MIDI Keyboards

The Lenny

MIDI Keyboards

Post by The Lenny » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 pm

I know that some of you use a MIDI Keyboard of some sort to put your music together. What kind of keyboard should I be looking for?
rimoJO

Re: MIDI Keyboards

Post by rimoJO » Sat May 04, 2019 1:52 pm

...a midi keyboard, maybe? If you mean for famitracker, i think it has midi support. you'll just need a good keyboard and a midi cable, i think.
Mystery Game status: Currently at least one in development. Stay tuned!
shinmai

Post by shinmai » Sat May 04, 2019 4:32 pm

In Current Year, most musical keyboards hook up using USB. If you want a cheap option, don't need a ton of keys and don't care about aftertouch, pressure sensitivity, etc.the Akai Ipk25 and the Korg microKey are both very capable two-octave keyboards for around $50€. If you want something fancier, the sky's the limit all the way up to full 88 key boards with weighted keys that'll run you thousands.
WillElm

Post by WillElm » Sun May 05, 2019 3:53 am

You might find that you don't like using a keyboard to arrange in famitracker. Most trackers for computer have a feature where your computer keyboard becomes a musical keyboard. I don't remember if Fami does, it's been years since I've used it. Anyway, with trackers, you're mostly just inputting notes into what is basically a spreadsheet, and almost 100% of the time, it is not done in real time. If you look at Famitracker and get intimidated, try to give it a chance. Watch tutorials and spend time with it. I'm only saying this because trackers are simply an amazing way to compose music.
rimoJO

Post by rimoJO » Sun May 05, 2019 1:28 pm

basically you press "new instrument" then press the keys on your computer's keyboard then listen to your wonderful creation. that's pretty much it.
saturdayxiii

Post by saturdayxiii » Sun May 05, 2019 2:49 pm

I had so much fun with famitracker that I bought a tiny m-audio usb keyboard to use with it, in hopes of getting some familiarity with an actual instrument. I can't say whether or not it was worth it because bashing on a computer keyboard works fine too.
game things
Mr. Spooks Tall House (mostly broken demo)
Pingback (mostly working demo)
other things
https://saturdayxiii.tumblr.com
rimoJO

Post by rimoJO » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:29 pm

http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2696&p=16914#p16914