Squirrel Chaser DEMO AVAILABLE

Dirk

Re: Squirrel Chaser DEMO AVAILABLE

Post by Dirk » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:51 am

Hi, this is not a full review or test of your game, since I should have gone to bed hours ago, but I wanted to give it a quick test anyways.
How did you make the walk behind tiles?

Okay, what I wanted to tell you...

When I walk downwards from this screen
Squirrelchaserdemo_001.png
Squirrelchaserdemo_001.png (67.3 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
I get stuck in the trees here
Squirrelchaserdemo_002.png
Squirrelchaserdemo_002.png (79.73 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
(Luckily I have a "rewind" button on my controller so it doesn't matter for me, but for a regular player it would of course.)

Personally for me the dog is too slow so I cheat and use the "faster" button on my controller. But that's probably something you don't want to change or even can't since your A and B buttons have already functions assigned to them. Maybe "B + direction" would still work, or you could add a "double tap" function so pressing a direction once and then again would make the dog run. I have no idea how to implement this though ^^

Well, I'll head to bed now. I love the concept of your game. It's very creative and imaginative. I also love the cat ^^ (and the cute squirrels)
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.
SciNEStist

Post by SciNEStist » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:31 pm

That is very weird, the top of the fence is walk behind, but the bottom of the fence is supposed to be a solid, so you cant walk through it. the only way out is supposed to be the door, so I will fix that tonight. Until then, pretend the fence and house are solid :oops:

Just my luck that the first screen is glitched.

The trick to making good walk behind tiles is to make sure the tiles around it are blank, since the game engine puts the sprite behind ALL tiles when in contact with a walk behind tile. In this case, the transparent color is bright green instead of black so it looks more like grass.

I was concerned about how slow the main character is, I suppose I can either speed him up a bit or add a run button. Thank you for your feedback so far
SQUIRREL CHASER -In development
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:09 pm

I don't if I understand correctly. At the beginning I walked to the right and - I think - left the room how you are supposed to leave it. Then I walked to the left, beneath the fence on the grass. Then I walked down and got stuck in the trees. Or am I not to supposed to even be able walking under the fence like in picture 1?
-----
SciNEStist

Post by SciNEStist » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm

correct, it was my fault that you were able to get around there, you were not supposed to be able to escape the yard except for going through the house. Thank you for pointing out the flaw.
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 pm

Ah, okay. That also explains the noisy screens when you continue to the left. I didn't mention them as I thought they were simply placeholder screens.
-----
SciNEStist

Post by SciNEStist » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:36 am

updated with some fixes from feedback I got.

I fixed the issue on the first screen and sped up the player.
Attachments
Squirrelchaserdemo.zip
demo 1.1.1
(34.43 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
baardbi

Post by baardbi » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:44 am

Good job! I'm very impressed with the sound effects that fits the game perfectly.
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 am

I love the sniffing animation and those scent lines afterwards, very creative!
I also love the humor (for example: the toilette and the mortal enemy ^^)
Personally, for my taste, the dog is still a bit slow and his movement feels a bit slippery. I mean they way he stops has this "walking on ice feeling".
A general problem I have with games made with this module is the movement of the enemies or to be more precise how to kill them. Since they walk around randomly I have a hard time killing them. Until I've reached a good "killing spot" they've wandered off again. Also, since I don't stop immediately it makes positioning myself a bit harder. Maybe increasing the barking radius would help.

Oh, I also love how the dog doesn't die, but curls up the rest <3 At least that's how I'm interpreting it (I hope it's meant this way ^^)

(Re-reading my post... a lot love ^^)
-----
mouse spirit

Post by mouse spirit » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 pm

This looks great! I'll give it a go.

Edit: Loved it.
I am game, hear me blip.

WIP my game Star Rider
https://www.mediafire.com/file/phef252j ... p.zip/file