MOMOC - mine/build/sabotage/survive

Goaterby

MOMOC - mine/build/sabotage/survive

Post by Goaterby » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:59 pm

GAMEPLAY
In MOMOC, you play a combat engineer in a fantasy Meiji era Japan. Gather materials, build structures, avoid incoming enemy fire, tunnel, and lay fuse with the goal of detonating powder kegs planted beneath fortifications.

[apologies in advance, I managed to leave my mouse cursor in nearly every gif. Whups. Was in a hurry, unfortunately and didn't notice until after uploading]
Simple mining / material gathering.

Basic building. There are four main types of blocks available to build. I originally had many more, but cutting them down made the gameplay work much better, and focused the level design.

Fuse costs nothing, and is used to connect your flint and steel to powder kegs. Once you get back to your flint/steel, you can light the fuse by hitting downward with your pick!
(note that the slowdown you see was actually my computer, not the game. Fuses can be used on screen with 4 enemies and not usually cause slowdown)

You are going to have to use everything at your disposal to get through all the screens.

There are snipers across many of the battlefields. Their rifles are fast and their aim is true. Be wary.

Showcasing one of the unique enemy types. Cannon shells can destroy blocks, including anything you build!

Built over the past 5 weeks, the game incorporates several elements of gameplay I hadn't yet seen in an NES game, but very much wanted to see. Primary inspiration stems from THD's King Arthur's Gold for the PC, and Argonaut's King Arthur's World for the SNES.

I had to get rid of textbox scripts and a couple of other things to fit all the enemy behaviors / effects along with all the subroutines needed for mining / building etc. I could take out some more engine pieces to fit more, but all of the core gameplay is there.

MUSIC / SFX
There is no music, but there are many sounds, many of which are important for survival, like hearing a gunshot before you see it. Others are more for fun, but I tried to be innovative with them. For instance: your footsteps sound different depending on what sort of material you are walking on.

CONTROLS

NORMAL MODE (buildmode off)
============================================
DPAD -- moves in / faces the given direction. If you press left or right on a ladder while idle, you will fall off in that direction.
B -- swing your pick. Holding it swings it continuously. You can mine while holding onto ladders.
A -- jump. If you are on a ladder you jump upwards, releasing your grip.
SELECT -- turns buildmode on / off
START -- (does nothing as of build 31219, but in the future it will pause the game. In the Byteoff demo, it resets the screen)

BUILD MODE
============================================
DPAD -- faces the given direction. A briefly flashing reticule shows you where the block will be placed. It shows an X if it cannot be.
B -- swap the type of block you have in your hand
A -- places the given block. You can also build while on ladders.
--------------------------------------------------------------

While the Byteoff demo works for the most part, a terrible bug often crops up if you run forward quickly and mine / jump onto a ladder in a couple of stages with cannons and gunners. The player character will seemingly get stuck in the mine state, and nothing breaks you out of it. In reality, the player has actually been replaced with another object, and the game will freak out a bit if you try to reset the given level with the start button, creating two players, which makes things much worse. Only resetting the console fixes it, unfortunately. It has to do with improper X register addressing / lack thereof in several important control elements. In addition to this, the control scheme is very clunky on a keyboard unless it is the WASD GH KL setup in FCUEX. I would recommend a controller if possible.

The 31219 build is downloadable below, which fixes some things and has thus far not exhibited the aforementioned bug as readily (at least not so far), and is much more reliable. The colors are also now suitable for CRT viewing, though some of them may look odd on a modern screen (i.e. lack of contrast on enemies).

EDIT: Also of note, the campfire checkpoints currently do not work as they should. When killed, you will reset to the beginning of the particular screen you are on instead. Not really a priority to fix at the mo, though it is certainly odd, as they work in some emulators, and not in others (and not on original hardware, sadly).
Attachments
Momoc (demo build 31219).zip
(35.02 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by Goaterby on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mugi

Re: MOMOC - mine/build/sabotage/survive

Post by Mugi » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm

impressive. VERY impressive.
I'll definitely give this one a go. Totally out of the box mechanics definitely indicate the amount of work put into this.
Lother

Post by Lother » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Wow. That's original and it looks amazing!

As for the uploading problems, verify on your profile if you don't have too much downloadable attachment tied to you. The problem might come from that.
_____
The game I'm currently working on : FIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:19 pm

Wow! It's mind blowing... this screens and the mechanics show you did here a LOT of work! Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Can't wait to play (I bring it up to the top of my playlist... really need to try asap).
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Goaterby

Post by Goaterby » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Mugi wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm
impressive. VERY impressive.
I'll definitely give this one a go. Totally out of the box mechanics definitely indicate the amount of work put into this.
Thanks Mugi! Definitely stretched the tool in odd ways. I had to keep a list of all the rules I had to follow to not have it do strange things (for instance, only 1s and even numbered screens work properly in the overworld grid). It is in 4.1.0 at present, and doesn't work right in any of the other versions, interestingly enough, even when built from scratch / imported properly. this has a bit to do with changes they have made to tile macros, among other things.

Lother wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm
Wow. That's original and it looks amazing!
As for the uploading problems, verify on your profile if you don't have too much downloadable attachment tied to you. The problem might come from that.
Thanks Lother! Glad you think so! It means a lot, especially with how little time I had to cobble it together.

I have only uploaded several small images in the past, so it is a mystery to me. I will update if I figure something out.

--UPDATE-- AH. I had a lot of duplicate images in my attachments that were filling things up. Fixed and uploaded to the original post. Thanks for the tip!
dale_coop wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:19 pm
Wow! It's mind blowing... this screens and the mechanics show you did here a LOT of work! Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Can't wait to play (I bring it up to the top of my playlist... really need to try asap).
Thanks Dale! I will have it up soon. As a side note, your enthusiasm for helping the tool chug along and all the assistance you have given to everyone here is truly wonderful.
Redherring32

Post by Redherring32 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:22 am

This is absolutely amazing!!!
It's a gameplay mechanic I had been puzzling about, glad to see you pulled it off.
I definitely will play this very very soon, congrats! :)
My current WIP game: Shadow: An Adventure In Monochrome, you can also find me over at the Community Discord.
functionalform

Post by functionalform » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:43 am

I've been having a blast playing this now that i know what the controls are.

this is a seriously creative and fun game.
Bucket Mouse

Post by Bucket Mouse » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:32 am

If this had actually come out back in the day, it would've been a hit. There would've been a Captain N episode based around an inaccurate interpretation of it!

Do you really have to give up all text to have it though?
Goaterby

Post by Goaterby » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Redherring32 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:22 am
This is absolutely amazing!!!
It's a gameplay mechanic I had been puzzling about, glad to see you pulled it off.
I definitely will play this very very soon, congrats! :)
Thanks Redherring! I knew how to do tile swapping for a while, and even have a couple of gifs up here already demonstrating an entirely tile-based demo (search for the word 'Strategy' in this forum and you will find an old thread in the archive, though bear in mind much of the code there is filled with erroneous things). These sort of mechanics are fairly self explanatory in the macros / scripts available, though it definitely took a lot of code to make it work in a user-friendly manner. In addition to that, the vast majority of my time was spent figuring out the tool's quirks...
functionalform wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:43 am
I've been having a blast playing this now that i know what the controls are.
this is a seriously creative and fun game.
Thank you functionalform! It is wonderful to hear! I originally had the controls displayed on the bare-bones title screen, but I took it off because I thought manuals would be available with the game on download, or that they would be bundled for testing somehow. Definitely my bad-- I should've left the controls on the main screen. I tried to design the levels in such a way that you are forced to learn each of the mechanics in turn, if only by trial and error, so hopefully that helps to some degree. This being said, I am pretty worried that the control scheme for the arcade site being the horizontally inverted: arrow keys / ZX / SHIFT instead of the slightly more friendly WASD / KL / G.
Bucket Mouse wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:32 am
If this had actually come out back in the day, it would've been a hit. There would've been a Captain N episode based around an inaccurate interpretation of it!
Do you really have to give up all text to have it though?
Hah! Thank you Bucket Mouse! Yea it is interesting to think about these mechanics in another time. Many NES games were capable of having a screen full of destructable tiles (see Zelda 2, Blaster Master, Mario Bros 3, Castlevania 3, Vice Project Doom, etc.), but it seems that mechanics were just never dreamed up to match that sort of level design in a manner that is conducive to making an entire game that is not in the arcade style (see Soloman's Key, very similar mechanic, but different era / philosophy of design). We would have to wait for that magic progression of Dwarf Fortress (2006) / Infiniminer (2009) / King Arthur's Gold (early 2011) / Minecraft (late 2011) before the exploratory sandbox mechanics for such a thing became obvious, I suppose.

In regards to text, I could probably optimize things to fit some of it back in now, but it definitely had to go for the sake of the demo. The main part I took out was the box drawing routine, which is a huge script that I just wasn't using. The original plan was to have a branching path / multiwarp series of maps (Spring path, Summer path, Autumn path, Winter Path, etc.) so you could go on several different adventures, that which the text box routines are needed for to my knowledge (see Dale_Coops single screen multiwarp post), but in the time I had, it just wasn't going to happen. The game has a fatal lack of polish and explanation as it was (and still is), so it was cut to speed up last-minute mechanics / behavior development.

The main component that put it over the edge was Assassin behavior, I think. They actively find the player, and have routines to jump over walls and even over some gaps, and the amount of tile checks / logic that had to go into such a thing at the last minute was too much to handle.
BentPawGames

Post by BentPawGames » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:43 am

This is cool!