! https://twitter.com/TurtleRescueNES
SoulBlayzR

Post by SoulBlayzR » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:00 pm

jsherman wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 pm
The workaround for the first issue is to paint all of the screen tiles underneath the HUD with the fourth palette. This can quickly be done by holding down the 'r' key. That should force the HUD to appear with the proper colors.
Your workaround didn't work for me...
(I also painted the row of tiles under it so you could see)
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:05 pm

In fact you need to paint the HUD area... of the next screen (because half of this HUD Area is painted with attributes from the next screen).
Give it a try...
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:06 pm

This is going to sound crazy, but do the same for any neighboring screens left and right, even if they are unused. This is because the game actually loads two screens at once into memory.
For more in-depth updates, please follow GossipTurtle on Twitter! https://twitter.com/TurtleRescueNES
SoulBlayzR

Post by SoulBlayzR » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:11 pm

Okay, that worked! Thank you!
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:14 pm

You're welcome. And nice start. I like that your healh meter is labeled "morale."
SoulBlayzR

Post by SoulBlayzR » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

(If you're a moderator, and can see this message, you're good to lock the thread)
phrotozoa

Post by phrotozoa » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:59 am

Heads up for anyone else who comes here looking for answers. If you paint all your HUD areas with the 4th palette and still have this problem and your screen does not have another screen beside it, create one and paint under the HUD there too.
going2maine

Post by going2maine » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:39 am

Sorry to dredge up an old one, but has anyone figured out the second bug on here?
Watch as I kill an enemy and get hurt at the same time. The number of hearts glitches out.
I've searched around and haven't found anything.